Ladies...Hair Color Question

Options
kylesmommy89
kylesmommy89 Posts: 356 Member
My hair is naturally very dark brown. I had highlights put in it a couple months ago and they had grown out pretty badly so I decided to dye it dark brown all over with drugstore hair color. Well, now it is jet black. Have any of you had an experience with dark brown dye turning your hair black?? Did yours fade and soften up or did it just stay black? Any tips to speed up the process?? I've washed my hair like 4 times and the color is not budging...it looks terrible!! I should have just went to the salon, but we are strapped for cash right now and I was just trying to save some money. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Lilip0p
    Lilip0p Posts: 36
    Options
    Dawn dish soap can help a LOT. Otherwise because it wasn't an actual black color, it should fake pretty quick.

DO NOT go to the salon and get it stripped... I say this as I am looking at bits of my broken off hair around my sink vanity.. ahem.
  • juicyfruitkk
    juicyfruitkk Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Ohh sorry to hear.
    If you had highlights you decolored the natural pigment which sucked up all that drugstore color pigment. Once in awhile dawn helps strip it out but it's not going to budge much (if at all), and yes it does cost a lot to have it professional stripped but its a long process and harsh on the hair too. Sorry :indifferent:
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    It will lighten up in about a week. I second using Dawn to lighten it up too. I typically buy the "dark brown" shade for mine once a month (tons of gray, aren't I lucky :() and it's dark for the first few days. Just hang in there, DON'T go get it stripped.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    Boxed hair dyes are horrible for your hair. I never use them. EVER. I get my hair dye from a beauty store.
  • Presley0381
    Options
    My sister wanted to try black and hated it. She too was short on cash and went to Sally's instead. She used a Color Lifter and it worked. She didn't lose any hair and she dyed it a brownish color the same night and it came out really nicely. Good luck : )
  • Leslie85
    Leslie85 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Yep, this has happened to me before. Give it 2 or 3 days. Mine was black at first too...and so I washed it 3 or 4 times right after I dyed it, and it was still black. After about 2 or 3 days though it started to fade.
  • FitBunnyEm
    FitBunnyEm Posts: 320
    Options
    is it permanent or semi-permanent colour??
    if its semi, it will come out, keep washing it...
    if its permanent then no, so you will need to go to a salon..i dyed mine jet black once it was such a sod to get out, i had to have lowlights put in at the salon, i had light to dark brown low lights put in all over, this made it overall look alot more subtle and lighter. i would not reccomend stripping the colour at salon...low lights are sooo much better. good luck.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    Hair colour always fades, if you can put up with it a week or two it should start looking more like the colour you want.
  • kylesmommy89
    Options
    Thanks so much for your responses. This has been a nightmare!! The parts that were bleached are actually the lightest part of my hair right now. I have some dawn, but it's not the original kind. It's Dawn with bleach alternative...would that be okay to put in hair?? Lol I'm probably better off going to the store and buying some original dawn.
  • samairon
    samairon Posts: 46
    Options
    They sell color correcter at Walmart, it strips the hair of hair color so you can go back to your natural color. It's also sold at Sally's or any other beauty supply store.
  • kylesmommy89
    Options
    It's permanent. Glad to hear that some of you have had the dye fade! Gives me some hope!!! It sucks because there was a dark brown, black/brown, soft black, jet black, and blue black. Thought I would be safe with the dark brown!!
  • samairon
    samairon Posts: 46
    Options
    Don't use the bleach.
  • bexy_27
    bexy_27 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Box dye is awful. :frown: The last time I made that mistake, it was very dark, and then after a week or so it had faded 3 or 4 shades. Hang in there! :flowerforyou:

If you have a beauty supply store near you, you can buy the color and developer separate and mix them yourself. I have come out cheaper that way and it doesn't seem to be as harsh on the hair as that ammonia-smelling stuff. You will need to purchase (the first time) a reusable squeeze bottle with measuring lines if you don't have one and a few pairs of gloves.

You might try henna as well. It's a plant-based powder that you add water to and make mud that you put on your hair. It tints your hair (you will see the henna color when the light hits your hair), but it will not lighten your hair. Henna is a great conditioner, too. It adds such great shine! It smells like hay though, so be warned. Some people don't like the smell.
  • kylesmommy89
    Options
    Oh there's no way in hell I'm bleaching it lol. I think I'm going to wait a week and see how it looks. If it's still terrible, I'll have to bite the bullet and go to the salon.
  • Sam3622
    Sam3622 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Don't worry!! Mine did that all the time, a few washes and it will look brown! :)
  • veggievixen79
    veggievixen79 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I dye my hair brown over highlights too (permanent colour), and it's always super dark at first and fades to a normal colour after a couple of weeks. I would say hang in there, maybe just wash it daily if you want it to hurry up and fade!
  • kylesmommy89
    Options
    Do y'all think washing it like 10 times today will make it fade like it's been a week? Or is that just a waste of shampoo?
  • kylesmommy89
    Options
    Box dye is awful. :frown: The last time I made that mistake, it was very dark, and then after a week or so it had faded 3 or 4 shades. Hang in there! :flowerforyou:

If you have a beauty supply store near you, you can buy the color and developer separate and mix them yourself. I have come out cheaper that way and it doesn't seem to be as harsh on the hair as that ammonia-smelling stuff. You will need to purchase (the first time) a reusable squeeze bottle with measuring lines if you don't have one and a few pairs of gloves.

You might try henna as well. It's a plant-based powder that you add water to and make mud that you put on your hair. It tints your hair (you will see the henna color when the light hits your hair), but it will not lighten your hair. Henna is a great conditioner, too. It adds such great shine! It smells like hay though, so be warned. Some people don't like the smell.

I actually don't have a beauty supply store around. Really wish I did. I have never heard of using henna on hair. Sounds interesting! I'll have to look into that!

Again thanks so much for all the great responses!!!
  • juicyfruitkk
    juicyfruitkk Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Please do no use henna dye unless that's all you ever plan to use. It coats the hair over and over so if you ever wish to strip it (for say highlights) your stylist is going to have a hard time cutting through that even with the best bleach! We had a girl in cosmetology school who used it, it was just a mess
  • BaDaSsBrUnEtTe
    BaDaSsBrUnEtTe Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    It will fade in about a week. I dye my hair dark brown and the first week it looks almost black but it does fade and will look much better. Head and shoulders actually helps it fade a bit quicker I forget why. I wouldn't do anything to extreme as you might end up damaging your hair. But from experience yes it will fade, I was so shocked how darkk my hari was ans hated it but after a week the color was perfect.