Exercise or not with pain?

Options
juliekin
juliekin Posts: 139 Member
Yesterday I started to get calf pain, but shook it off. I was in incredible pain this morning, took some medicine and now have to decide whether to work through it, stretch and still do my 5 miles of walking today and elliptical or take a day off. It feels like deep pain running down my calf muscles. Any helpful advice would be welcome, please.

Replies

• taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. If you're experiencing pain then take some rest. You can always work on upper body if your legs are in pain.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'll work through sore or achy... but not PAIN. Rest and if it doesn't improve, get it checked.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I have found that a good warm up helps. I have been pushing my mileage and with it some new pains in new places.

I am assume that you warm up, and then stretch? You shouldn't stretch cold muscles.

It sounds like you may be getting some cramping. For that I suggest message, heat (hot tub if you have one), eating bananas every day and lots of water.

Rest is also helpful; 2 days off changes a lot things.

Good luck!
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    It's important to recognize if it is pain, or muscle aches and soreness. It sounds more like pain, and you should rest for a couple of days, then try light exercise with stretching. 5 miles probably was too much with an injury!
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    You might be short on potassium; leg cramps are a common symptom of that. Do you take a daily multivitamin? If not, it's a good idea, or for potassium specifically, you can just eat a banana here and there.
  • juliekin
    juliekin Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I take a multivitamin and have good potassium. I will do a long gentle stretch and a couple of half mile walks and maybe a short workout. If I hurt I will stop. And I'll take a hot soak tonight.