Can you use a HRM for Jillians workouts?

Options
2»

Replies

• glennam1
    glennam1 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I use my HRM for her shred and it works great!

If you are doing something for 2 minutes I wouldn't bother even logging, but if you do a bunch of them in a row, go for it!

Just recognize you aren't going to get your heart rate up with straight strength exercises.

Actually, you can get your heart rate up quite high with strength training exercises if you're using a challenging enough weight. I wear mine when I lift and often times on my heavy lifting days my heart rate is up as high as it is when I'm running, but the key is you have to use the appropriate amount of weights.

I use my HRM for any workout I use though! I have the Polar FT4 (I believe), my dad gave me his because he didn't really like wearing it, the only problem I'm noticing is recently it hasn't been picking up my heart rate when I first put it on, so any of you that have one, suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Have you tried washing the chest strap....I don't have that kind, but I've seen other people say to wash the strap..does it have a .battery?
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    An HRM works fine for JM because her workouts are circuit training and have a cardio aspect. :) I use mine all the time!

However, HRMs are NOT accurate for heavy lifting/strength training.
  • MrsSamB
    MrsSamB Posts: 144 Member
    Options

Have you tried washing the chest strap....I don't have that kind, but I've seen other people say to wash the strap..does it have a .battery?

You do need to wash the chest strap WEEKLY. There is a battery but, it detaches. There are cleaning instructions on the strap itself. I have the Polar ft4.

blessings,
    sam
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I just used my FT4 during a Jillian workout. I did Level 1 and Level 4 of Ripped in 30. I wasn't satisfied with 370 calories so I did Workout 1 of Kickbox FastFix. I'm happy with 557 calories.

And for the washing thing, the battery is detachable so the strap is washable. And you'll want to wash it. After a few workouts it gets kind of funky even if you're rinsing it well afterwards.
  • kristikay52
    kristikay52 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I use my HRM for her shred and it works great!

If you are doing something for 2 minutes I wouldn't bother even logging, but if you do a bunch of them in a row, go for it!

Just recognize you aren't going to get your heart rate up with straight strength exercises.

Actually, you can get your heart rate up quite high with strength training exercises if you're using a challenging enough weight. I wear mine when I lift and often times on my heavy lifting days my heart rate is up as high as it is when I'm running, but the key is you have to use the appropriate amount of weights.

I use my HRM for any workout I use though! I have the Polar FT4 (I believe), my dad gave me his because he didn't really like wearing it, the only problem I'm noticing is recently it hasn't been picking up my heart rate when I first put it on, so any of you that have one, suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I hand wash my chest strap in the sink with just a little bit of soap. I take the transmitter off of course so it's just the strap getting washed.

I've had mine about 2 or 3 months now..it was interesting to see how off MFP was on my cals!
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options

You do need to wash the chest strap WEEKLY. There is a battery but, it detaches. There are cleaning instructions on the strap itself. I have the Polar ft4.

blessings,
    sam

good to know! I'll definitely wash mine more often!
  • Hollyjd1019
    Hollyjd1019 Posts: 148
    Options
    I use my HRM with all my Jillian DVDs. I was alternating Shred It with Weights, No More Trouble Zones, & Kickboxing Fast Fix. And yesterday I decided to switch out and alternate between Ripped in 30 and Extreme Shed & Shred. She is really good at getting your heartrate up so I would definately use an HRM for all Jillian DVDs.
  • seckler
    seckler Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    You should also be sure to wet the strap before you put it on or it won't pick up your heart rate.
  • croberson8711
    Options
    You should also be sure to wet the strap before you put it on or it won't pick up your heart rate.

Wet the strap or wet the part that has the battery? That's the part that confuses me.
  • xqueenbee24x
    xqueenbee24x Posts: 271 Member
    Options

Wet the strap or wet the part that has the battery? That's the part that confuses me.

Wet just the strap before every use. When you get your HRM the strap will have two sensor strips on it, that is the part you want to wet. Then, after wetting the sensors and putting the strap on you can attach the little battery piece, put on your watch and begin your workout!!!!
  • croberson8711
    Options
    Ohhh okay,awesome. Thanks for the info! :) my HRM will be here Tuesday, I can't wait to see how much I'm burning!
  • dwiebe85
    dwiebe85 Posts: 123
    Options
    Anyone else know if the calories you burn during strength training are good enough to log into MFP?