Carbs N Protein ratios??

Options
Trying to kick start my weight loss. MFP gives me 165 carbs per day. Wanting to cut back. I am 5 ft 5 in and 169 pounds. Exercise bout 3 times per week. What should my ratio be?

Replies

• Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Trying to kick start my weight loss. MFP gives me 165 carbs per day. Wanting to cut back. I am 5 ft 5 in and 169 pounds. Exercise bout 3 times per week. What should my ratio be?
    Rule of thumb for women who are relatively active. Weight in pounds x 0.6 will give your protein requirements in gms

So 169 x 0.6 = 101.4

Ok so cut back on your carbs to 150 gms and up your protein to 101, and say 30gms of fat will give you a pretty good ratio of

53% carbs
    36% protein
    11% fat

How does that sound?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    53% carbs
    36% protein
    11% fat

How does that sound?
    Sounds like a high carb diet, probably about the same as she has now ?

100g protein (400 cals, 33%)
    100g carbs (400 cals, 33%)
    44g fat (400 cals, 33%)

would look more like a lower carb approach, shirley ?
  • Wonderob
    Options
    53% carbs
    36% protein
    11% fat

How does that sound?

44g fat (400 cals, 33%)

Oh yeah for sure - a low carb diet would look more like that

But she specifically said 'wanting to cut back' rather than 'try a whole new approach to dieting'

I have cut back my carbs recently, but wouldn't say I had adopted a low carb diet. I have focussed on increasing my protein whilst keeping my fat the same - so lower carbs are really a result of those changes
  • Wonderob
    Options
    53% carbs
    36% protein
    11% fat

How does that sound?

44g fat (400 cals, 33%)

Oh yeah for sure - a low carb diet would look more like that

But she specifically said 'wanting to cut back' rather than 'try a whole new approach to dieting'

I have cut back my carbs recently, but wouldn't say I had adopted a low carb diet. I have focussed on icreasing my protein whilst keeping my fat the same - so lower carbs are really a result of those changes
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    with your ratios she would have 150 instead of 165 - hardly a significant cut back.
  • Wonderob
    Options
    with your ratios she would have 150 instead of 165 - hardly a significant cut back.

But a cut back all the same. She was asking for an idea of the sort of ratio she should be looking at - 33% equal fat, carb, protein is quite extreme!