Having issues with excess STOMACH FAT. Anyone else?

Options
Hi. :)

So, I am 5'10, started at 213lbs and am now down to 167lbs. I'm about 10-15lbs from where I want to be. But I also have a massive amount of excess skin (gained tons of weight with first child) and will need abdominoplasty in the future so this could account for a sufficient amount of poundage. Which kind of sucks because I don't know exactly how much more weight to lose.

But, regardless of the excess skin....
I've lost a good amount of weight from my whole body, but my stomach still has SO MUCH FAT. I pretty much look pregnant. Especially in the area right above my belly button. Does anyone else have this issue?
From what I know, I can't spot reduce an area. But it's driving me nuts.

I do strength and weight training and have for as long as I've been doing cardio. Which is close to a year now. I also do all the different crunches and exercises for my stomach.

I don't get it!?!?!?!?!?!

Any suggestions or advice would be really appreciated. Thanks.

Replies

• stonerdude
    stonerdude Posts: 103
    Options
    If you google adopinectin click on the top ad and watch the 20 reason that you can't lose the belly fat.
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    If you google adopinectin click on the top ad and watch the 20 reason that you can't lose the belly fat.

Um, so basically you're telling me to go to my doctor?
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem. Everywhere else is getting tight but I have this little bit right in the middle of my stomach above my belly button that just won't go flat!

I'm interested to hear what others have to say as well :)
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Look up abdominal diastasis, that may be your problem. Especially if you say you look pregnant.
  • Gioooo
    Gioooo Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    At your height and weight you should be eating alot more then 1200 cals. Some days you arent even eating 1200. Thats just gna lead to a plateau
  • bm99
    Options
    I don't get the comments people are leaving. You did good don't get me wrong, but I don't think 40lbs loss would even lead to saggy skin. Just give it a bit of time. People who usually have saggy skin are the ones who lose 80-200 if not more.

I think the problem is you expected to look a certain weight at your current weight... well you don't like what you see at that weight. So once you reach you goal, if you don't like how you look set another goal.

are you eating 1200 calories a day???

A "pouchy" stomach can be the result of your abdominal muscles separating and not mending back together like they are supposed to after a pregnancy. They say certain exercise can help it (or make it worse), but the only sure way to get rid of it is surgery.
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Have your bodyfat percentage measured at your stomach and hip (right above hip bone). It could be fat, it could be skin, or that you just need to tighten those muscles but also try to eat less carbs (if you haven't already).

I had that issue too my upper body was toned and my tummy just look 3 months preggo (after 2 children and a c-section). I upped my protein 100-120 sometimes more a day, lessened my carbs and I really focus on my core when working out. Even during cardio, especially running! Get someone to measure your tummy fat % and try using a medicine ball during crunches (or any ab exercise add some time of resistance). Best of luck to ya!

I'm still working on my lower 2 of my 6 pack because I think that's my "problem" area but it's come a long way from looking preggo.
  • vivahat
    vivahat Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Shooting in the dark here, but have you tried kegal exercises? I have heard that over time these are the ones that help. Also, if you are already doing ab-exercises you may want to check if you are doing them to get the most effect. Many times if you slow just the speed of the exercise you feel it more.. Hope this helps.
  • bm99
    Options
    Shooting in the dark here, but have you tried kegal exercises? I have heard that over time these are the ones that help. Also, if you are already doing ab-exercises you may want to check if you are doing them to get the most effect. Many times if you slow just the speed of the exercise you feel it more.. Hope this helps.

Kegel exercises strengthen the vaginal floor.
  • FiercelyBeautiful
    FiercelyBeautiful Posts: 590 Member
    Options

Kegel exercises strengthen the vaginal floor.

This made me giggle, not to be rude it just really made me giggle lol
  • DarcieC2389
    DarcieC2389 Posts: 146
    Options
    I have had a very flabby tummy area since I was about 14 and long before having a baby. While I do hope to lose most of my extra weight, I doubt my abdominals will ever be totally flat. I have accepted this and probably has a little to do with genetics too.
  • amandavictoria80
    Options
    Look up abdominal diastasis, that may be your problem. Especially if you say you look pregnant.

Yeah, abdominal diastasis is something corrected when undergoing abdominoplasty. That's extremely common with women who have had children.
    Thanks.
  • amandavictoria80
    Options
    I don't get the comments people are leaving. You did good don't get me wrong, but I don't think 40lbs loss would even lead to saggy skin. Just give it a bit of time. People who usually have saggy skin are the ones who lose 80-200 if not more.

I think the problem is you expected to look a certain weight at your current weight... well you don't like what you see at that weight. So once you reach you goal, if you don't like how you look set another goal.

are you eating 1200 calories a day???

I've actually lost nearly 100lbs in total. My heaviest was 268lbs. I also gained about 80lbs. with my first child.
    I've already had a consultation with a doctor. I am a perfect candidate for abdominoplasty. I've done all the research. Trust me, my stomach is not a 'give it time' kind of situation. It's pretty abrasive actually.

Yes. I have been eating 1200 calories a day for a year. It's what MFP calculated for me so it's what I stuck to.
    I have now upped that to 1800 in order to compensate for weight training.