How do you NOT give in to temptation??

Options
So I am having trouble staying on track with MFP. I usually use the iPhone app, it's so easy and convenient but my phone is away getting repaired so I have to get on the computer (which I rarely do anymore).

I have to plan ahead with my meals which is fine. I don't think that I am not getting enough food, most times I am quite satisfied but on a day like today it's a struggle, I was in a hurry at work then had to hurry home, ate lunch quite early and I was starving by the time I got home and had a headache, so I started baking a cake and started eating the mixture etc and then I thought I should just give in and eat the chocolate I have in the house.

I know it is still early days and all but I just don't know how to get through those days, I don't want to completely deny myself my beloved chocolate and sweets etc but at the moment I am just not sure how to NOT give in.

Does it get easier??

Any tips you have would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Kylie :smile:

Replies

• slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I don't buy temptation from the store. Sweets come up enough at work/parties/dates that I don't feel deprived. I do keep a rich dark chocolate bar handy. A small bit is all I need because it's strong!
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate sugar free jello pudding is awesome as are the multiple naughty flavors of low cal yogurt.
    Thin and crispy pizza has 40% less cals than pan pizza.
    Whole wheats keep you full longer.
    Strawberries, blueberries, and watermelon are awesome fillers and awesome for you!! (especially with redi-whip)
    Sugar free jello is awesome =)
    frozen cinnamon graham with redi-whip between = 75 cals

As far as being hungry, carry snacks with you. I always have almonds, a low cal granola bar (you can get chocolate ones with only 90 cals!), and usually cheerios (100 cals for a whole cup!!)

Try to learn to eat smaller portions more times during the day (I plan 6 meals a day, not 3), buy a cupcake instead of eating a cake, check out the recipe board, eat redi-whip on everything low cal.

Best of luck to you!!! You can do this. You deserve to be happy and healthy =)
  • mhornbaker
    Options
    Oooo redi whip between frozen cinnamon grahams... That sounds amazing
  • SilkyHotspur
    SilkyHotspur Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I don't buy temptation from the store. Sweets come up enough at work/parties/dates that I don't feel deprived. I do keep a rich dark chocolate bar handy. A small bit is all I need because it's strong!

I've found Sugar Free Dark Chocolate from Wegman's in the bulk aisle....really good. The fact that i have it with a glass of Pinot is beside the point.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • thriftycupl
    thriftycupl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    When I want something bad for me, I try to drink more water, drink flavored water (some of them have zero calories or low calories) or try chewing gum. If these things don't work, I get up and take a short walk. Do not deprive yourself of everything. It becomes very hard. If you have to have some chocolate, cut back and eat smaller portions and just log everything you eat.

It does get easier as the days go by.

Hang in there. If you need more friends for support, feel free to add me.
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    ~ Indulge in " small doses " .... make sure it is completely accountable and fits in nicely with a well balanced day. After awhile the " need " begins to diminish and the healthier choices become favorable. Don't deny yourself ... just be smart about it.

:flowerforyou:
  • Lasirenn
    Lasirenn Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I was once told you can't beat temptation. You can only avoid it. And that's always been true for me. If I buy cookies from the store, I'm not going to eat them in moderation. I'm going to eat a whole sleeve. If I leave them at the store, I won't eat any. When I'm out and about, it's less tempting unless I'm starving. Food out costs too much for me to want to buy it to satisfy a craving. But at home, for my sweet tooth, I have little "harmless" sweet things like dark chocolate (80-90% cocao), apple sauce cups with no added sugar or Chobani Champions, which are little Greek yogurt cups for kids.
  • SingeSange
    SingeSange Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I don't buy the foods that I know will tempt me because if they're in the house, I'm gonna eat 'em!! However, I can't deprive myself or I feel like I am going crazy! So then I'll just stop at the store and buy something: 1 can of coke (coke is my BIG challenge!); a chocolate bar (the 100 calories ones out now are a good choice!); a cupcake instead of a whole cake; a tall non-fat frappucino rather than a venti.... You get the picture.
    So I don't deny myself completely, but when I "give in" to those cravings I do it on a smaller scale rather than the binging I used to do.
    Stay strong!!! You can do it!!!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    To keep myself from falling off the wagon, so to say, I make sure I have satisfying meals (5 small). That way if I do want something (like the chocolate I had today), it is only a small amount and doesn't set me back.

Leaving home is a challenge, and that is when I make sure to get those nutrients in my body so I stay comfortable and able to fend off bad food choices!

