How often do you let yourself eat what you really want?

Options

Replies

• IllianaIman
    IllianaIman Posts: 131
    Options
    Personally I can't deprive myself, I like to eat and make sure my tummy is happy!:sad:
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    when I go out I order exactly what I want, but I do try to limit going out. I just think, if I'm paying for it, I'm not picking the healthiest option, I am picking what I want.
  • IllianaIman
    IllianaIman Posts: 131
    Options
    I eat what I want every day, everything in moderation is my motto.

totally agree!
  • JediMaster_intraining
    JediMaster_intraining Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    once a week if i absolutely need to or for a special occasion. but i try to stay within a 2000 calorie day if i have one of those days. and i log it anyways. you gotta have some treats!
  • Bigpelly8
    Bigpelly8 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    whenever I want it, I have it. I don't go out as often, and cut back on my beer intake, but if I want something, you bet I'll have it!
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    In order to make this a life style and not a diet that i will start and stop I try to make good choices but the reality is in life there will be times we eat to much or have a few drinks more than we should In the past the choices and the slips were every day so I got very fat now the choices are mostly good choices and when they arent I dont worry about it just start over the next day living clean and healthy I have been doing this for 4 years now ( anniv May 22nd)
  • sollyn
    sollyn Posts: 179
    Options
    in our house we are so used to eating healthily that we crave it when we go away anywhere. My daughter returned from a residential and begged me to cook a proper meal!
    I call that a result.
    But I do occasionally succumb to a proper gourmet burger and chips if we go out, but I never manage to eat it all. I usually ask for a spare plate to clear half of it before I start!
  • iLose2Gain
    iLose2Gain Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I indulge when the craving is so bad its all I think about!! However, I always try to stay in my calorie count! But today someone brought in red velvet cupcakes which are my fav and it wasnt even that good!!! 2 sweet!! So my good eating habits are starting to kick in! :)
  • Ingadinga
    Ingadinga Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If I crave something I still eat it, just fit it into my calories for the week. I don't fret if I go over that day because other days I am under and it makes up for the extra splurge. Besides moderation is really good for you, and depriving yourself of a certain food is only going to cause trouble. At least for me...
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I eat out twice a week. I always stay within my calories. I plan for meals and have even gone to Five Guys burgers. I generally skip that bread at places like Olive Garden, Red Lobster and only have a little at Outback.

The answer is pretty much whenever, I just plan for it.

I skip the heavy carb items like bread, rice and potatoes - but not every time. I don't eat fried food more that once every 3 or 4 months. I have a little chocolate just about every day, and enjoy birthday cake on birthdays.
  • slimmerandslim
    Options
    I fit it into my calorie count.

And this:

So much of this is CHANGING what I "want."

I can say, "I want a cheese burger and fries." Or I can say, "I want salmon with a salad."

I know over years of advertising and shared experience I've conditioned myself to "want" the burger and fries. But the truth is, they're going to make me feel terrible, really, unless they're built into my meal plan. And I know I've been conditioned over the years to see "eating well" as DENYING myself what I want.

On the other hand, I know that if I have the salmon and salad, I'll feel better. So which one do I want. It's a bit of a trick, but it is possible to recondition yourself to think, "Hmmmm big plate of greasy food is awful..." and "Lean servings of low fat fish and salad are great."

I really recommend examining what you mean by "want" and what you really want in your life.
  • Jessamine
    Jessamine Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I almost always eat exactly what I want. I "save" for the extra calories and I don't eat as much by sharing with my husband.
  • chergarr73
    chergarr73 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want every Saturday...anything I crave throughout the week has to wait. If I still want it Saturday (which I usually don't) then I eat it.
  • V3ggieL0vinGinger
    Options
    I always let myself eat what I want, and what I want is usually super healthy. I've been eating a vegan diet with very little sugar and no chemicals for over 4 months now, and I've noticed that I no longer WANT that piece of cake or that sugary doughnut. I would much rather have some coconut yogurt with berries or a big bowl of oats with peanut butter.

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH THIS! GINGER IS MY SISTER FROM ANOTHER MOTHER!
    <3

<3 you vegan sistah! :)
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I try and always chose "better" than I have in the past! But, I do not deny myself an occasional burger, etc.

However, when I load this into MFP. I feel guilty and then charge my self a penance by bumping up my exercise to work off the extra calories and remind myself that there is a cost to everything!
  • j77r68
    j77r68 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    if you start restricting your faves you are more likely to fall off the 'get healthy' wagon. if you have cravings look for close alternatives. i.e. chocolate- in Canada they have 8 packs of different chocolates my faves are york patties at 70cals and coffee crisp at 100cals.
    you have xxxx amount of cals per day work them in or exercise extra to compensate. there can be room for your macdonald burger and fries you just need to find room or find a better for you version. maybe smaller burger- chicken burger salad or fruit instead of fries
    etc....
  • Natty0506
    Natty0506 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I can't eat many carbs, so I've resigned myself to lots of protein and veggies. *shrug* That's just how my body operates. Bread is the devil, so are potatoes and anything that's super carb-y. I can have chocolate or wine or pretty much anything else as long as it fits within my calories, but I choose to eat things that will benefit my body and assist in my weight loss.
  • olee67
    olee67 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    If I'm going out to eat, I'm pretty much chalking it up as a cheat day (you never really know how they are cooking your food, so, I assume everything towards the bad). Even if it isn't my rest day, I still count it as my cheat day for the week. I'll eat my normal balanced diet on my rest day, but, I usually pair my rest days with my cheat days. However, once a month, I'll have one meal 3-4 days out of the week, usually lunch, where I'll have whatever I want. Within reason of course. But, one day I'll stop at taco bell for a steak taco supreme and an extra taco (no soft drinks of any kind though). When you break down what you get out of that meal, the only thing that really gets maxed out is the sodium. Drinking plenty of water through the day can offset much of the effect of a high sodium day though. For the most part, per week, you should only allow yourself 3-4 "anything you want" meals.

Over time, my "anything" meals have evolved. It used to be anything fast food on cheat meals... Now, I can't remember the last time I had anything but taco bell (last sunday). Now, my go to cheat meal is a huge steak, a loaded bake potato, some steamed broccoli (with butter), and a side salad/caesar salad, or, a giant bowl of pasta with a lot of think fatty sauce. I will, however, show up to my favorite wings place every once and a while still, but, it's rare... I often don't feel too good after one of those meals, but, it keeps the binge sessions away.
  • Hadassk
    Hadassk Posts: 63
    Options
    Has your cheat meal ever turned out to be a cheat day?
  • imbanter
    imbanter Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I think of my calories like money. Once I've spent them then I'm done until the next day (although on very rare occasions I overspend) and I use those calories on things I really want sometimes. I don't think you can totally deprive yourself and stick with that for life. Whatever we do it needs to be something that we can do long-term or otherwise this is a waste of our time (IMO).