Family sabotage!

Options
I've decided to really give this a good kick - and what happens (repeatedly) is family sabotage! Anyone else experience this?

I end up with family on a weekend and made to feel guilty if I don't attend... and then whoa it turns into a total food, wine, whatever fest... like mental. What's the point?

I WANT to get fit but get labelled as a misery or laughed at if a) I don't attend or b) attend and dont partake.

Any ideas guys?

Fed up - I just wanna make myself happy but not hurt others too!

Replies

• nlawing
    nlawing Posts: 36
    Options
    You are in complete control of your body and what goes into it. Not them.

Partake, don't go overboard. Willpower > peer pressure.

If you are close to going over your calories for the day, then don't eat anything else or do extra cardio.
  • wasveganvictoria88
    wasveganvictoria88 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I tend to do a bit more exercise before i go to stuff like this then I've got some reserves :) either that or take something with you that you know you can safely eat/drink. Make something that everyone else can have too :)
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    You are in complete control of your body and what goes into it. Not them.

Partake, don't go overboard. Willpower > peer pressure.

If you are close to going over your calories for the day, then don't eat anything else or do extra cardio.

this ^ so true, I'll have to remember this myself. Thanks
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    I have this problem with my family buying me "treats" if my willpowers at a low I have to avoid visting all together.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are doing fine with controlling what you eat. It may be more of a problem with family relationships. Sometimes people in families don't like for someone to "rock the boat". Are any of them overweight? If so, you getting healthy may feel threatening to them. Stay strong in your convictions. :happy:
  • 5kidsforme
    5kidsforme Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'm just really careful and pay close attention to what I'm putting in my mouth at family gatherings. Also, I really try to take the focus off the food and onto relationships. I seek out people that I haven't talked to in awhile and really have a good conversation. This keeps my mind off the all the delicious food and wine, etc. I don't go to an event hungry either - if I did then I would lose control and overeat.
  • mrsfickle
    mrsfickle Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I deal with this too!!! Very frustrating!!! It is difficult enough to avoid temptation without the constant reassurance from my thin family that I can have the cupcake, "it's a party!" Rather than discuss my weight loss/diet at every function, I use other tactics like pushing food around on my plate, distracting the ones who are solely focused on it, and making lame excuses as to why I didn't have a lemon bar. Believe me I am a strong person- but I do not want to spend time with my family deconstructing my food choices, my weight loss, and exercise plan.
  • benich3043
    benich3043 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Partake, but in moderation.

Or.........

Laugh and make fun of them when you look twice as good and they didn't partake in healthy time. Revenge is a dish best served with lower calories!

Like stated before, you are the one in charge of your body. Take charge, push forward and ignore the comments. If they are your family they should understand and support your decision.
  • DeniseB0711
    DeniseB0711 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. Come armed with a plan. Have a glass of wine, a few peices of cheese and work out like there's no tomorrow.

Denise
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    My family was like this at first also, I either refuse to partake or I will bring my own food. After awhile your family just gets use to it or at least mine has. My Mom admires my determination and actually wants me to make her a meal plan for when she gets back from Istanbul now. So eventually ( or at least in my case ) you get respect for being so determined.
  • aquapup
    aquapup Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I try to keep a water or a diet coke in my hand at all times and drink that. Also chewing gum so my mouth is full already. I have this problem big time though, my family gatherings are like candy land (even if they are at my house people bring all kinds or dessert). Also I try very hard to stick to this - if you aren't hungry enough to eat carrots you aren't hungry enough to eat a giant piece of cake!
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    People tend to mock what they don't understand.

If you know you are headed to a family event, plan ahead. Eat lighter throughout the day leading up to the event and get in some exercise. Then, use good judgement for portions and amount of alcohol consumed.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Only YOU can sabotage yourself. No one else can.