Why does MFP tell me...?

Options
Why is it, than when I go over on my calories, the red writing that comes up telling me that I will have gained weight in the 5 weeks, even when I'll have only gone over by a small amount - for example, tonight I went over by 130 cals, and it told me in 5 weeks if every day was like today I will have gained a pound - 130 x 5 is not 3500 for starters, PLUS my setting are of course set to weight loss, not even maintenance. So where does MFP pull this result from, when everything else about it seems so mathematically set for correct measurements?

Or, am I missing something? Looking forward to people's answers, TIA!

Replies

• Circa1964
    Circa1964 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Ifyou went over by 130 calories on one day then it is 130 x 7 days per week x 5 weeks = 4,550 calories. That is over a pound. Don't know about the settings.
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    Ifyou went over by 130 calories on one day then it is 130 x 7 days per week x 5 weeks = 4,550 calories. That is over a pound. Don't know about the settings.

Yes but her diary is probably set at a deficit. So going over 130 calories is probably still below her TDEE.
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    It isn't set up that complex.

The correct algorithm is : surplus calories (sc) - 500 (for a pound a week) = x
    (x *7)5= gain or loss. However, the algorrithm is not that complex. They just take (+sc*7)5= xx gain + current weight or (-sc*7)5= xxloss +current weight. Not the best programming as they would probably need a Boolean flag to be set to mark the weight loss setting 1 or 2 and then, from a data base view point you have a lot more complex programming.

Simple answer they don't calculate in the 500 calorie deficit.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    It lies.
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options

Yes but her diary is probably set at a deficit. So going over 130 calories is probably still below her TDEE.

Circa, good point, my maths brain was having a wafty moment there, and you're right, however, dj09 is also correct, which brings me to John, your answer is both amazing for the cleverness of it all, and scary because at this time of night, I can't make it make sense for me, lmao.

Which brings me finally to Joolie, and I hope you are correct! Thanks all! (and i'll just try to stay clear of those Haribo to keep myself within budget :wink: )
  • Jessintherain
    Jessintherain Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I used to really like that little notice... but then I realized it absolutely lies! I give it attention on days I do well and think "heck yeah I could be down 5 lbs in 5 weeks!" On the days where I am close to, or go over, my goal I remember it is a strange little gauge that, I think, is there for the sake of motivation and isn't really accurate.
  • noiinteam
    noiinteam Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    joolieW68 baahaa.. you are funny :) i agree.. all w/ a grain of salt
  • court211006
    Options
    it freaking lies to me all the time! tells me things like if everyay was like today you'd weigh 98lbs - told me this 5 weeks ago and i reamained the same everyday so IT LIES! rudddeeee! I don't think it's calories burnt are accurate either.