Is Weight Loss Surgery Selling Out?

proverbs31chick
proverbs31chick Posts: 485 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello everyone, I have been someone that was not for weight loss surgery, I never judged those who did it, but I just always wanted to do it the natural way. So I started in April, exercising 4-5 times a week and counting calories, using this website. Well after about a month, I stopped, I am going to go back to the gym and will start up again. But I have to be honest and say I have been thinking again just thinking about having the Lap Band surgery. Do you think that is selling out, taking the easy route? I do plan on going back to what I was doing i.e. exercising etc. I believe if you don't make changes now and train your body, nothing will change after surgery. So what do you guys think?:ohwell:

Replies

• Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    IN MY OPINION:

Those who are morbidly obese can get a kick start by having surgery. It doesn't automatically make anyone "skinny" and usually it leads to other addiction problems within that person (as they shift from food addition to another addiction). It still requires exercise and healthy eating and isn't a "fix all".

I've had enough surgeries in my life to feel that the best way is the natural way, if you are not in an immediate life or death situation with your weight. A doctor's advice is best there.

Like you, I don't look down on anyone who has the surgery. I wish them all the best.
  • stef_e_b
    stef_e_b Posts: 593
    I don't think its selling out I think its harder. The natural way takes longer but there are no adverse health risks. A person can have alcohol if they are on a diet, where as with the surgery its not really possible. I think surgery is the last chance and most dirastic.
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    A friend of mine who had it done put it this way:

Gastric Bypass (and similar methods) are the 'easy way out' the same way a C-section is the 'easy way out' of labor. Both ways have their challenges and pose risk. I don't judge people that have had it done, but I know which way I prefer.

Talk to some people that have had it - there is a long recovery and it certainly doesn't 'fix' the underlying problem of being overweight. HOWEVER it can jump start people who just need extra incentive (such as crippling pain when they overindulge). :frown:

Best of luck to you either way!! :flowerforyou:
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Gastric Bypass (and similar methods) are the 'easy way out' the same way a C-section is the 'easy way out' of labor. Both ways have their challenges and pose risk. I don't judge people that have had it done, but I know which way I prefer.

Believe me c-section is not an easy way ouy! You don't get a c-section unless necessary.

As far as gastric bypass , in my opinion you get better results doing it natural with diet and exercise. with the surgery you lose it to quick to tone.
  • proverbs31chick
    proverbs31chick Posts: 485 Member
    Yeah I had a c section and it was not by choice. I was looking at the lap band because it is not a drastic weight loss like the gastric. A co worker of mine had it and she has lost 70lbs over a 10 month period, that is a steady weight loss. About 2-3 pounds a month, so you are able to tone so you don't have extra skin.
  • Hannah_Banana

Believe me c-section is not an easy way ouy! You don't get a c-section unless necessary.

As far as gastric bypass , in my opinion you get better results doing it natural with diet and exercise. with the surgery you lose it to quick to tone.

I obviously didn't say that very well. :ohwell: I meant that a C-section is NOT easy, but neither is labor. In the same way that weight loss surgery isn't easy - but neither is doing it the natural way. It sounded better when my friend said it I guess. :laugh:
  • JessiJean
    JessiJean Posts: 1,207 Member

Talk to some people that have had it - there is a long recovery and it certainly doesn't 'fix' the underlying problem of being overweight. HOWEVER it can jump start people who just need extra incentive (such as crippling pain when they overindulge). :frown:

:explode: Excuse me but my CSection was not an easy way out. Had I not had an emergency CSection both me and my daughter would have died!!! :grumble:

I don't consider being alive today an easy way out!
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    selling out? no, not really. It is an option. My only thought on that is that if you dont fix the issue it wont work long term. I have met a couple people who have had weight loss surgery, and years down the road they gained it all back.... why? well , probably because the didnt learn how to eat right, so once their weight stabilized they continued to overeat.

It can work if you train yourself to eat better, but then, if you are doing that, unless there is an urgent medical reason it needs to be done, the slow but steady weight loss the natural way seems best, at least to me.
  • Hannah_Banana

:explode: Excuse me but my CSection was not an easy way out. Had I not had an emergency CSection both me and my daughter would have died!!! :grumble:

I don't consider being alive today an easy way out!

