how much fat is to LITTLE?

Options
gayje
gayje Posts: 230 Member
I watch my calories, fat, sodium and fat very carefully. I eat 1200 to 1700 grams of sodium per day or less and my fat intake is low, as in 18 grams on a low day to 35/40 grams on a high day. I freak out if I eat a high amount of fat but a friend told me that I'm not eating ENOUGH fat most days.

Is eating less than 20 grams of fat per day to low? Is it "dangerous" like she suggests?

Replies

• Sean_The_IT_Guy
    Options
    Eating fat won't make you fat, unless you go way over your calorie budget. The more fat you eat, and less carbs you eat, the more your insulin will level out, and the more your body will be able to mobilize your body fat for energy. I'd be more worried about limiting your carbs than your fat if you're trying to drop.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    All of the cells in your body contain fat. So if you don't eat enough of it, you're denying your body one of it's most important requirements. Studies have shown that people on ultra-low fat diets have worse cholesterol than people on high fat diets. Fat also helps absorb nutrients in your intestine. Healthy fats have all sorts of health benefits, and even saturated fat has been shown to have some health benefits as well in moderation.

In fact, in a calorie controlled diet, fat may be healthier for you than carbs:
    Guldbrand, H., Dizar, B., et al. In Type 2 Diabetes, Randomization to Advice to Follow a Low-Carbohydrate Diet Transiently Improves Glycemic Control Compared with advice to Follow a Low-Fat Diet Producing a Similar Weight Loss. Diabetologia. 2012. Published Ahead of Print.

So don't worry about eating fat!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    All of the cells in your body contain fat. So if you don't eat enough of it, you're denying your body one of it's most important requirements. Studies have shown that people on ultra-low fat diets have worse cholesterol than people on high fat diets. Fat also helps absorb nutrients in your intestine. Healthy fats have all sorts of health benefits, and even saturated fat has been shown to have some health benefits as well in moderation.

Guldbrand, H., Dizar, B., et al. In Type 2 Diabetes, Randomization to Advice to Follow a Low-Carbohydrate Diet Transiently Improves Glycemic Control Compared with advice to Follow a Low-Fat Diet Producing a Similar Weight Loss. Diabetologia. 2012. Published Ahead of Print.

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Under .35g per lb of bw is getting on the low side. You'll feel it after a few days if you don't get sufficient dietary fat intake. It affects brain function (memory), sanity, satiety, libido, etc.

Try to stay within .35g - .75g per lb of bw.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Eating fat won't make you fat, unless you go way over your calorie budget.

^^^^^
  • ahamm002
    Options

The point was for the OP not to be afraid of eating fats anymore. If you're going to nit-pick any study I post, then have fun with these:

1. http://content.karger.com/ProdukteDB/produkte.asp?Aktion=ShowPDF&ArtikelNr=229002&Ausgabe=250361&ProduktNr=223977&filename=229002.pdf

2. http://content.karger.com/ProdukteDB/produkte.asp?Aktion=ShowPDF&ArtikelNr=229004&Ausgabe=250361&ProduktNr=223977&filename=229004.pdf

The bottom line is that the OP shouldn't be afraid of eating fat. Although I'm sure if you try hard enough you can find some fault with most studies evaluating diets.
  • Acg67
    Options

The point was for the OP not to be afraid of eating fats anymore. If you're going to nit-pick any study I post, then have fun with these:

1. http://content.karger.com/ProdukteDB/produkte.asp?Aktion=ShowPDF&ArtikelNr=229002&Ausgabe=250361&ProduktNr=223977&filename=229002.pdf

2. http://content.karger.com/ProdukteDB/produkte.asp?Aktion=ShowPDF&ArtikelNr=229004&Ausgabe=250361&ProduktNr=223977&filename=229004.pdf

The bottom line is that the OP shouldn't be afraid of eating fat. Although I'm sure if you try hard enough you can find some fault with most studies evaluating diets.

How do those studies support your claim "In fact, in a calorie controlled diet, fat may be healthier for you than carbs:"?
  • ahamm002
    Options

How do those studies support your claim "In fact, in a calorie controlled diet, fat may be healthier for you than carbs:"?

I bolded a key word for you.

The studies show that there is no conclusive evidence linking total fat intake to diabetes, obesity, CHD, etc. Other smaller studies like the first one I linked have demonstrated that high fat diets *may* be superior to high carb diets (emphasized the key word for you there again). Of course as you noted the first study only looked at diabetics, but that's kind of a common disease. It's not like it's some rare disorder that doesn't apply to anyone on this website. Therefore I stand behind my initial claim.
  • Acg67
    Options
    The studies show that there is no conclusive evidence linking total fat intake to diabetes, obesity, CHD, etc

Which does not support your claim at all

ther smaller studies like the first one I linked have demonstrated that high fat diets *may* be superior to high carb diets (emphasized the key word for you there again). Of course as you noted the first study only looked at diabetics, but that's kind of a common disease. It's not like it's some rare disorder that doesn't apply to anyone on this website. Therefore I stand behind my initial claim.

Define common and exactly how does a study done on diabetics apply to the population at large?
  • ahamm002
    Options
    The studies show that there is no conclusive evidence linking total fat intake to diabetes, obesity, CHD, etc

Which does not support your claim at all

ther smaller studies like the first one I linked have demonstrated that high fat diets *may* be superior to high carb diets (emphasized the key word for you there again). Of course as you noted the first study only looked at diabetics, but that's kind of a common disease. It's not like it's some rare disorder that doesn't apply to anyone on this website. Therefore I stand behind my initial claim.

Define common and exactly how does a study done on diabetics apply to the population at large?

Sure, I'll get right on preparing a several page article that defines words like "common," and discusses in depth how some health and diet advice to diabetics might apply to the population at large. You certainly earned it afterall with your several one sentence posts . . . . actually nope, you just earned a sarcastic reply.
  • gayje
    gayje Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Eating fat won't make you fat, unless you go way over your calorie budget. The more fat you eat, and less carbs you eat, the more your insulin will level out, and the more your body will be able to mobilize your body fat for energy. I'd be more worried about limiting your carbs than your fat if you're trying to drop.

Thank you! This is what I started wondering yesterday. I've been eating VERY low fat most days and I am craving carbs like never before. Because of this, I've lost and gained and then lost again the same stinkin' 8 pounds. I'm going to up my fat intake and attempt to lower my carbs by 20% for a few weeks and see how I'm feeling. Right now, I feel terrible and that's not just because of the sinus and ear infections I have...I can't concentrate, have NO energy and overall seemed scatterbrained. Yikes!

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated folks!