Cutting to bulking

Options
Jaxper
Jaxper Posts: 23 Member
I have been an off and on lifter for years now. Finally got serious about my fitness and lost 25 lbs (210 -> 185, current) since the end of last summer which included a lot of running. Decided to start with a cutting phase for lifting about 3-4 months ago and I'm thinking about starting the bulking phase soon.

Should I continue cutting or is it almost time to start bulking?

I know that the mass gain comes from eating a caloric surplus while focusing on strength training. Currently I'm at approximately 2400 calorie maintenance. What are good foods to include in my diet to go about doing this? What are good choices for snacks to eat other than fruit to up my caloric intake? What is a healthy calorie bump for a day/week?

Thanks for the help.

Replies

• waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    For bulking?

Whole milk and peanut butter are your friends. Lots of calories and a fair amount of protein.

As to is it a good time....what is your BF%? If you don't have visible abs, keep cutting, the ideal muscle gain band, where the highest % of weight gain is muscle, is when you are in the 10-15% BF band.
  • Jaxper
    Options
    For bulking?

Whole milk and peanut butter are your friends. Lots of calories and a fair amount of protein.

As to is it a good time....what is your BF%? If you don't have visible abs, keep cutting, the ideal muscle gain band, where the highest % of weight gain is muscle, is when you are in the 10-15% BF band.

Thanks for the reply.

What do you mean by visible abs? A six-pack or just simple definition around the abs? While flexing or at rest? I have definition for my upper abs while flexing, but my lower abs are still hidden beneath a layer of fat.

Also, based on my estimate using an online calculator, my BF% is 13%. I don't have an exact measurement of my waist line so I guessed at 30 inches (I wear size 34 pants at my hips with some "wiggle room" for comfort as opposed to perfect fit).
  • Jaxper
    Options
    Bump.
  • andreabrightside
    Options
    Honestly a visual would give you a good idea of what your BF% is and is probably more accurate than using random things like pant sizes that don't quite fit. (Here's the most often referenced site: http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages )

You can start to bulk whenever you want, but if you've got a higher BF% then you won't see the definition as much (and it won't feel like you're making as much progress).

Edit: I just used a calculator and this is what it said:
    Using your measurements of a 26.75 inches waist and weight of 113 pounds your body fat percentage is estimated to be % using the U.S. Army body fat algorithm, or % using the U.S. Marine body fat algorithm, or 22.67 % using the U.S. Navy body fat algorithm, or 35.88 % using the formula developed by the YMCA.

There is no way I'm 35.88% bodyfat. Absolutely no way. My BMI is in the 17-19 range (I can't remember the exact number offhand). I'm probably closer to the 23% (actually that's what I guessed when i saw those pictures). My point is, you can't trust a calculator, or even a visual image, although if you can see definition you know you're close to your goal.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I don't have an exact measurement of my waist line so I guessed at 30 inches (I wear size 34 pants at my hips with some "wiggle room" for comfort as opposed to perfect fit).

Could be more - I wear 31/32 pants that are loose, but my waist measures 34/35 by tape measure. Vanity sizes suck.
  • Jaxper
    Options
    Honestly a visual would give you a good idea of what your BF% is and is probably more accurate than using random things like pant sizes that don't quite fit. (Here's the most often referenced site: http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages )

You can start to bulk whenever you want, but if you've got a higher BF% then you won't see the definition as much (and it won't feel like you're making as much progress).

Edit: I just used a calculator and this is what it said:
    Using your measurements of a 26.75 inches waist and weight of 113 pounds your body fat percentage is estimated to be % using the U.S. Army body fat algorithm, or % using the U.S. Marine body fat algorithm, or 22.67 % using the U.S. Navy body fat algorithm, or 35.88 % using the formula developed by the YMCA.

There is no way I'm 35.88% bodyfat. Absolutely no way. My BMI is in the 17-19 range (I can't remember the exact number offhand). I'm probably closer to the 23% (actually that's what I guessed when i saw those pictures). My point is, you can't trust a calculator, or even a visual image, although if you can see definition you know you're close to your goal.
    I don't have an exact measurement of my waist line so I guessed at 30 inches (I wear size 34 pants at my hips with some "wiggle room" for comfort as opposed to perfect fit).

Could be more - I wear 31/32 pants that are loose, but my waist measures 34/35 by tape measure. Vanity sizes suck.

That's true. Once I get home from work (web sensors FTL) I'll try posting a picture for the visual aid, as well as getting an accurate measurement for the calculators to get an estimate.