*sigh* So much is lost without vocal inflection. :ohwell:
  • Sarandipity
    Sarandipity Posts: 1,560
    I don't think of it as a sell out... Some people need that extra push to get things going. It is still going to be a lot of work either way. I have done it the natural way and have lost 55 pounds in just over 6 months My Dr askedme a few months ago if I am interested in the surgery, but for me that isn't the route I want to take especially since what I am doing now is working. It is a very individual decision, you have to do what you feel is right for you.
  • i don't think she meant that a c-section is selling out... sometimes you HAVE to have a C-section. Sometimes to save someones life they have to gastric or the lap band. Obviously, in both cases that is not ideal, but sometimes its what has to be done. I thought that was a good analogy
  • Hannah_Banana
    i don't think she meant that a c-section is selling out... sometimes you HAVE to have a C-section. Sometimes to save someones life they have to gastric or the lap band. Obviously, in both cases that is not ideal, but sometimes its what has to be done. I thought that was a good analogy

Oh thank goodness, I thought I was losing my mind. :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    i don't think she meant that a c-section is selling out... sometimes you HAVE to have a C-section. Sometimes to save someones life they have to gastric or the lap band. Obviously, in both cases that is not ideal, but sometimes its what has to be done. I thought that was a good analogy

"Elective C-section" would be the easy way out. I think that's what she meant.
  • abatres7
    abatres7 Posts: 146
    Every person and every situation is different. If you can try it naturally...why not. I do know quite a few folks here at work that tried lap band and gastric bypass. They have all told me here that they did do it because it was easier then going the natural weight loss route. Although they lost a lot of weight, I have seen some of it come back. It's a mindset and a lifestyle adjustment to suceed. After hearing the stories, I decided to do it the natural way. This site has been very helpful and I am doing great.
  • Hannah_Banana

Yes.

C-section = Hard
    Labor = Hard
    Weight Loss Surgery = Hard
    Natural Weight Loss = Hard
    Analogies = Backfire!

:noway:
  • laurajoyk
    laurajoyk Posts: 305
    I think you should try it the natural way first again. It will be way easier to keep the weight off if you lose it naturally.

Also my sister in law's mother had a lap band surgery done and somehow the place where the lap band was had eaten a hole in her stomach and she almost died cause she didn't even know she was having issues with it. She had surgery to remove it and sew up the hole in her stomach. Now she had a gastric bypass done, cause she is too lazy to stick to a diet and exercise plan. She herself said she was too lazy and wouldn't have the will power to do it. I kind of think that isn't a good excuse especially if you have already almost died from a previous weight loss surgery.

Its all up to you. If you have tried losing weight with diet and exercise for more than just one month and you aren't continuing to lose weight, you may need to see a doctor and ask him about hyper thyroidism. A lot of people who are overweight can't lose weight cause of their thyroid. If you can lose weight, do it naturally otherwise the risks of surgery are too high.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member

Yes.

C-section = Hard
    Labor = Hard
    Analogies = Backfire!

Hannah, I understood you perfectly, and I find that a lot of what I say comes across the wrong way too. We are often lost in translation! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • JessiJean
    JessiJean Posts: 1,207 Member

Yes.

C-section = Hard
    Labor = Hard
    Analogies = Backfire!

That's a MUCH better way to say it :wink: Hot-Head here LOL
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    a very good friend of mine had it done. she only had 70#s to lose. she lost 50 and stopped. it has been over 3 years now and she can't take off that last 20. she doesn't live near me, so when i do talk to her, she is always complaining about how her health has changed, stomach aches, liver, kidney problems. and the long list of foods she can no longer eat, or she will be sick. the only good was she came off her diabetes meds. she is still on BP meds, acid reflux. she can't have sugar, some types of bread, many other foods. i remember one call she was so upset she couldn't have a small piece of her grandson's birthday cake, or she would be very sick. she also now has 2 glasses of wine every afternoon while watching her soaps. that's her replacement.

i thought about this many times. i started out with almost 150#s to lose. but, i want to enjoy my fav foods when i want them, now they are once in awhile. i can still enjoy them. this whole road is a "life style change" period. we need to learn how to do it. no matter what road we choose to take to do it. we just need to do it for our health.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Surgery or no surgery you still have to learn to control your eating...for me, it's more mental than physical, so I always knew weight loss surgery would be of no use to me. If someone's main problem was appetite, weight loss surgery could be just what they need, but I don't know too many obese people whose main problem is appetite...most of us eat when we're not hungry, eat to soothe our emotions, eat when we're bored, etc.
This discussion has been closed.