does this really work???

Options
I just started this last Monday...I really LOVE the calorie counter, but i'm not sure if this is really gonna work...I can't consume all the calories that it is allowing me to have....for example, today i STILL have 723 calories to use up, i've had my supper and everything!! PLUS that is WITHOUT adding in any exercise that I have done today....it keeps adding calories when i have done anything :huh: !!! and trust me when i say I DO NOT STARVE MYSELF lol...i love food WAY to much for that!! haha...that's how i got myself into this mess :blushing: !!!!! ....It just feels too easy...so i'm wondering if anyone else feels the same way...or should i just have faith in the system??

Replies

• sgstarling
    sgstarling Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm new too, but I have an idea. Did you double check your diet profile for accuracy? Especially 2 things in there, the first is the reported daily activity level (mine is Lightly Active), the 2nd could be a big error, the Goal setting. I have mine set to Lose 1 pound per week. But there are lots of choices, even a goal choice to GAIN 1 pound per week!
  • hope76579
    hope76579 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    It has been working for me, I try not to eat back any calories I earned from working out, but if I am hungry or shaky, I will.
  • tarheelfj40
    Options
    MFP is definitely a useful tool and when used in conjunction with a great exercise program, you will see results. My own experience is this. I started my fitness journey in January of this year. I was at my heaviest of 240 pounds. A friend of mine who is a Beachbody coach encouraged me to track what I was eating and suggested MFP. After 3-4 weeks of eating "healthy" and working out (with very little loss), I finally gave in and started tracking with MFP. Once I realized what my white and yellow lines were (the lines on the road that keep us safe and out of ditches and from head on collisions) I began to realize that although I was eating much more healthy foods, I was still eating way too many calories to meet my goals. Once I got things dialed in, I started to exceed my 2 pounds per week loss almost every week.

I suggest making sure that you are eating balanced meals more frequently than just eating whatever you want while staying within your caloric goals. Sure, you will see results, but you will not fuel your body with the right nutrients and hope for a long term stick. I would focus more on getting healthy amounts of clean protein, vegetables, fruit, and clean carbs. Try to get your carbs in before your evening meals. For instance, I have 6 meals a day. My meals 1-4 I have 30 grams of protein, 30 grams of carbs, 1 cup of veggies, and 1/4 cup of fruit. Meals 5-6 I only have 30 grams of protein and veggies.

I have lost just over 60 pounds and feel amazing. Hope some of this helps.
  • Ellymae75
    Ellymae75 Posts: 4
    Options
    that is all great advice....as i go along and find my "safe zone" things will even itself out thanks for the tips !!:smile: I WILL say that doing this even for such a short time I've come to realize that there are things i'm NOT willing to eat just because of the calories!! so that's a HUGE thing for me...i really never cared...i ate what i want WHEN i wanted....for the first time in my life i'm actually THINKING about whether or not something is worth eating!!
    My doctor said for me to join up in here...and didn't really think it was for me....and waited almost 2weeks before i even came to check it out....but when i did I thought it was actually cool!! so here I am...on my LIFE LONG journey!!
  • Cambrendle
    Cambrendle Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    On the days I eat good quality food choices I have trouble meeting my calories as well, and that's even trying to meet the minimum of 1200 - without getting in exercise. The quality food seems to fill me up faster and for longer than the junk food did. I've been trying to find just the right balance to eat enough calories per day so my body doesn't think it's starving but so that I also don't feel so full I feel the awful over full gonna vomit feeling. Hopefully we can all learn some easy tips from each other along the way :)