Quitting Diet Coke

Options
And it sucks.

Day 4 no diet coke....after months of 50 or so oz a day. Going cold turkey this time because I've tried just stepping down the amounts in the past and never worked.

What do they put in this stuff that is so addicting!? I've never had a cigarette and don't drink a lot so diet coke has been my drug of choice I guess.

My husband is ready for this withdrawal phase to be over as well. I've been a grumpy little witch this week.

Replies

• fat2fitagain
    fat2fitagain Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I cut way back on my diet coke habbit a few months ago. I started making green somoothies (Fruits and veggies blended together) It really tasted good and after a week or two I lost my taste for diet coke!!!! Before I loved the taste of it and then my taste buds changed and it tasted like a metal can. Good luck!
  • yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    It's a hard thing to do for sure! The caffeine could be playing a part in the cravings too. I had to drastically cut back my caffeine years ago when dealing with heart palpitation issues. I switched to caffeine free diet which what hard enough. I started to replace the diet soda with diet tea and coffee too, as well as increase my water intake.

You are doing your body good but cutting out Diet Coke. Read up on what the acid does to your system for extra motivation!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    For me it was the taste of "sweet" that fed my cravings something awful. Getting rid of it was one of the hardest things I ever did - but when I was done I found that it was so much easier to avoid other sweet stuff, and that was the key to me starting my weight loss journey in earnest.
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    At my fattest I was drinking so much diet coke. I wouldn't doubt that DC was more than half my problem. I still drink one on occasion but I never buy it at a grocery store only if I go out to eat and I only have one. When I quit, I would take a sip off my husbands energy drink and that helped me break the habit. Better to have a few sips of something not so great than a couple two liters of something that is killing me. Good job with having four day free of it!
  • NikkiSmo
    NikkiSmo Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm a diet coke addict as well. I had quit for 10 months (not even a sip) and everyone kept saying oh you won't like the taste of it after that long. Well.... I was in a situation where I was getting shakey from not eating and I needed something and there it was a cold can of DC. So I drank it and oh boy it tasted AWESOME so there it was 10 months diet coke free down the drain I was re-hooked!!! I try to drink 2 glasses of water for every 1 DC. I don't have them at the house but I will make a special trip to the store for one. I find I use it as a "treat" in the afternoons when I'm hungry it seems to help. I do however drink my weight in DC when ever we are out and the soda fountain is available for me to refil my self! I would like to cut down 1 or maybe none but I feel like I'm cutting back in so many areas of the food I loved that I kind of keep DC as my sinful treat. Not that any of what I have said is helpful to you who are trying to quit - I hope to be back there again soon. Best of Luck!
  • raerae514
    raerae514 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Diet coke contains aspartame. I recently learned exactly what that is. Do a little research you you will never want to drink diet sodas again.

For example:

"...aspartame may cause phenylketonuria...if you have PKU, you could unconsciously impair your mental function by consuming aspartame."

"aspartame can also cause headaches. These headaches are an allergic to aspartame. In addition, this artificial sweetener may trigger the onset of migraines if you are prone to having migraine headaches." (i actually have this migraine problem and it's 100% truth)

"Claims have been made that aspartame is related to health effects ranging from mild problems such as headache, dizziness, digestive symptoms, and changes in mood, to more serious health issues such as Alzheimer disease, birth defects, diabetes, Gulf War syndrome, attention deficit disorders, Parkinson disease, lupus, multiple sclerosis, and seizures. "

This is from 5 minutes of Googling "aspartame". Think about it.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Lots of bad info on the free web. Try snopes.com to debunk some urban legends.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/aspartame.asp

Aspartame is harmless. Which should be intuitive, since it's been in general use for so long and is FDA approved.
  • thirtytwopostcards
    Options
    Keep going! The caffeine withdrawal lasted about a week for me and was awful, but it's about to start feeling pretty good. You will have so much more energy!
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    As others have mentioned, it might be the caffeine. Try having some coffee or tea. There is no need to quit caffeine at the same time you quit diet coke.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I agree that there's a lot of bad info on the net, obviously, but I wouldn't necessarily agree that Diet Coke is harmless. Some people are sensitive to artificial sweeteners. It's just a matter of knowing yourself and your body's reaction to things.

