Almost always go over the sugar allotment!

Options
I usually go over my given amount of sugar in a day. I've been staying away from fruit because of it! Am I doing something wrong?

Replies

• toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, yogurt and a couple of fruits and my sugar is over
  • toysbigkid
    Options
    on here at MFP they've said not to worry about the natural sugars but I don't know
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I'm almost always over on sugar and sodium. I try not to worry about fruit sugar, but I know the salt is because I eat packaged processed foods all. the. dang. time.
    I keep an eye on it, but as long as I'm under my total calorie goal, I try not to sweat it. Maybe sometime I'll embrace the clean eating philosophy and I'm sure that'll resolve my issues.
  • gypsybree
    gypsybree Posts: 218
    Options
    Me, too!

I think the natural response would be if you're having NATURAL sugar--fruits, yogurt, milk, etc then its fine to go over.

IF you're having refined sugar--white sugar, soda, fruit snacks (jelly candy type), and other severely processed foods then its fine.

Pretty much if it wasn't manmade then go for it--manmade watch out!!!!

I'm diabetic and I've yet to make that tiny goal they have set for me, I always go over. And yes sometimes I do eat "manmade" sugars...
  • jwilson2001
    jwilson2001 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have asked this question to several before and everyone says not to worry about the natural sugars. I usually end up with two pieces of fruit and I am done! But, I try to limit the processed sugars.
  • jolarocknrolla
    jolarocknrolla Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    toysbigkid - find a lower-sugar yogurt or just switch to cottage cheese (more protein in there anyway). Because of Insulin Resistance i need to keep my sugars/starches low and most yogurts are stupidly high in sugar.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    It's pretty low, but no, I would not skip fruit because of it. Opt for the lower sugar fruits like berries instead of high sugar like mango and banana.

I've been trying Primal Blueprint (sort of) for about a week, and during this week I have been under sugars each day, even while eating around 2000 calories a day. It's a new awareness -- and it takes some time to adjust.

That being said, I lost all of my weight (15 lbs.) without watching ANYTHING but calories. I did not pay one whit to macros. The reason for my new primal experiment is largely due to starting powerlifting in March and having gradually (but massively) increased my protein. I am doing this to see how it affects my muscle development and, out of curiosity, to see if it will make me look leaner, like all of the Primal converts say it will.

You are welcome to look at my diary for ideas on what to eat while staying under on sugar.

You will note that I have my 1 pump of Starbucks pumpkin spice syrup (I have a couple big jugs of it), every morning. That alone is 8 gr carb and 8 gr sugar. Oh well; I want it; I am having it!

blessings.
  • hubkal
    hubkal Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    MFP does not seperate "good sugar from bad sugar" fruit sugar is not bad. Table sugar is bad, if the words "sugar, dextrose, glucose etc are in the ingredients than it counts! remove it from your list if you are eating fruit and yogurt if it does not have the words, sugar, dextrose etc on the label.
  • toysbigkid
    Options
    good idea to switch to cottage cheese, I like just as much as the yogurt, thanks Jolarocknroll !!!.
  • Guisma
    Guisma Posts: 215
    Options
    If ur not diabetic, i dont think u show count in sugar from fruits . In ur food diary u can choose to show the amount of vitamine C u should have a day .
  • Guisma
    Guisma Posts: 215
    Options
    should *
  • Mya80
    Mya80 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I feel ya! I have to fight one battle at a time!
  • AngelRobbie
    AngelRobbie Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I always have this problem too. I love my sweets, so it is really hard for me to cut them out. However, now that I am logging everything I eat, It helps to keep surar down. I go over regularly but the amount has gotten less though :)
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Me too!

That's why I stopped tracking sugar! :tongue:
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I do it too and i'm only eating 1200 cal a day. I'm not allowed much sugar...one banana takes a good portion of my sugar for the day! It has taught me how much sugar is included in even healthy foods though. Like in milk!!
  • carol989
    carol989 Posts: 19
    Options
    trying to abstain from sugar is definitely hard, I have found that honey is kind of your best friend when it comes to dieting,
    and it has a bunch of other awesome stuff in it, here is an article that gives you some uses for honey
    www.zozler.com/benefits-honey
    using that or agave nectar is a great way to pacify a sweet tooth.
  • chinaroad
    chinaroad Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help and suggestions! Nice to know I'm not the only one :)
  • chinaroad
    chinaroad Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    That works too, haha
  • RealHealthQuest
    RealHealthQuest Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about the natural sugars in fruit. It is the added sugar that is the problem for most people. Cut out most processed foods, read labels for added sugars, and try to not add any. For me instead of flavored yogurt I do yogurt with fruit. I no longer use sugar in my coffee (unless it is that bad and I dont have the heart to tell my husband), etc... Cut out cokes and things and you will be surprised how much you have cut out of your diet.
  • VanessaMFaulkner
    Options
    Try Greek yogart...add a little Stevia. Stick to fruit that is less in sugar (strawberry, orange, grapefruit, raspberry, apples). Stay away from processed food. ;)