Smoothie Advice

Options
Hello! I just bought a sweet little food processor with the hopes of making breakfast smoothies this summer... but, I have no idea what I'm doing. If anyone has any recipes, I would really appreciate the help!

Also, I think I need to use protein powder but a friend told me to only drink protein powder after a workout (and I workout in the afternoon, not mornings). Any advice?

Replies

• hipsdontlie1
    hipsdontlie1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    For my smoothies I usually buy the huge no name bags of mixed fruits (strawberries, cantelope, grapes, mango, pinapple) because they last forever. There are lots of different types of frozen fruit so just buy whatever you like. Then I usually add plain or vanilla pro-biotic yogurt. (greek yogurt is also very good- good protein), and I just add orange juice! or whichever type of juice you like. So I usually use 1 cup of fruit, 1/2-1 cup of juice and like 3 table spoons of yogurt!
  • kellico28
    kellico28 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much!
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I make several different smoothies, but this one is my favorite:

1 cup milk (whatever you like 2%, soy, almond)
    1 scoop vanilla whey protein
    1 sliced apple w/ skin
    1 tbsp peanut butter
    1 tsp cinnamon

Blend w/ ice!
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I drink protein shakes every day for breakfast, whether I am working out or not. It helps me make my protein goals and it just fills me up better than anything else. Mine consists of 1 scoop Jay Robb chocolate whey protein powder, 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1 Tbs peanut butter, a handful of baby spinach and/or 1/2 cup frozen blueberries and ice.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I've never used a food processor for this, just a regular old reversible blender. Your imagination is the limit, just be sure to balance the liquid vs solids vs ice, and you'll be fine.

1 cup of milk (cow, almond, coconut)
    1/4 cup of yogurt, greek yogurt, or cottage cheese
    1.5 cup of frozen or fresh fruits (banana, strawberry, mango, wild blueberry, cherry, pineapple, etc)
    1 scoop of vanilla or unflavored protein powder
    4-6 medium (automatic-ice maker) ice cubes, 2-3 if large and from a tray
    A small handful of greens or other stuff (sprouts, baby spinach, chia)
    Lime or lemon juice to offset the greens
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    you dont HAVE to drink it after a work out. I usually don't to be honest. This one tastes so good...like something from Orange Julius...
    1 scoop chocolate whey protein (I use gold standard 100% whey extreme milk chocolate)
    1 cup orange juice
    1 banana
    3/4 cup frozen mango chunks

NOM NOM NOM

This one is super healthy and yummy
    1 scoop chocolate whey protein
    1 cup vanilla unsweetened almond milk (or whatever milk you prefer)
    1 cup spinach
    2 tblspn milled flax seed
    1 cup frozen berry medley (dark berries)
    4 tblspns of pb2

YUM
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Protein is good at any meal, especially breakfast, powdered or not.

I don't know if your food processor is strong enough to really puree spinach like the high-speed blenders like a Vita Mix, but it's a great way to add greens to your diet.

Also, banana or avocado makes the smoothie emulsify better. You can freeze ripe bananas for smoothie use.

If you want to make a smoothie more meal-like, add some oats.

It's really easy to make a 500 calorie smoothie without realizing it, especially when adding protein powder. Be careful and consider splitting the biggies into two servings.
  • BWinsto1
    BWinsto1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Strawberry Banana Smoothie

Quick & Easy

Serves 2

Ingredients

3 cups frozen strawberries
    2 bananas
    1 cup water
    1 cup of ice cubes (optional)
    Directions

Place all ingredients a blender and puree well. Add more water if needed for smoother consistency. Too easy, too good!
  • kellico28
    kellico28 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the advice! You guys rock!
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Various fruits and water are all it takes. No need to go putting in weird powders.

4 pitted dates, and 2 ripe bananas, with a dash of cinnamon, and a little water.

1 package strawberries, 1 package blueberries, 2 ripe bananas, and a little water.

mango, peach, papaya

mango, peach.

Strawberry, banana

Possibilities are endless