Fit bit

Options

Replies

• mangobadango
    mangobadango Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I left it docked and went to the store the other day, seriously considered driving 30 minutes back to get it so i wouldn't Lose my steps.

I get mad at myself when I forget to put it on immediately after getting dressed.
  • parallax693
    Options
    Wow everybody, thanks for all of the good scoop! I will probably get one soon, more motivation never hurts!
  • adampk17
    adampk17 Posts: 15
    Options
    I get mad at myself when I forget to put it on immediately after getting dressed.

Haha, I hear that. When I forget to put my fitbit back on after changing I get miffed that I have to "waste" steps to retrieve it!
  • parallax693
    Options
    Someone mentioned that it can misread when you are in the car...during the school year I drive an hour each way to work. Is there any way to shut it down during that time? What can I do?
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Pros:

1. It pushes me further. I always thought I was pretty active until I bought it.
    2. SInc's in with mfp, so it adds more exercise calories for me.
    3. Found out my actual TDEE which is around 2100, not 1800.

Cons:

1. Having to doc it on it's station to send it's info to MFP
    2. Had a problem with logging on once, but that's about it. :)

You shouldn't have to put it on the doc to synch with MFP or FitBit sites.

I love mine, it keeps me motivated to keep moving. It also showed me exactly where my activity was.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I returned mine. FitBit does not submit their data to Microsoft, so the warning for "severe sucurity issue" kept comming up. That's a little fretful, if you've ever had to recover from a computer crash before

Well, Microsoft has many of it's own security issues, as pretty much 99.8% of viruses ever made exploit Microsoft program security holes. It's likely one of the most insecure operating systems out there.

I've had a fitbit over 2 years, up to date anti virus and anti malware, and I;ve never had a problem. I should also mention one of my jobs to to repair and recover computers with security issues, and I have never used internet explorer.

As for my fitibit? I love it! After 2 1/2 years it's cracked and well worn, but I will replace it when it finally breaks.
  • poshcouture
    poshcouture Posts: 610
    Options
    can anyone compare the fitbit to the body media?

I'm using the BodyMedia Fit and I absolutely love it. It tells me how many hours I've slept, my number of steps, calories burned...if I've consumed too much of one thing and suggests eating more of another. It tracks my Best Days and tells me when I've met all, some or none of my goals for the day. Very informative.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I returned mine. FitBit does not submit their data to Microsoft, so the warning for "severe sucurity issue" kept comming up. That's a little fretful, if you've ever had to recover from a computer crash before

I have Microsoft products and never received that warning using my FitBit.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options

You could add it to the safe list & it wouldn't have been a problem anymore.
  • kalkat
    kalkat Posts: 48
    Options
    I have the fitbit ultra, I do not have to dock it to have MFP update. I freak out when I forget to put it on in the morning. In fact, yesterday I turned around and went back home for it. It motivates me to take the stairs and to walk farther.

One problem I did have was driving through the mountains. It did add stairs as we went up in elevation but it was 6 flights over 8 hours so I could easily subtract those.

Otherwise, I love love love love love my fitbit!!!
  • blankcanvas
    blankcanvas Posts: 177
    Options
    I left it docked and went to the store the other day, seriously considered driving 30 minutes back to get it so i wouldn't Lose my steps. my wife and I both love ours, keeps us moving, only issue is drive time or mowing, anything that jars you constantly, poor little fitbit thinks your running a marathon. This is easily rectified by logging your activity on the fitbit website and your steps are adjusted. It will keep you moving

That's too funny! I too left it home once and I swear I felt naked and like every step I took without it was wasted! i LOVE mine...I too should be eating more than I was! It is a definite motivator, so far today, I've climbed the Hollywood sign:) It's a real eye opener to how much (or little!) I'm actually moving! Also found out, that I'm up it seems every hour for like 10 min or so during the night, no wonder I'm so tired during the day.....One hint, make sure you clip it to your undies or bra, or men, tight jean pocket, some people have lost them using the clip they provide...I also found i get a better sleep reading clipping it to the top of my nightie rather than using the wristband...otherwise...I Love it! Love it! Would recommend it in a heartbeat:)
  • JimmyFromNC
    Options
    ageru
  • Babyglass13
    Options
    There is a way to actually log that you're "Driving Car" so it will adjust accordingly for that time period. Just be sure to pay attention to when you get into the car and how long you were driving.

I accidentally got into the pool with mine 2 days ago and have spent 2 days devastated because I wasn't able to save it. :o( But, I plan to get another as soon as I save up enough money. Such a great motivation to move. I'm sort of obsessed with it!
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    Someone mentioned that it can misread when you are in the car...during the school year I drive an hour each way to work. Is there any way to shut it down during that time? What can I do?
    If you travel at the same time everyday then just go on the fitbit website and log that time as driving and it will adjust your steps, if you are going on a long trip or mowing or somthing like that, start the timer on your fitbit when you buckle your seatbelt and stop it when you take off your seatbelt that will create a log, then you just label that log as driving or mowing or whatever.
  • red1123
    red1123 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I drive and hour to work each day and the fitbit has never logged my driving time as activity. I think it depends on how bumpy your ride is and how much elevation you gain (I live in the flat, flat Midwest, so not a problem here).
  • Deltafliers
    Deltafliers Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    There is a way to actually log that you're "Driving Car" so it will adjust accordingly for that time period. Just be sure to pay attention to when you get into the car and how long you were driving.

I accidentally got into the pool with mine 2 days ago and have spent 2 days devastated because I wasn't able to save it. :o( But, I plan to get another as soon as I save up enough money. Such a great motivation to move. I'm sort of obsessed with it!

What I do when driving for long periods of time is I turn the timer on at the start and off at the stop. Then later during the day, I use the activity log and plug in that i was driving and the program will readjust the calories. This is also useful for water activitites, and stationary workout equipment.

As for the poster above, did you ever try placing the fitbit in a jar of rice. I have heard my friends tell me it has worked when they dropped their phone in water, and the fitbit website recommends trying thr jar of rice if the fitbit gets dunked.

I have heard people with both a fitbit and hrm say the calorie burn is usually very close to one another.

If this helps, the fitbit calculates your activity by using MET calculations.

I love mine and wanted something small, in which I would not get odd tan lines during the summer. I looked into supplements too, and love that fitbit syncs with mfp; I don't have time to constantly update the sites. For that reason, even tho fitbit has a food log, I use mfp because with the phone app, I can barcode scan food. If you take care of the fitbit (should somehing happen within a year it is still under warranty) the cost come to a little more than $8/month for a weight loss device.

I did lose the clip, and by all accounts it was my error, not the product; when I contacted the company (their only customer service is email currently) they responded very quickly and and sent me a new one free of charge. Needless to say, I was impressed.
  • kinghavok
    kinghavok Posts: 104
    Options
    I use mine to log my daily walking and stair climbs. Its not that accurate when doing excercise. I use my HRM for calories and such then. but It does keep me honest during the day. I feel bad when i dont make goal!
  • Deltafliers
    Deltafliers Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I drive and hour to work each day and the fitbit has never logged my driving time as activity. I think it depends on how bumpy your ride is and how much elevation you gain (I live in the flat, flat Midwest, so not a problem here).

I live in a hilly foothills area, and I haven't had issues with the fitbit logging my ride either. I used to log diligently the time I spent in a car, but after seeing maybe, occasionally, 20 steps in an hour's worth of time, I decided it was a waste of time. :o)
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options

I thought I was the only one. :blushing:
  • LAWoman79
    LAWoman79 Posts: 348 Member
    Options

Cons:

1. Having to doc it on it's station to send it's info to MFP

You don't have to dock it, you have to be within 15 feet of the doc. Mine docks all the time when I'm unaware, cleaning the house or whatever.

I've lost 23lb with the fitbit, it's a great investment!

I don't know why...I have to doc it.