For Folks Who Have Lost a Parent

Options
2»

Replies

• MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Yep, I found out I am 1/8 Native American... :wink: I pretty much knew everything else... :glasses:
  • twistofcain
    twistofcain Posts: 190
    Options
    Both of my parents are still alive, but I am sure when my dad passes I am going to hear some insane ****; playa since 1948.
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Both of my parents are still alive, but I am sure when my dad passes I am going to hear some insane ****; playa since 1948.

Straight truth. His dad is a pimp.

My parents are still alive but I'm unfortunately learning about my father's dirty little secrets now.
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    After my mother passed, I never realized how much stuff a household requires to run. It's not shocking, but was a tad daunting.

Grandpa might've married grandma while he was still married. And she definitely lied about her age. Fun fun!
  • still_crafty
    still_crafty Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I had no idea my father was so highly decorated by the US Army. I knew he was in the Army, knew he did two tours in Vietnam but he NEVER, EVER spoke about it. My sisters and I found out about all of his medals and such when we were making funeral arrangements through the Veterans Administration so he could be buried at the National Cemetary in Dayton, OH.

Plus, at the funeral some of my dad's old friends told us all kinds of stories from when he was in the military. Pretty amazing *kitten*.
  • kristalael
    kristalael Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost a parent but I never met my father. All I know about him is his name and that I might have a brother who's about 9 months older than me. I'm an only child...
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    My question is - Did any of these post-death revelations change how you perceive your parents or how you live your life now?

Yes. I have a goal to go see what the nudist thing is all about. i don't know how to approach it, but she was so into it, and it was a huge part of her life. So, I'm curious about it. So, I have made it a goal to go to a place and check it out and see if it's something I might like.

The problem is, I'm a little pervy. LOL. So, I'm working through that issue.
  • Tuffjourney
    Tuffjourney Posts: 971
    Options
    "...did you learn something about them that surprised you after they passed away? "

Yes, I realized how much I loved them, (Ive lost both). All those times, where mom wouldnt stop bugging me about this or that. I would give anything just to thank her for caring so much. Apologize for being such a rotten daughter....

:sad:
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    DaughterOfTheMostHighKing Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    my dad was a ladies man. all the women wanted him. and even after he married my mom, they still came around calling! lol!!! I used to get really annoyed at this one lady who would come and "yohoo" to my mom, "is clyde home?" like as if she was asking if he could come out and play... geesh!!!! some women! the man is married!!!! he's off limits!!! don't you get it??? he has 9 children!!!! go away!!!!

I loved my dad. he was my hero. he took care of me when my mom forgot me at school, which was more often than not (he was a teacher at the school I attended for kinder) and he always asked me if I needed money or anything, because he knew my mom always left me out... :P

before he went to Heaven, he told me he was sorry for not treating my husband better ( my husband went to Heaven 2 years before my dad) He wanted my husband to provide for me a better life and didn't approve a lot of things that he did...

my dad ... I still miss him.