Barbell Squats, I shall miss thee =/

Options
13»

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Try adding resistance to your cardio instead - fast walk on a treadmill at very high incline, or cycle at high resistance.

I use cycle or elliptical, not treadmill. Can't do treadmill for the same reasons I can't do squat. I can't control my body movements enough to be able to stay on it without falling off.

Time out.

Do you have a condition or illness that affects your motor control? If so, then that changes everything.

Yes I do. Neurological in nature.

Ah, then in that case, disregard my (and others') cookie-cutter general squat advice.

As someone else said earlier, I would try leg press. While leg press < squat generally, leg press > nothing. And maybe some leg extension and leg curls too?

Might ask, what muscle groups are hit by squats that aren't by leg press? So that I know what else to supplement it with as far as exercises go.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Try adding resistance to your cardio instead - fast walk on a treadmill at very high incline, or cycle at high resistance.

I use cycle or elliptical, not treadmill. Can't do treadmill for the same reasons I can't do squat. I can't control my body movements enough to be able to stay on it without falling off.

Time out.

Do you have a condition or illness that affects your motor control? If so, then that changes everything.

Yes I do. Neurological in nature.

Ah, then in that case, disregard my (and others') cookie-cutter general squat advice.

As someone else said earlier, I would try leg press. While leg press < squat generally, leg press > nothing. And maybe some leg extension and leg curls too?

Might ask, what muscle groups are hit by squats that aren't by leg press? So that I know what else to supplement it with as far as exercises go.

Squats mostly target the quads, but secondary muscles are the posterior chain and the abs. I also find that my arms get a decent workout if I squat heavy because they have to flex to balance the bar properly.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    As a kid I was addicted to the water. You couldn't keep me out of it. On land I had trouble simply walking without losing my footing, but in the water I was better than most. Learned to swim at an age when most kids are still mastering their land motor skills.

I haven't been back in the water since I suffered a severe sunburn at the age of 13 that left my back and shoulders covered in scarring. I guess it's the Irish in me. I fry lol. But yeah, I was told by my Dr I would never be able to go back out in the sun without a shirt again due to the damage done to my back/shoulders, and I just never went back into the water at all. I would love to go back. I was big on snorkeling, and swimming laps in a pool, water games, everything!
    Ah, I'm from the UK and nearly all of our pools are indoors. I guess they're not that common over there? Just as well, I have red-head tendencies too! :smile:
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    As a kid I was addicted to the water. You couldn't keep me out of it. On land I had trouble simply walking without losing my footing, but in the water I was better than most. Learned to swim at an age when most kids are still mastering their land motor skills.

I haven't been back in the water since I suffered a severe sunburn at the age of 13 that left my back and shoulders covered in scarring. I guess it's the Irish in me. I fry lol. But yeah, I was told by my Dr I would never be able to go back out in the sun without a shirt again due to the damage done to my back/shoulders, and I just never went back into the water at all. I would love to go back. I was big on snorkeling, and swimming laps in a pool, water games, everything!
    Ah, I'm from the UK and nearly all of our pools are indoors. I guess they're not that common over there? Just as well, I have red-head tendencies too! :smile:

There's only one indoor pool in my area that isn't part of a "membership-only" facility of some sort. It's only open during the winter and fall months when the normal outdoor community pools run by the city are closed.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options

So wear a clean shirt, and a PFD if you think your motor control issues might cause a problem there. Pick a quiet corner of the pool and start moving body bits in as many directions as you can as fast as you can. Or just swim. Resistance training is allowed to be fun, too. :)

Lots of people have issues with the sun and wear shirts into the pool. There are very thin synthetic shirts designed specifically for sun protection while not adding a lot of bulk like a cotton shirt, and they dry out fast. I swear by them while hiking, cycling, AND swimming.

Example: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/59994?feat=Mens Tropic Wear shirts-SR0
  • contingencyplan
    Options

So wear a clean shirt, and a PFD if you think your motor control issues might cause a problem there. Pick a quiet corner of the pool and start moving body bits in as many directions as you can as fast as you can. Or just swim. Resistance training is allowed to be fun, too. :)

Lots of people have issues with the sun and wear shirts into the pool. There are very thin synthetic shirts designed specifically for sun protection while not adding a lot of bulk like a cotton shirt, and they dry out fast. I swear by them while hiking, cycling, AND swimming.

Example: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/59994?feat=Mens Tropic Wear shirts-SR0

I have seen a few swim specific shirts that are form fitting that are worth looking into. Those types of shirts though that tend to bunch up when wet, that's some tactile sensory hell right there.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I don't believe the leg press includes the glutes/hams as hard as the deep barbell squat does.
  • AbbeyRysMom
    AbbeyRysMom Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    SOmething like this may help: http://www.uvskinz.com/catalog.aspx?c=6&amp;9gtype=search&amp;9gkw=uv protection swim for men&amp;9gad=12642899965.1&amp;9gag=2101574605&amp;9gpla=&amp;gclid=CICI2L-Gv7ACFeEDQAod_0hTmQ (for the swimming without a shirt issue)

I don't have any advice on the squats, but would you be able to see an actual physical therapist rather than a personal trainer? Not that I think there's anything wrong with personal trainers, but a Physical Therapist should have training with your specific neurological condition.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I don't believe the leg press includes the glutes/hams as hard as the deep barbell squat does.

Yep. That's why I'd probably go for the Smith machines as the first alternative to a true squat.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options

I think that depends on your foot position. You can move your feet further away from the body on the foot platform and engage the glutes more.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    you can still get a decent leg workout with the leg press. it's not going to work your stabilizers like a squat does or give you the full body workout that a squat will, but it's better than nothing.

if you want to work your hamstrings more on the leg press move your legs up on the platform as high as you can comfortably put them. your range of motion will be shortened, but you will really feel it in the back of your legs.

do 3-4 sets with your regular foot placement and then finish off with 2-3 sets at a lighter weight with your feet higher up

cycling is also a great leg workout.

i think the box squat idea is a disaster waiting to happen. i'd avoid that.

good luck OP.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    i think the box squat idea is a disaster waiting to happen. i'd avoid that.

Totally agree.

Box squats aren't meant for you to fully sit on the bench either. You're only supposed to touch it then come back up. Sitting with the barbell on your traps puts a lot of pressure on the spine.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    Thanks guys, the leg press and swimming look to be the best solutions.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    Thanks guys, the leg press and swimming look to be the best solutions.

Good luck to you! Let us know how the leg press works.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    The problem has nothing to do with not knowing how. I have very poor motor control as a result of neurological dysfunctions and cannot safely do many things. Balancing with heavy loads is one of them.

Have you tried wall squats (or whatever you want to call them).....using an exercise ball behind your back up against a wall. Start standing with the ball near the base of your spine, squat down and the ball will roll so it's up near your shoulder blades. I will do those with just body weight or holding a small dumbbell and feel like it's a good workout.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    The problem has nothing to do with not knowing how. I have very poor motor control as a result of neurological dysfunctions and cannot safely do many things. Balancing with heavy loads is one of them.

Have you tried wall squats (or whatever you want to call them).....using an exercise ball behind your back up against a wall. Start standing with the ball near the base of your spine, squat down and the ball will roll so it's up near your shoulder blades. I will do those with just body weight or holding a small dumbbell and feel like it's a good workout.

Done those. Like them.