Microloading

Options
For those more knowledgeable than myself: is there an advantage to microloading? I just did my first deload, and am working on getting my lifts up to 'advanced' levels (from mid-'intermediate'). I was curious if there is an advantage to increasing weights progressively in a linear manner using small (2.5/5 depending on lift) pound increases vs. doing larger increases and staying at the same weight for 2+ weeks until I hit my target reps? Will it make a significant difference in the rate at which I progress, or am I overthinking things?

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    bump. intereste in the replies.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    For those more knowledgeable than myself: is there an advantage to microloading? I just did my first deload, and am working on getting my lifts up to 'advanced' levels (from mid-'intermediate'). I was curious if there is an advantage to increasing weights progressively in a linear manner using small (2.5/5 depending on lift) pound increases vs. doing larger increases and staying at the same weight for 2+ weeks until I hit my target reps? Will it make a significant difference in the rate at which I progress, or am I overthinking things?

There is and Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 might be what you're looking for. Basically the program finds your true 1RM or estimates it to as close as possible using a formula. You then you take 90% of that number and that's your training max. Each cycle is broken up by 4-week blocks and each workout uses 6 different weight percentages, 3 for warm-up and 3 for work sets. After that 4-week block it starts over again but you take the weight you used in the prior block and increment it by 5lbs (upper body) and 10lbs (lower body). You repeat this each cycle until you hit a wall and then perform a reset.

I don't recall the exact percentages so this is just for example purposes only. A person with a training max of 100lbs on the bench press would look something like...

Week 1 Bench Press work sets would be 5/5/5+ (5 reps / 5 reps / 5 rep minimum, shoot for rep max)
    warm-up set 1 @ 45% of Training Max (45lbs)
    warm-up set 2 @ 55% (55lbs)
    warm-up set 3 @ 60% (60lbs)
    work set 1 @ 65% (65lbs)
    work set 2 @ 70% (70lbs)
    work set 3 @ 75% (75lbs)

After your complete the next three weeks you'd start over at week 1 again and increment each of the above weights by 5lbs. Your sets would now be, 50, 60, 65, 70, 75, and 80 pounds. Make sense? Go to www.JimWendler.Com and buy his 2nd edition 5/3/1 manual. It's like $20 and well worth the read plus he lays out everything nice and neat for you and explains his theory on assistance/supporting exercises.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I don't really see much advantage to microloading. Assuming you're working out in a commercial gym, the margin of error in the weights is not far from the weights you're microloading with. (ie 200# could be off by as much as 5# or more in either direction).

If you're an intermediate/advanced lifter, I'd get away from linear progression and start using a program geared more toward your level.

What are your primary goals? Strength or body-composition? Competiitve?
  • RonSwanson66
    Options
    There is and Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 might be what you're looking for.

I'm going to dissent from this. I know several strong guys that have used the program. A couple liked it, but just as many saw little to no gain from it and one or two had their squat decrease.

I've never known a single person that didn't do well on TTM. Sheiko (start w/#37) and Smolov Jr (for squat) are also viable options if you can handle the volume.
  • JNick77
    Options
    There is and Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 might be what you're looking for.

I'm going to dissent from this. I know several strong guys that have used the program. A couple liked it, but just as many saw little to no gain from it and one or two had their squat decrease.

I've never known a single person that didn't do well on TTM. Sheiko (start w/#37) and Smolov Jr (for squat) are also viable options if you can handle the volume.

Yeah, I kept stalling out on 5/3/1 but I've met others that do well on it. I've switched to Westside and it's be great! I don't think I'll ever go back to anything else.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I don't really see much advantage to microloading. Assuming you're working out in a commercial gym, the margin of error in the weights is not far from the weights you're microloading with. (ie 200# could be off by as much as 5# or more in either direction).

If you're an intermediate/advanced lifter, I'd get away from linear progression and start using a program geared more toward your level.

What are your primary goals? Strength or body-composition? Competiitve?
    I have a home gym, so while my plates may not be exact, I CAN actually control the relative weights, as I will be using the same plates every time. I have a pair of 2 1/2 lbs olympic weights, and just ordered a pair of 1 1/4 for my wife, so will have access to 2.5 lb increments as well. I am also pretty small (5'8" and a little under 140 right now), so a 5 pound increase on e.g. press is pretty substantial for me.

Not competitive, but focused on building strength while maintaining body fat. I want to keep body fat from going above around the 8% mark. My next goal is to hit the 'advanced' level on press, bench and deadlift. Squat would be nice as well, but due to knee problems, will probably take longer.

Regarding programming, I am doing a pretty standard reverse pyramid routine. Currently 3 working sets 8x8RM, then dropping ~15% for each subsequent set and doing 2 more reps ideally, so 8-10-12 reps. I will probably drop to 6-8-10 later, but currently working through some knee problems, and running into grip limitations on deadlift (trying to avoid mixed-grip as much as possible, but currently needing to use it for my last few reps on my first 2 sets), hence the higher reps. Progress is still good on my routine, so I don't really feel a need to change it up, unless someone has a compelling reason to do so.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    it's not that serious.
  • RonSwanson66
    Options
    Progress is still good on my routine, so I don't really feel a need to change it up, unless someone has a compelling reason to do so.

I can't think of a single compelling reason to ever change a program that's still working. When and if you hit a wall, take a gander at the other programs we suggested and choose the one that strikes your fancy.
  • JNick77
    Options
    Progress is still good on my routine, so I don't really feel a need to change it up, unless someone has a compelling reason to do so.

I can't think of a single compelling reason to ever change a program that's still working. When and if you hit a wall, take a gander at the other programs we suggested and choose the one that strikes your fancy.

I agree. Tonight was actually the first time I took a moment to read-up on Sheiko. I had heard about it but never really learned anything about it. It looks cool but I'm still loving Westside and making good progress so I'm not changing anytime soon.