Protein Shakes??

Options

Replies

• tlink67
    tlink67 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am at 186 right now... the powder I am using has 20 grams per scoop....never tried the slim fast though - don't they have more calories? and carbs? I don't know much about them????

Say away from the slim fast shakes--not enough nutrients and full of sugar!!!
  • CatherineKelly22
    Options
    Typical slimfast shake is 230 cals, 15g protein, 23 carbs (of which sugars 23) 7 fat, 3.5 fibre and sodium 0.23.

I spose u cud eat sumthn better fr u with same amount ov calories. I find it easier fr breakfast as i dont like to eat til abt lunchtime. Ur meant to have one fr brekky, one fr lunch and a normal dinner, but im cuttin out the lunch one and havn sumthn ov equal cals, but less fat.
  • Shellyeubanks
    Options
    Typical slimfast shake is 230 cals, 15g protein, 23 carbs (of which sugars 23) 7 fat, 3.5 fibre and sodium 0.23.

I spose u cud eat sumthn better fr u with same amount ov calories. I find it easier fr breakfast as i dont like to eat til abt lunchtime. Ur meant to have one fr brekky, one fr lunch and a normal dinner, but im cuttin out the lunch one and havn sumthn ov equal cals, but less fat.
    I personally wouldn't touch them.

I found this post about them that has some interesting info
    http://fitblogger.ca/slim-fast-ingredients/
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Now your body only utilizes about 16-17% of protein powder, the rest goes to waste,

Complete and utter bull****.

Whey is among the most bioavailable forms of protein you can ingest, which means that your body is utilizing it MORE than most whole foods.

screenshot20120608at954.png

http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/pmidlookup?view=long&pmid=10867064
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    But aren't you counting calories?
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of misinformation in this thread.

Protein powder should be used as a supplement to your daily routine, and not a replacement.

That said, I see that you are making a smoothie of sorts. A lot of people who eat a yogurt will add fruit and protein, make into a smoothie for either a snack, or part of their lunch or breakfast. But it shouldn't be the only thing. HOWEVER, I will concede that one of those does make me full and hard to eat anything else for a little bit of time.

If you are logging your food and calorie intake, logging the protein shake/smoothie properly (the powder, the yogurt, the fruit, etc) will help to tell you if you have a deficit, or are going over in any category, like calories.

Protein is good. There are many forms. Take the right kind for your daily needs and workout/fitness lifestyle.
  • lbecker5
    lbecker5 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    WoW a lot of info here....I am counting calories and have not gotten out of control even with the protein...I love the protein chart and had heard that whey was the 'way' to go...no pun intended :smile:
  • Shellyeubanks
    Options
    Now your body only utilizes about 16-17% of protein powder, the rest goes to waste,

Whey is among the most bioavailable forms of protein you can ingest, which means that your body is utilizing it MORE than most whole foods.

It has been said that whey protein is 100% bioavailable and is therefore 100% absorbed into the body. Bioavailability is how much of what you are ingesting is absorbed by the body yet it says nothing to how much is actually “utilized” by the body. The statements are correct about the 100% bioavailability yet the problem with this statement, and to your detriment, is that it is absorbed, processed through the kidneys and then expelled as bodily waste.
  • tomhancock
    tomhancock Posts: 100 Member
    Options

I disagree!!!

Do either of you have anything to back it up? I'm curious if there is a real scientific answer to this question
  • RonSwanson66
    Options

It has been said that whey protein is 100% bioavailable and is therefore 100% absorbed into the body. Bioavailability is how much of what you are ingesting is absorbed by the body yet it says nothing to how much is actually “utilized” by the body. The statements are correct about the 100% bioavailability yet the problem with this statement, and to your detriment, is that it is absorbed, processed through the kidneys and then expelled as bodily waste.

Stop making things up.

Biological value (BV) is a measure of the proportion of absorbed protein from a food which becomes incorporated into the proteins of the organism's body. It summarises how readily the broken down protein can be used in protein synthesis in the cells of the organism.

Protein efficiency ratio (PER) is based on the weight gain of a test subject divided by its intake of a particular food protein during the test period.

The net protein utilization, or NPU, is the ratio of amino acid converted to proteins to the ratio of amino acids supplied. This figure is somewhat affected by the salvage of essential amino acids within the body, but is profoundly affected by the level of limiting amino acids within a foodstuff.
    Experimentally, this value can be determined by determining dietary protein intake and then measuring nitrogen excretion. One formula for NPU is:
    NPU = ((0.16 × (24 hour protein intake in grams)) - ((24 hour urinary urea nitrogen) + 2) - (0.1 × (ideal body weight in kilograms))) / (0.16 × (24 hour protein intake in grams))
    As a value, NPU can range from 1 to 0, with a value of 1 indicating 100% utilization of dietary nitrogen as protein and a value of 0 an indication that none of the nitrogen supplied was converted to protein.

Using the PDCAAS method, the protein quality rankings are determined by comparing the amino acid profile of the specific food protein against a standard amino acid profile with the highest possible score being a 1.0. This score means, after digestion of the protein, it provides per unit of protein 100 percent or more of the indispensable amino acids required.

Whey protein scores at or near the top of every single criterion for determining protein quality. These measure more than just absorption, but utilization as well.

Although each method, taken individually, may have its limitations - taken as a whole the evidence for the superior quality of whey is unequivocal.

