Weight Loss and the menstral cycle- question.

Options
2»

Replies

• LoveleeB
    LoveleeB Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Here we go for the 1,234,754,568,128,164,127,994,307 time.
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I notice 3-5 lb gain up to 2 weeks before and then a big drop after. Water weight I'm guessing. I weigh everyday and I just attribute it to that or eating something salty etc. and it doesn't bother me so I keep weighing everyday. I have been diagnosed with PCOS and endrimetrosis and super irregular. No period for a year then one lasting months, then another 2 weeks later. I'm still waiting for menopause(I'm 55). It was a miracle that I had a child at all. I was on fertility drugs for 5 years to conceive, which I think could have been part of the cause for weight gain in the 1st place. Since the basic trend is losing you are on track. It will take time
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Found this information when googling....

Menstrual cycle and BMR

BMR varied significantly with the menstrual
    cycle in five of the six subjects tested.
    The change in BMR with menstrual cycle
    was the same in all five subjects; there was a
    decrease in BMR during menstruation falling
    to a low point approximately 1 wk before
    ovulation which was followed, by a rise before
    the next menstrual period (see Fig 1 A and
    B). Subject 5506 did not show evidence of a
    cycle in BMR.
    There are no statistically significant effect
    of diet (ie, protein intake) on BMR. Therefore,
    all metabolic periods were used to explore
    effects of menstrual cycle.

http://www.ajcn.org/content/36/4/611.full.pdf+html

Interesting, so if the BMR calls, your TDEE falls naturally too.
    So what may be a deficit for part of the month is not at all during part of the month, or surplus depending on how fine a line your deficit to TDEE is.

So I wish they had given avg stats for all of them, but appears to be range of .85 c/kg to .95 c/kg. If one assumed the .9 would have been the estimated BMR (and I didn't notice comments regarding how close to estimated they were), you can come up with some avg.

So then you could take your goal based on BMR or TDEE (which is still based on BMR) x 1.06% for high BMR days, and x 94% for the low BMR days.
    Then decide where that must fall, decide if you wanted to actually change it weekly or every 10 days, and what.

This would allow you to try to keep the deficit the same.
  • _Kitten_Kate
    _Kitten_Kate Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Found this information when googling....

Menstrual cycle and BMR

BMR varied significantly with the menstrual
    cycle in five of the six subjects tested.
    The change in BMR with menstrual cycle
    was the same in all five subjects; there was a
    decrease in BMR during menstruation falling
    to a low point approximately 1 wk before
    ovulation which was followed, by a rise before
    the next menstrual period (see Fig 1 A and
    B). Subject 5506 did not show evidence of a
    cycle in BMR.
    There are no statistically significant effect
    of diet (ie, protein intake) on BMR. Therefore,
    all metabolic periods were used to explore
    effects of menstrual cycle.

http://www.ajcn.org/content/36/4/611.full.pdf+html

Interesting, so if the BMR calls, your TDEE falls naturally too.
    So what may be a deficit for part of the month is not at all during part of the month, or surplus depending on how fine a line your deficit to TDEE is.

So I wish they had given avg stats for all of them, but appears to be range of .85 c/kg to .95 c/kg. If one assumed the .9 would have been the estimated BMR (and I didn't notice comments regarding how close to estimated they were), you can come up with some avg.

So then you could take your goal based on BMR or TDEE (which is still based on BMR) x 1.06% for high BMR days, and x 94% for the low BMR days.
    Then decide where that must fall, decide if you wanted to actually change it weekly or every 10 days, and what.

This would allow you to try to keep the deficit the same.

Thanks heybales.
  • wingednotes
    wingednotes Posts: 279
    Options
    My guess (just a guess, i'm new at this too) is that maybe your body is bloating throughout the month? Perhaps you are burning fat but don't see it on the scale because of the water gain.
  • Daydreams406
    Daydreams406 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I have been the same way.
    I didn't lose pounds for the first two months. Then it just dropped.
    I was taking measurements, so I did notice a loss in inches which helped a little.
    I am losing at a very slow pace.
    But I have hypothyroid, and have for 18 years.
    Just changed up my meds, and it has seemed to help just a little.
    Still slow losing though.
    I just discovered that I have an extremely low vitamin D level and have to take supplements for that, so I am hoping that will help some as well.
    I lose pounds after my TOM. I have lost a pound here and there within the month. It isn't consistent though.
    I can gain up to 5 pounds before TOM which is so scary to see on the scale lol. But it always goes back to normal afterwards.