FATS question

Options
I consistently go over my allowed fats. However, almost all my fats is from either almond butter, avocado, or nuts, which I'm under the impression is healthy fats. Do I need to try to trim the number of fats consumed in order to be healthy?

I know that losing weight is about the calories and I'm generally under most days. I'm just wondering if I should trim back on the fats even more?

Thanks
:flowerforyou:

Replies

• alaskagal
    Options
    I consistently go over my allowed fats. However, almost all my fats is from either almond butter, avocado, or nuts, which I'm under the impression is healthy fats. Do I need to try to trim the number of fats consumed in order to be healthy?

I know that losing weight is about the calories and I'm generally under most days. I'm just wondering if I should trim back on the fats even more?

Thanks
    :flowerforyou:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Since, like you, I get non-sat fats primarily, I've started just watching my sat. fat on my tracker. I try to keep it under 20 a day, which is usually no problem. I keep about 25% fat in my diet, which I don't go over, even with that.

Rats, now I'm craving avocado.:wink:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    20-30% of your calories from fat are healthy. Fat has 9 cals/gram. So for instance if you eat 1500 cals a day, 20-30% of that is 300-450 calories, or 33-50 g of fat a day. Fat is necessary for immune function, vitamin absorption, blood sugar regulation, and brain function, so you don't want to limit it too much. :)
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    20-30% of your calories from fat are healthy. Fat has 9 cals/gram. So for instance if you eat 1500 cals a day, 20-30% of that is 300-450 calories, or 33-50 g of fat a day. Fat is necessary for immune function, vitamin absorption, blood sugar regulation, and brain function, so you don't want to limit it too much. :)

and, also, it's tasty!:flowerforyou:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

and, also, it's tasty!:flowerforyou:

Haha it is indeed!!! Especially in the form of natural chunky peanut butter :bigsmile:
  • alaskagal
    Options
    You guys are awesome! This was exactly the type of information I needed. I'm not afraid of the healthy fats, per se. I just wasn't sure how much I should be indulging :tongue:

Oops, so how do I figure out how much sat. fat to try not to exceed?

Thanks!!
    :drinker:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    You guys are awesome! This was exactly the type of information I needed. I'm not afraid of the healthy fats, per se. I just wasn't sure how much I should be indulging :tongue:

Oops, so how do I figure out how much sat. fat to try not to exceed?

Thanks!!
    :drinker:

1/3 of your total fats should come from sat fats. They are important for hormone production so they shouldn't be removed totally.