Fat Content v Calorie Intake

So my question is, even though you are eating within your calorie intake guideline, can the fat content (eg: in a cupcake) be pushing the scales up?

So say you eat well for the rest of the day but you treat yourself (which I did because it was my birthday), can you gain more weight by allowing this treat even though it was in my guideline? x

Replies

• nlawing
    nlawing Posts: 36
    The law of thermodynamics says no.

Ever heard of the guy who did the Twinkie diet? He ate twinkies, oreos, doritos, etc.. for 10 weeks, but he ate in a caloric deficit and lost 27 lbs.

I wouldn't worry about it. The 80's made us think that fat is the devil, but that's simply not true.
  • MustBeTheRows
    MustBeTheRows Posts: 377 Member
    Simply put no.

I'm sure you can find lots of confusing information on the thermodynamics of different macro nutrients and their effects on weight loss etc. While not a healthy option you can lose weight eating nothing but junk food. It's all about creating a calorie deficit.

I eat cupcakes. They're delicious.
  • Warley_x
    Warley_x Posts: 62
    Thanks guys :) I was starting to put myself down for treating myself (even though it was my birthday!) but it may just be water retention. & yes cupcakes are delicious! :tongue:
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    All food break down into calories in the end.

Carb / Protein = 4 cals per gram
    Fat = 9 cals per gram

So if you're within calorie range, you're fine.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Nope1 Fat doesn't make you fat. Eating above your TDEE does.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    calories in vs. calories out is what makes yo lose weight.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Calories win of course. However if it was your birthday perhaps you had a saltier meal or some other unaccustomed food and got a bit of water retention. Most morning after weight is sodium or unaccustomed foods slowing your digestion. :flowerforyou: