How much is "one scoop" of protien powder

Options
2»

Replies

• j77r68
    j77r68 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    the ones we have bought they have been 34 grams
    also if it's like the bulk barn they usually have nutritional info on the description board
  • QVMe
    QVMe Posts: 1 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I just measured mine. The inside, bottom of the scoop reads 'National Measures 70cc'. I poured it into my measuring cup and it is 1/4 cup or the equivalent of 4 Tablespoons, or 2 ounces. It is 80 calories per scoop. Another measuring scoop from an earlier purchase reads at the inside, bottom, 'National Measures 60cc'. When measuring it out, it was 3 Tablespoons or 1.5 ounces. I do not have the earlier container so I do not know how many calories are in the '60cc' scoop. It was of a different brand of protein powder. This observation of the difference of cc's in individual scoops, let me know that all scoops are not the same.

When I measure mine out, I do it the same way flour is measured. I scoop out the powder, and while holding the scoop level over the original container, I use the straight edge of a butter knife (top-side) to gently tap the top of the scoop so it fills in any air pockets without packing it down. I then level the powder off with the same straight edge. I then add it to my personal creation. I hope this has been helpful.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Holy necro thread. I hear you, honey, ancient poster from MFP past. The two scoops I have in the house are 1/4 cup and 1/3 cup respectively.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    8z32vai0x0aw.jpeg

The picture.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I use a whey protein that has a scoop inside each jug of powder. The Nutrition Facts label says that the serving is 50 grams (1 scoop). I recently began weighing the protein powder which I could get into that scoop. I have weighed as little as 47 g and as much as 57 g. The whey protein powder is a calorie dense food, and a single gram of the stuff matters. Using your digital scale, put the container which is about to receive the scoop on the scale. Turn on the scale, tare it, and then put your scoop of powder in. You'll get an accurate measurement.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I buy Show me the Whey vanilla protien powder from the co-op in bulk. Does anyone know how much "one scoop" is measured? I've just been assuming it is 1 tablespoon. Is that right?

It should also include a weight, usually in grams, use that measuring with a digital kitchen scale. The scoops are rarely accurate in my experience.
  • Kelbelb75
    Kelbelb75 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My serving size is 40g. I weigh mine whilst in the scoop that comes with my tub. :)
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    pants77 wrote: »
    A scoop is usually about 1/3 of a cup, I believe.
    It varies a lot- 1/3 may or may not be right.....................don't assume.

WEIGH YOUR PROTEIN POWDER.

I cannot stress this enough. I weigh mine every time I mix it and a scoop is never exactly a scoop. Unless you've packed it down completely (and who does that?) you're going to get a different amount of powder every time you mix.

When I get a level scoop of protein powder that's supposed to equal 28g, it usually ends up weighing about 23g. If I just went by the "one scoop" measure, I'd be shorting myself about 25% of the protein!

Weigh it! It takes two seconds!

This.

I weigh mine every single time too.

Check their website for the appropriate information. If you're buying by weight, it makes the most sense to use it by weight!
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    It varies depending on which protein powder you use. The EAS brands are 33g/scoop.

Looking up the brand you're asking about, one scoop seems to be around 21.28g [based on the 468g size of this protein powder, which has 22 scoops per container].
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    xvolution wrote: »
    It varies depending on which protein powder you use. The EAS brands are 33g/scoop.

That statement makes another point: make sure to get the brand AND product exactly right. My EAS powder is 21g/scoop.

"Scoop" is not a standard unit of measurement. Grams are. So are cups and tbsp but it won't be consistent going by volume.
  • teach1write
    teach1write Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I use teras'swhey grass fed protein powder and 2 scoops equals 28 grams or 5 tablespoons. One scoop is 14 grams or 2.5 Tablespoons according to their web site. I wish they would put better info. on the cans. I want to know how many grams are in one Tablespoon? I am guessing around 6 ish. Math is not my deal.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    wo2nufpsymn7.jpg
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    pants77 wrote: »
    A scoop is usually about 1/3 of a cup, I believe.
    It varies a lot- 1/3 may or may not be right.....................don't assume.

WEIGH YOUR PROTEIN POWDER.

I cannot stress this enough. I weigh mine every time I mix it and a scoop is never exactly a scoop. Unless you've packed it down completely (and who does that?) you're going to get a different amount of powder every time you mix.

When I get a level scoop of protein powder that's supposed to equal 28g, it usually ends up weighing about 23g. If I just went by the "one scoop" measure, I'd be shorting myself about 25% of the protein!

Weigh it! It takes two seconds!

I totally agree - when I see people referencing volume measures like teaspoons, scoops, cups, etc., I hope they understand that these lack the same precision as using a scale and measuring in grams and ounces. I add protein powder to my yogurt every day and always use the scale instead of the scoop.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I use teras'swhey grass fed protein powder and 2 scoops equals 28 grams or 5 tablespoons. One scoop is 14 grams or 2.5 Tablespoons according to their web site. I wish they would put better info. on the cans. I want to know how many grams are in one Tablespoon? I am guessing around 6 ish. Math is not my deal.

It doesn't matter how many grams in a tablespoon if you weigh it.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options

Just weight it.