Replies

• mrsmel55
    mrsmel55 Posts: 168
    Options
    Since I don't care for vegetables too much...my sides are usually these:

Baby lima beans (no sodium)
    Petite Pois Peas (lpwer sodium)
    Creamy Style Red Beans (No salt added)
    Creamy Style White Beans (No salt added)
    Bush's Dark Red Kidney Beans (lower sodium)

For the beans, I usually sautee 1/4 cups of onions until soft and starting to turn brown, sometimes I add 4 oz of turkey sausage and the beans, for the sweet peas I like to add 1 medium potato cut into small chunks.

I serve these sides with Grilled chicken, grilled fish, pork chops, turkey meatballs. Since we are very sodium concious I always buy no sodium fresh frozen if possible and no or low sodium in cans.

And we a lot of cucumbers.
  • lavlei
    lavlei Posts: 26
    Options
    I fry zucchini and mushrooms using a little cooking spray and add minced garlic, salt and pepper. Finish it off with a small sprinkle of parmesan. Delish!

sounds delish!
  • Rockstar_sister
    Rockstar_sister Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas - I will definitely be trying some of these!! Thanks!! Keep the ideas coming! :)

:wink:
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options
    Baked sweet potatoes, oven-fried zucchini sticks, tomato salad, grilled corn on the cob or grilled asparagus, etc.
  • utahgirl247
    utahgirl247 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Oven Baked Zucchini Fries
    Serves 4

Ingredients
    3/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
    1 (9 inch) zucchini, peeled
    1/4 cup margarine or butter, melted

Directions
    1. Preheat an oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil lightly greased with cooking spray.
    2. Cut the peeled zucchini in half lengthwise and remove the seeds. Slice the zucchini ito 1/2 x 1/2 x 4 inch pieces.
    3. Combine the bread crumbs, cheese, and seasoned salt in a pie plate. Dip the zucchini fries into the melted margarine, then press into bread crumbs. Gently toss between your hands so any bread crumbs that haven't stuck can fall away. Place the breaded zucchini onto the prepared baking sheet.
    4. Bake the zucchini in the preheated oven until the fries are golden and tender, about 15 minutes.

Amount Per Serving Calories: 217
  • melpix123
    melpix123 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Broccoli with garlic and cashews. Microwave or boil florets of broccoli. Lightly fry up thinly sliced garlic in a pan, add broccoli and cashews. Yum!
  • mandi2r
    mandi2r Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I love asparagus...
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    brussel sprouts halfed and lightly tossed in olive oil and dash of black pepper and sea salt and roasted in the oven at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

I know, brussel sprouts, normally gross--but here--delicious. I hated them, 'til I had them like this, now I know they can be delicious.

THIS
    One of my favorite vegetable dishes.

Agreed - I'm having this tonight.

Another dish is to make some roasted garbanzo beans:

One 15-ounce can garbanzo beans
    1 (or less, if you want) tablespoon olive oil
    Salt
    Spices to taste

1. preheat oven: 400 F
    2. drain, strain, rinse a can of garbanzos, and shake out as much moisture as you can, then set on a paper towel
    3. take another paper towel to absorb more moisture on top, gently pressing and rolling over the beans. This should also shake loose many of the bean skins which you can remove (it won't hurt you to eat, but I like to remove as many as I can)
    4. put beans in a zip-lock with oil, shake. add spices and some salt, shake to coat - then let the beans sit until the oven is hot.
    5. pour beans on a Pam-sprayed baking sheet, and roast for 30 to 40 minutes until golden brown and crunchy.
    6. remove from oven add more salt/spice to taste. Enjoy!

This recipe is easily doubled (or tripled :glasses: )
  • Pattywack74
    Options
    Bump! Thanks
  • Amazon135
    Amazon135 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    They somehow seem to have fallen off the general radar, but I'll do just about anything for a steamed artichoke.
  • MissB0949
    MissB0949 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    My fam likes to do ranch style beans loaded with chili powder. Black beans. Chopped broccoli or green beans with I Can't Believe its not butter spray. Oven roasted potatoes.
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing is a simple baby spinach salad with balsalmic vinegar, a teensy bit of olive oil, sliced almonds, craisins, feta, and maybe some cold turkey :)

stop! im drooling! lol
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    - Roast or steam some cauliflower and melt a little bit of cheese over the top.
    - Pan fry some chopped mushrooms with garlic, when they are brown add some frozen peas then stir in cooked rice.
    - Roast veggies - roast sliced red onion, sweet potato in the oven drizzled with a bit of olive oil, when they are almost done, add some mushrooms and capsicum and cook until they are all done.
    - steamed fresh green beans (I usually cook them in the microwave), drizzle them with a little bit of olive oil, lemon juice and sprinkle with a few flaked almonds.
    - my quickest standby - toss some raw cherry tomatoes and snow peas on the plate. Add some slices of orange if you have one.
  • Thena81
    Options
    i make salad with sauteed peppers and onions, with tomatoes and kens light options dressing! also, fresh from my garden green beans, rice, carrots, uhm... any fresh veg!
  • monyango
    monyango Posts: 166
    Options
    Quinoa (my kids love it)
    Couscous
    - both of the above can be loaded with veggies and eaten warm or cold
    Squash
    Yams
    Beans (my husband and kids love beans)
  • Thena81
    Options
    - Roast or steam some cauliflower and melt a little bit of cheese over the top.
    - Pan fry some chopped mushrooms with garlic, when they are brown add some frozen peas then stir in cooked rice.
    - Roast veggies - roast sliced red onion, sweet potato in the oven drizzled with a bit of olive oil, when they are almost done, add some mushrooms and capsicum and cook until they are all done.
    - steamed fresh green beans (I usually cook them in the microwave), drizzle them with a little bit of olive oil, lemon juice and sprinkle with a few flaked almonds.
    - my quickest standby - toss some raw cherry tomatoes and snow peas on the plate. Add some slices of orange if you have one.

yesssssssssssssssss!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    brussel sprouts halfed and lightly tossed in olive oil and dash of black pepper and sea salt and roasted in the oven at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

I know, brussel sprouts, normally gross--but here--delicious. I hated them, 'til I had them like this, now I know they can be delicious.
    Sounds great, thanks :)
  • SlimSumday
    SlimSumday Posts: 379 Member
    Options

I am going to try this! Thanks!
  • trist22
    trist22 Posts: 5
    Options
    I change it up but lately I have been craving sliced tomatoes with oregano and Oil and Vinegar on them.. and a side of cottage cheese.
  • meganmarkworth
    Options
    bump