shoe advice

Options
I have a pair of good shoes that I have been wearing to exercise in for a while and since I've upped the distance I walk, my shoes are rubbing my toes and heels. I haven't exercised often enough to wear them out, they show little tread wear. How often do you need to change your shoes and are you supposed to wash them? And, if you do wash them, do you throw them in the washer? So far, Lysol has been my friend, I've been too afraid to warp them, or something.

Replies

• 987Runner
    987Runner Posts: 209
    Options
    If you're upping your miles, it's likely your feet are swelling. Runners typically buy shoes bigger than their normal foot size to accomodate the swelling. Shoes last I think, 300-400 miles, I'm having a brain fart. It's easy enough to Google though! :-) I'm speaking as a runner so I have no idea how long shoes for like cardio exercise would last.

I have never washed my shoes. I've rinsed them off but I can't imagine ever throwing a pair of shoes in the washer, it'd ruin them.
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of good shoes that I have been wearing to exercise in for a while and since I've upped the distance I walk, my shoes are rubbing my toes and heels. I haven't exercised often enough to wear them out, they show little tread wear. How often do you need to change your shoes and are you supposed to wash them? And, if you do wash them, do you throw them in the washer? So far, Lysol has been my friend, I've been too afraid to warp them, or something.

If they are running shoes and you run then they only last around 300-400 miles at a time then you have to replace them or not run in them. If they are rubbing then I suggest a new insole to comfort your feet. I run so I change my shoes every few months. Honestly I use pinesol to clean some of my shoes, but I am not an expert on shoe cleaning lol good luck on that one :)
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    You know the old expression.... "if you have to ask, then....."

The support in shoes will break down and "wear out" long before the shoe's tread wears out. Do yourself a huge favor and get some new shoes. Take it from someone with permanent foot issues, pamper your feet because you will never realize how good you've had it until you no longer have it so good!!
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    My mom always put them in the washer. They weren't super expensive shoes but they didn't get ruined or anything.

Our clothes dryer actually has a little shelf you can put in it specifically made for shoes... yeah