My favorite secret weapons right now are ...
    Designer Whey...low carb/fat/cal but high protein and helps energize/satisfy!
    Plain greek-style yogurt...sometimes sweetened with stevia and sometimes topped with chocolate syrup!!
    Cottage cheese...loaded with protein

Today I was out shopping and got a In-n-Out double meat no cheese ...and popped over to Jamba Juice for a whey boosted lo-cal smoothie. Not bad macros for a satisfying meal!!

Also i have pretty much handed over any baking activities to others, because that activity kills my diet!!!

:)MinMin
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I think about why I want what I want. Is it something salty I'm craving? Something sweet? A distinct texture, temperature or flavor? Once I've identified exactly what I want to get out of the food I'm craving, I look up a recipe for something that gives me the sensation I want without the guilt, or just mess around in the kitchen and create my own.

I've come to embrace my cravings as a challenge not to my willpower, but to my creativity. It's a puzzle waiting to be solved.
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I buy healthier snacks to keep at home and I keep some dark chocolate at work as well. When temptations come up at work and I see others eating cake or cookies, I can't resist and I have to have a piece, but it's easier to limit myself to only one piece at work because I don't want everyone else to think I'm a pig (I would lick the frosting off of the plate if no one was there to see me do it, lol) -- so I can't have those kind of things in my house or I would devour them.
  • Asprina
    Asprina Posts: 5
    Options
    I have alot of unhealthy stuff in the house since my husband and kids more or less refuse to give it up (more hubby though kids would comply if he did) but lately with the scales actually moving and getting close to my first goal (ultimate goal is still far away), I just have to remind myself of how close I am. I still have something I really want at times but tell myself I must exercise first in order to treat myself. No exercising no reward. It gets my butt up and moving that way. I tell ya what though... The cravings for sweets anymore have been less and less. I get my fix in the morning with my coffee, sweetend with fat free caramel vanilla creamer and that's all I seem to need. I gave up alot and that's just one thing I can't so I fit it into my cals every day.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    So I am having trouble staying on track with MFP. I usually use the iPhone app, it's so easy and convenient but my phone is away getting repaired so I have to get on the computer (which I rarely do anymore).
    Better meal planning ahead of time (and also for snacks) is definitely key to helping to keep on track
    I have to plan ahead with my meals which is fine. I don't think that I am not getting enough food, most times I am quite satisfied but on a day like today it's a struggle, I was in a hurry at work then had to hurry home, ate lunch quite early and I was starving by the time I got home and had a headache, so I started baking a cake and started eating the mixture etc and then I thought I should just give in and eat the chocolate I have in the house.
    Try to find the time to sit down and review your last six weeks of intake and see where you went with it. Try to indentify where you can add more vegetables into your daily intake, evaluate if you have had enough water. Did you have alot of processed foods? Boxed foods? Convenience foods? That will cause triggers thus getting hungry like you previously mentioned.
    I know it is still early days and all but I just don't know how to get through those days, I don't want to completely deny myself my beloved chocolate and sweets etc but at the moment I am just not sure how to NOT give in.

Sounds like better meal-planning ahead might not be enough if you cant control your sugars. Give yourself a good one week (maybe two) to thoroughly clean your system of this and revamp your entire intake to only real foods. Learn to look for other types of 'treat'-foods... for example, Im a BIG fan of freezing sliced strawberries. Pop a slice in your mouth and its like freaking CANDY!!!!!!! Red Grapes freeze up just as good too!!!
    Does it get easier??
    Easier is determined by how motivated you are to reconfiguring your intake, making the necessary changes and learning to adapt to stressful situations that will tie in to your meal planning efforts.

You can do this but you have to want to make the commitment happen.
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Go buy a little note book. That why you can keep track yourself.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    If it's happening mostly on the days when you have an early lunch, why not have an afternoon snack? Plan for them in advance, or have something that is filling but not too caloric, like an apple or extra-dark chocolate.
  • lordofthethings
    Options
    Duct tape. Three layers, tightly wound. Works for me.
  • lordofthethings
    Options
    I also fill up on flavored herbal tea. Not as effective as duct taping my mouth closed, but fills the bottomless abyss that my belly has turned into since the third baby. (haha)
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Healthier alternatives of what I'm craving.... Its not that bad.

If it is that bad, I either ignore it (drink water, go for a walk) or eat it. Within moderation of course. Never deprive yourself.
  • TheSlimWithin
    Options
    1) I don't buy it.
    2) I make it too much effort to reach.
    3) I make someone else keep hold of it.
    4) I put an alternative with the exact same calorie amount (but better) next to it. E.g. 1 square of chocolate = 1 satsuma. :)
    5) Or if I do want to give in, I only eat it on days I work out so I have spare calories.

It's all about finding something that works for you. :)