To the OP... good for you with sticking to your decision. Weaning yourself off of any addiction is hard as heck. Keep it up.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I wasn't drinking as much as you were, but I did have one can a day (sometimes more). I went cold turkey too, probably 8 months ago. Now I will still drink it, especially in a restaurant because I love fountain soda, but I seldom finish a can and it's no more than a couple times a month.

Hang in there - you'll lose the taste for it soon.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I always liked it because it was really crisp and refreshing if it was super cold. I dont like regular sodas because they dont have the same crisp flavor. I sound like I'm on an advertisement.

A favorite junk meal of mine is ramen noodles and diet coke :D (not together)
  • Phrenetic
    Phrenetic Posts: 15
    Options
    Diet drinks are something I really enjoy, but at the same time, I know I should be drinking more water. As a matter of fact, I'm off to get my second cup of water of the morning right now.
  • emccand
    emccand Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    "aspartame can also cause headaches. These headaches are an allergic to aspartame. In addition, this artificial sweetener may trigger the onset of migraines if you are prone to having migraine headaches." (i actually have this migraine problem and it's 100% truth)

This! I was a huge diet coke drinker and was getting headaches every day really bad, I couldnt figure out why, caffeine is supposed to help with headaches right? Well i quit cold turkey and started feeling much better. I did get the with-drawl headaches and general grumpyness for about 2 weeks but its been 3 months now since I quit and I barely ever get a headache. My husband still drinks bottles of it a day and I tried some yesterday and it was so gross! Something that helped me when I needed something sweet was drinking water with mio, they have yummy flavors and it tastes like kool-aid! Good luck to you!
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    And it sucks.

Day 4 no diet coke....after months of 50 or so oz a day.

50 oz.? It's not even 10:30 and I've had that much deit pepsi already. I drink 3 times that easily a day. I've never quit. I've stopped for a short period of time many times and usually just drink a ton of water during the day and it's fine. No headaches or anything. Yes I drink too much of it, but it's my one real vice.

Tim
  • kaellinn18
    kaellinn18 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Diet coke contains aspartame. I recently learned exactly what that is. Do a little research you you will never want to drink diet sodas again.

For example:

"...aspartame may cause phenylketonuria...if you have PKU, you could unconsciously impair your mental function by consuming aspartame."

"Claims have been made that aspartame is related to health effects ranging from mild problems such as headache, dizziness, digestive symptoms, and changes in mood, to more serious health issues such as Alzheimer disease, birth defects, diabetes, Gulf War syndrome, attention deficit disorders, Parkinson disease, lupus, multiple sclerosis, and seizures. "

This is from 5 minutes of Googling "aspartame". Think about it.

Aspartame is one of the most tested and regulated food ingredients ever. This is all crap. If you REALLY want to learn about aspartame, stick to scientifically reliable sites.

Back on topic. As others have said, you have a caffeine addiction. It takes time to get over it, and it's not pleasant. Keep up the good fight!
  • Bippie252
    Bippie252 Posts: 14
    Options
    I like diet and caffeine free coke or pepsi and it's still addictive to me. But when I do stop drinking it, (1 or 2 bottles of 20 ounce) a day, my stomach starts to shrink. There's something in that stuff. Liquid crack!
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    I have loved Diet Coke since i was 14 yo. Regular Soda is just too sweet for me so i feel your pain. In the last few months since moving back stateside i have cut way back. The reason being it's just too expensive. I drink a 16 oz cup of coffee for my caffeine and only have diet coke when we are out to eat or it's going to be a late night. Try putting Mio or lemon in some water it helps me a lot. Hope you get past the witchy phase soon. I tried to cut it out completely once and my daughter is still traumatized when she thinks about it. She was 6 is now 16 all you have to say is Atkins and she goes into a huge speech about how it's the worst thing i have ever done!:wink:
  • NiSan12
    NiSan12 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are going through. I ABSOLUTELY LOVED Diet Coke, but found out that it made me hungry when I drank it so I could only drink it when I was already eating something. I also heard that diet soda gives you a pouch. I may drink once every couple of weeks but I still love soda but you are better for getting off of it really. Hope that helps.
  • terra32903
    terra32903 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I can drink diet coke or caffeine diet coke. The addiction for me is NOT the caffeine it's the artificial sweetener. You are much stronger than me giving it up. I guess there are worst things to be addicted to :-)