What speed to you run at doing C25K?

Options
Just starting this program and run at 6 mph for the running intervals. This is fine for a minute or 90 seconds but I'm concerned I won't be able to keep it up as the running intervals get longer! Just wondering at what pace other newbies to the program chose or if anyone else who has finished the program had similar concerns when they started? maybe fear of the unknown! :smile: Thanks to all who reply!

Replies

• Bmontgomery613
    Bmontgomery613 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 7 and I average a 13:30 minute mile. I'm sure others will be faster, but this is the pace where I can run for the entire 25 minutes, so it works for me. :)

ETA: And yes, I did have the same fear when I started. I thought that I'd never be able to run for longer than a minute at a time. You'll get there. :)
  • JSheehy1965
    JSheehy1965 Posts: 404
    Options
    I found that if I set the treadmill to 4.6mph which is about 12 to 13 minutes for a mile it was a comfortable pace for me...as I have finished up on the C25K I'm now running faster, but I wanted to build up endurance first rather than speed. Hope that's helpful?
  • hahandel
    hahandel Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I started the program at a 12 min pace, I'm on the last week and I'm running at an 11:10 pace. I transitioned to outside at 7 weeks and that's when my pace increased.

Good luck!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    4.5 mph to 5 mph. 5 on the shorter legs, and down to 4.5 for the full 5K. I did my last 5K park run averaging about 4.7 mph.

I'm trying to work on my speed now, but I'm just so dang thrilled I can run 3.1 miles that I don't care how slow I am!
  • LifeIsNotADressRehearsal
    Options
    I started the program at a 12 min pace, I'm on the last week and I'm running at an 11:10 pace. I transitioned to outside at 7 weeks and that's when my pace increased.

Good luck!

I find it interesting that your pace increased outside! I used to run outside about a year ago and recall finding it more difficult than the treadmill! Maybe using this program will make a difference!? Think I'll try sticking to the 6 mph and see what happens as i progress through the program.....yikes! Thanks so much for all your replies!
  • hahandel
    hahandel Posts: 134 Member
    Options

Good luck!

I find it interesting that your pace increased outside! I used to run outside about a year ago and recall finding it more difficult than the treadmill! Maybe using this program will make a difference!? Think I'll try sticking to the 6 mph and see what happens as i progress through the program.....yikes! Thanks so much for all your replies!

I always ran at a 2% incline on the treadmill, so my transition to outside wasn't as difficult as it seems for some. I guess my natural pace was faster than I was setting the treadmill at.
    Options

Good luck!

I always ran at a 2% incline on the treadmill, so my transition to outside wasn't as difficult as it seems for some. I guess my natural pace was faster than I was setting the treadmill at.

That's exactly where I have my incline set. You give me hope - thanks for sharing!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I did my "run" portion at a blistering pace of about 16 minutes/mile. If that's you in your avatar, I can assure you that I was starting from a VERY different place. But I'm posting this anyway in case there are others who might be starting where I was. I now run 20-25 miles a week at a marginally faster pace (14-15 minutes/mile). A "brisk" walk for me is 20-22 minutes/mile.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options

Good luck!

I didn't have much difficulty transitioning to outside either. My pace didn't change much though. I apparently had found my natural pace on the treadmill already.
    Options
    I did my "run" portion at a blistering pace of about 16 minutes/mile. If that's you in your avatar, I can assure you that I was starting from a VERY different place. But I'm posting this anyway in case there are others who might be starting where I was. I now run 20-25 miles a week at a marginally faster pace (14-15 minutes/mile). A "brisk" walk for me is 20-22 minutes/mile.

Thank you! I just looked at your profile page and all I can say is wow - don't even know you and I'm proud of you! Great sense of ha ha to boot! Very inspirational :smile:

P.S. that is me in my post - been as high as 213 though so I can tell you it has been a struggle!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options

Thank you! I just looked at your profile page and all I can say is wow - don't even know you and I'm proud of you! Great sense of ha ha to boot! Very inspirational :smile:

P.S. that is me in my post - been as high as 213 though so I can tell you it has been a struggle!

Thank you -I'm kind of proud of me too! Yes, I have an offensive squirrel and an uncooperative dog to thank for getting my life back lol. You look fabulous! One day, I hope to post a "success story" and I can only dream that I will look 1/2 as good as you already do! That is what inspires me.