Teach me to eat healthy and what are macros?

Options
I don't think I know how to eat healthy or what I should and shouldn't be eating. Can anyone help? What are your typicals meals? What do you avoid? I'm on a 1680 plan and I'm starting to run three days a week and walk atleast two. Any advice?

Replies

• pkfrankel
    pkfrankel Posts: 171 Member
    Options
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Macros or macronutrients are carbohydrate, protein and fats. Protein is there for muscle repair etc and you probably need at least 50g per day or 15 - 30% of calories. 25% of your 1680 is 420 calories or 105 grams of protein.

Like protein there are some fats we have to eat like Omega 3's from fish etc, and there are vitamins we have to eat that are fat soluble, so an amount of fat is necessary. 30g of fat or 270 calories is probably a minimum but you could go much higher, as I do.

Carbohydrates are the rest of your energy input.
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Maybe try to eat as natural as possible. I don't know what kinds of foods you do eat, but try to stay away from processed/ packaged foods. Try to stay away from fried foods. Try to stay away from too much refined sugar. That is a good start. Do your best to make your food at home - rather than fast food, or frozen meals. This has helped me a lot. I have a sweet tooth, so I do indulge now and then (as in I will purchase sweets myself). I love potato chips too much, so I do not buy them, but if they are served, WATCH OUT!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I find that it's easier to have a "plan" of sorts. Perhaps try following a clean eating plan for a while? That would teach you tons about nutrition and macros.

I avoid refined or enriched foods (breads, sugars) and try to eat as clean and WHOLE as possible.

this might be a good place to start:
    http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/what-is-clean-eating/
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Many people here on MFP have open food diaries, you could check and see what other people's meals look like and get some ideas.
  • babycook
    babycook Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    My diary is open if you want to check it. I have my macros set to 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein. I do that because I can't consume a lot of carbs due to a medical condition and the protein and fat fills you up. I try to eat clean. I don't do white wheat and avoid sugar. I eat 5-6 times a day. If you want to add me as a friend you'd have the honour of being my first friend!