Weak in the knees

Options
Hi all! I have a problem: I went on a long walk yesterday and sort of blew out my knee. My knees are generally weak, and I am trying to strengthen them, but I've been working out pretty hard the last 10+ days or so (walking a lot, kickboxing, etc). I am in the midst of a 30-day exercise challenge (I'm just trying to work out 30 days straight)--any ideas for cardio exercises I could do today that would be easy on my knees? (It's times like these I wish I had an elliptical machine!) Thanks!

Replies

• jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you mean by sort of blew out your knee. but if your not in pain you can try bodyweight squats/ lunges. working up to weighed.
  • ropachopel
    ropachopel Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your knee problems! I know how you feel. I tore my meniscus in my right knee last year and had to recover slowly. Do you have access to a pool for swimming and/or water aerobics? I workout in the pool at least 3 times a week and that helped strengthen my knees up. And I asked the orthopedic surgeon about using an elliptical and he advised against it. He said biking was a better option becuase you're sitting and not putting a lot of weight on your knees. So I used a stationary bike as well to rehab. Good luck!
  • kaji13
    kaji13 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I hula hoop on days my knee is bothering me (if I can't get to the gym for an elliptical), or biking should be pretty gentle.