Should breakfast be the largest meal of the day?

Replies

• monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    this is how i look at it... if i train in the afternoon i find that il have more strength and energy when i eat a big breakfast... and when i train in the morning i feel stronger if i eat a larger dinner from the nite before preferably these meals would have good amounts of carbohydrates. i try to plan around workouts and it takes time for food to digest so i just try to feel it out and see wuts optimal for me.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Wait. Where the **** am I?

Is-This-Real-Life-Or-Is-This-Just-Fanta-Sea.jpeg
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member

No kidding right? I kind of stepped out of my comfort zone on this one too lol. Not one 'Breakfast jumpstarts your metabolism!' comment.

Maybe if we're very quiet, they'll all continue to sleep.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    WHEN I STARTED TO EAT BKFAST MY MOTABALIZM SKYROCKETTED!!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member

That is an awesome pic. Definitely need to steal it.
  • prudenfit
    prudenfit Posts: 21
    Wow everyone, thanks so much for all your input! I didn't know the breakfast importance thing was a myth, I'd just assumed. And since I kinda understand my breakfast size effects, everyone's "whatever works for you" advice is perfect encouragement! Thank you!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    If a large breakfast is giving you a "need" to eat more during the day and you're struggling with calories, you've just shown yourself that a large breakfast is probably a bad idea for you.

I've found almost the same thing - in my case SKIPPING breakfast has very unfortunate consequences for me - I feel like crap and later I can empty the fridge in my gaping maw and chew until I hit condensor. OVEREATING breakfast is almost, but not quite, as much of a disaster. Eating just right, which in my case is 1/2 cup of oats made into oatmeal and one egg, means I'm started for the day but not ravenous an hour later.

A small portion of oatmeal and an egg is a nice starter for very few calories that fills me up quite nicely and keeps me full, without setting me up for a snarf-fest all day long. Your mileage may vary, because we're all different.

Timing doesn't matter, go with how you feel. Breakfast is not "the most important meal of the day". Eat your calories at the timing that makes you feel the best. One humongous meal, or (like me) a bunch of little nibbles spread throughout the day.

What works for you, works for you.
  • I eat whatever I want whenever I want...as long as I don't go over my calories for the day.
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    no
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    Not one 'Breakfast jumpstarts your metabolism!' comment.

Maybe if we're very quiet, they'll all continue to sleep.

Just for you, I'll say this: Breakfast jumpstarts MY metabolism. It's an important meal for me.

But I found what works for me and I'm going with that. I make no claims other than it's worth trying, and only if you feel like what you are doing right now is somehow not helping you. Otherwise, you skip brekkies, more refrigerator oatmeal for me! Yay!
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member

You may skip breakfast if you prefer.

This is wrong. Never Ever Skip Breakfast. After fasting all night your metabolism slow down. Feeding it breakfast gets it moving again. Think of it as a fire that's been sitting all night. It was blazing when you went to be and it's almost out in the morning. Fresh wood on it gets it burning hot again. Eat a good breakfast.
    I've heard it like this.

Eat
    Breakfast like a King
    Lunch like a Queen
    and Dinner Like a Pauper
    This has helped me to lose a bunch of weight.
  • aimee_md
    aimee_md Posts: 44
    Personal preference really.

For me it's my largest meal of the day.

I feel like if I eat a lot in the morning ill have more energy and the rest of the day to work it off, it helps me pace myself throughout the day and eat lighter.
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member

That is an awesome pic. Definitely need to steal it.

caught in a landslide, no escape from reality
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Preference. Largest meal of the day for me.
  • pkfrankel
    pkfrankel Posts: 171 Member
    Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member

It was nice while it lasted.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    I know it's the most important. But should I consume the most calories at this time since I have the rest of the day to burn it off? It's just, I feel like a a large "wholesome" breakfast preps me to eat more throughout the day. As if I make my stomach bigger by eating a lot of food, so there's a weird need to keep it full.

Anyone else have thoughts or opinions on breakfast portion?

I believe that the largest meal should be whatever one You want it to be. Digestion takes place 24/7 so YOU have to determine your needs, like:
    (1) What is your food tolerance for eating in the early morning?
    (2) Are you a high energy "Morning Person" or "Evening Person"...I'm a Morning Person so I just need coffee, water...until about 11AM-12Noon, then I start getting hungry and need a little energy (But NOT high Carbs, I'll get sleepy)
    (3) What meal do you like to relax with and it is a "Treat"...for Me, they may vary on the weekend...
    (4) Do you need constant balance/blood sugar level steady, then equal calorie meals are for you...

Basically, You decide Your Needs...example, when I was in Law School, I would NEVER eat before an exam (Stats show not eating before Tests Helps cognitive production...), personally I already knew this, food seemed to slow me down. Do what YOU Need.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    This is wrong. Never Ever Skip Breakfast. After fasting all night your metabolism slow down. Feeding it breakfast gets it moving again. Think of it as a fire that's been sitting all night. It was blazing when you went to be and it's almost out in the morning. Fresh wood on it gets it burning hot again. Eat a good breakfast.
    I've heard it like this.

Eat
    Breakfast like a King
    Lunch like a Queen
    and Dinner Like a Pauper
    This has helped me to lose a bunch of weight.

Eat. Breakfast until you feel like you've started your day. Lunch as snacks all day long. Supper to fill any gaps in macros. This has helped ME lose a bunch of weight.

Eat. Breakfast not at all. Lunch all your calories. Supper not at all. This has helped a friend of mine lose a bunch of weight.

Eat. Big breakfast, no lunch, huge supper at 10PM. This has helped my uncle lose a bunch of weight.

Common denominator: we all ate at a net caloric deficit.

That's what counts. If you're eating your macros in balance, your body has sufficient fuel to run for 24 hours even if you only eat one meal. Timing is largely irrelevant. Timing is far more important to control hunger, and everyone reacts differently to that.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member

It was nice while it lasted.

LOL! So true....

I only eat breakfast to keep from punching someone......I am starving like a mofo when I wake up...it's something like a bear right out of hibernation
  • RilantheFirebug
    RilantheFirebug Posts: 207 Member
    Lunch tends to be mine. Do what works for you.