Do either of you have anything to back it up? I'm curious if there is a real scientific answer to this question

You can start with the link in my first post. Also see Lyle McDonald's series on protein (first part here http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/what-are-good-sources-of-protein-protein-quality.html)

Her numbers, so far as I can tell, were pulled directly out of her *kitten*.
  • Shellyeubanks
    Options

prenatal-facepalm.jpg

Stop making things up.

Biological value (BV) is a measure of the proportion of absorbed protein from a food which becomes incorporated into the proteins of the organism's body. It summarises how readily the broken down protein can be used in protein synthesis in the cells of the organism.

Protein efficiency ratio (PER) is based on the weight gain of a test subject divided by its intake of a particular food protein during the test period.

The net protein utilization, or NPU, is the ratio of amino acid converted to proteins to the ratio of amino acids supplied. This figure is somewhat affected by the salvage of essential amino acids within the body, but is profoundly affected by the level of limiting amino acids within a foodstuff.
    Experimentally, this value can be determined by determining dietary protein intake and then measuring nitrogen excretion. One formula for NPU is:
    NPU = ((0.16 × (24 hour protein intake in grams)) - ((24 hour urinary urea nitrogen) + 2) - (0.1 × (ideal body weight in kilograms))) / (0.16 × (24 hour protein intake in grams))
    As a value, NPU can range from 1 to 0, with a value of 1 indicating 100% utilization of dietary nitrogen as protein and a value of 0 an indication that none of the nitrogen supplied was converted to protein.

Using the PDCAAS method, the protein quality rankings are determined by comparing the amino acid profile of the specific food protein against a standard amino acid profile with the highest possible score being a 1.0. This score means, after digestion of the protein, it provides per unit of protein 100 percent or more of the indispensable amino acids required.

Whey protein scores at or near the top of every single criterion for determining protein quality. These measure more than just absorption, but utilization as well.

Although each method, taken individually, may have its limitations - taken as a whole the evidence for the superior quality of whey is unequivocal.

You can start with the link in my first post. Also see Lyle McDonald's series on protein (first part here http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/what-are-good-sources-of-protein-protein-quality.html)

Haha you can buy his protein book for $49.95 to learn all about proten!
  • Shellyeubanks
    Options

prenatal-facepalm.jpg

It's pretty sad you have to come back with smart *kitten* remarks and images. I've looked at other post made by you and you are quick to do that to a lot of people here.
  • byock
    byock Posts: 23
    Options
    In other words... Protein shakes are fine. Count them as the calories do add up. Eating enough protein will help minimize muscle loss as you lose weight.
  • mymission92
    Options
    I'm on week 2 of a 'protein shake diet' I have been having 2 shakes a day and 1 meal of lean protein and veg a day.
    I personally had more energy and have lost weight. Don't think you would ever put weight on with protein shakes unless you are more calories. A protein shake is no better or worse than having another protein source.
  • RonSwanson66
    Options

I suggest you do so. It's a phenomenal reference.

It's pretty sad you have to come back with smart *kitten* remarks and images. I've looked at other post made by you and you are quick to do that to a lot of people here.

What can I say, I have low tolerance for bull****.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I've had at least one a day for the past 7 months and have lost 100 lbs. You probably shouldn't listen to those friends.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Our bodies need a lot more than just Protein. Could you imagine eating a slab of meat for every meal and that's it? We need balanced nutrients to continue to thrive. High protein diets put the body in starvation mode and eat muscle tissue to survive. Since the heart is a muscle, do you really wanna do that? You might lose weight cause your starving, but you will put it back on so fast...
    There's better shakes that offer a lot more of a balanced diet than just Protein.. Wanna know?

OH MY FREAKING GOD. Seriously? Now high protein puts into starvation mode too???? Okay what on this site does not put you into starvation mode?

Stop being stupid.
  • xButterflyEffectx
    xButterflyEffectx Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are are great way to get protein..lhowever avoid those with sugar and especially fructose. Goode fructose...it's not good at all. Bypasses the satiety centre of our brain.
  • Shellyeubanks
    Options

I suggest you do so. It's a phenomenal reference.

Not if the end results are looking like he does. No thank you! :)

I respect Lyle because of his credentials, but to be honest the fact that I've never seen anything that suggest he actually applies his knowledge to his own body makes me take everything he says with a grain of salt.
  • RonSwanson66
    Options
    Protein shakes are are great way to get protein..lhowever avoid those with sugar and especially fructose. Goode fructose...it's not good at all. Bypasses the satiety centre of our brain.

I wish people would stop making things up.

The Journal of Nutrition. First published ahead of print April 29, 2009 as doi: 10.3945/jn.108.097956.
    The Journal of Nutrition
    Supplement: The State of the Science on Dietary Sweeteners Containing Fructose
    Fructose and Satiety1,2
    Timothy H. Moran*
    Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205
    Abstract
    A role for the increased intake of dietary fructose in general and high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) in particular in the current obesity epidemic has been proposed. Consumed fructose and glucose have different rates of gastric emptying, are differentially absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract, result in different endocrine profiles, and have different metabolic fates, providing multiple opportunities for the 2 saccharides to differentially affect food intake. The consequences of fructose and glucose on eating have been studied under a variety of experimental situations in both model systems and man. The results have been inconsistent, and the particular findings appear to depend on the timing of saccharide administration or ingestion relative to a test meal situation, whether the saccharides are administered as pure sugars or as components of a dietary preload, and the overall volume of the preload. These factors rather than intrinsic differences in the saccharides’ ability to induce satiety appear to carry many of the differential effects on food intake that have been found. On balance, the case for fructose being less satiating than glucose or HFCS being less satiating than sucrose is not compelling. J. Nutr. 139: 1S–4S, 2009.