help with chosing where to eat out tn low cal foods

Options
2»

Replies

• terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Vietnamese food....Pho is always a good choice!

Anyone have an idea of what a regular serving of Pho would be? The calories and sizes differ so much on here that I never know what to put it as.
    Go to a great sushi place, only 150 calories for 6 rolls! It would be hard to go over your calories, even if you gave it your best shot.

I almost always go overboard on sushi...
  • 197Kiki
    197Kiki Posts: 129
    Options
    You can usually look up on line before going and figure out what is the best choice! :)
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    There are a few basic rules for eating out. I would check the menus and nutrition for all the places that mentioned in advance. If you can't here is what I do.

- Skip the bread. Olive Garden bread sticks are like 125 calories each.
    - Ask for low cal dressing or at least put it on the side for salads.
    - No fried foods
    - 4oz portion will often save your caloric *kitten*. Most dinners are 8.
    - Order double veggies and skip the rice and potatoes.
    - Be wary of sauces.
    - Order grill chicken.
    - Booze is a killer. Water is best.
    - Pizza is best kept to 2 slices.
    - Share desserts on special occasions.

When i doubt, just box half the meal for lunch tomorrow. That goes for the 690 calorie Five Guys burger.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Go to a great sushi place, only 150 calories for 6 rolls! It would be hard to go over your calories, even if you gave it your best shot.

I don't know. We have an all you eat sushi bar here called Minado (Boston). They have 8 sushi chefs and 150 feet of of sushi bar. I can fit about 14 pieces on the plate and have 8 plates. Eel, tuna, shrimp, mackerel, salmon, sea urchin, caviar and crab - can't do it. :)
  • MelHoneyRocks
    Options
    Vietnamese food....Pho is always a good choice!

Anyone have an idea of what a regular serving of Pho would be? The calories and sizes differ so much on here that I never know what to put it as.

I always use my best guess calculator

I almost always go overboard on sushi...
    [/quote]
  • happythermia
    happythermia Posts: 374
    Options
    if there is a "Seasons 52" near you ... try that... everything on the menu is under 475 calories. There's one here in Phoenix and its a nice treat!

and it's all REALLY tasty! Avoid the skinny strawberry coconut cocktail...BLECH! And their desserts are YUM! They're shot glass sized and perfect :-)