Upper Body Workout/Lower Body Workout - Exercises

Options
Ok. So, as suggested, I've been doing a bunch of research on strength/weight training. Which I am sort of new to. I lost a bunch of weight and I am ready to get cut and burn body fat. I still plan on doing cardio as well.

I'm still trying to figure out my Upper and Lower Body Workouts.

I accumulated and wrote down basic Upper Body and Lower Body exercises to follow and hope that they will get me to my goal.
From what I can tell, there are so many more upper body exercises than lower body. Is this true? Should I alternate days with Upper and Lower Body, or can I do them both in the same workout?

The Upper Body Exercises I wrote down are: push ups, chest press, chest flies, bicep curls, overhead press, hammer curls, front raises, side raises, kick backs, pull over, tricep extensions, tricep dips and dumbbell rows.
Are these all exercises I should do? Do I do them all in one workout? Or split my upper body workout into two days? It seems like a lot.

The lower body exercises I wrote down are: Squats, Lunges, Leg Extensions, Hip Extensions and Glutes Kick Backs. What other good ones are there if any? I have a barbell or weighted vest to do my squats, lunges, etc.

Of course, I will also be doing exercises for abs.

I really appreciate any help, suggestions or advice you can give me. It's a lot to get educated about.

Thanks!!!

Replies

• AMANDALOU4546
    Options
    Those are all perfect strength exercises for upper and lower body. You should definitely split it up though upper one day and lower the next or do like 2 upper body and 2 lower body one day and then do different ones the next day, muscle needs time to recover or you will burn muscle and not fat.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Ok. So, as suggested, I've been doing a bunch of research on strength/weight training. Which I am sort of new to. I lost a bunch of weight and I am ready to get cut and burn body fat. I still plan on doing cardio as well.

I'm still trying to figure out my Upper and Lower Body Workouts.

I accumulated and wrote down basic Upper Body and Lower Body exercises to follow and hope that they will get me to my goal.
    From what I can tell, there are so many more upper body exercises than lower body. Is this true? Should I alternate days with Upper and Lower Body, or can I do them both in the same workout?

The Upper Body Exercises I wrote down are: push ups, chest press, chest flies, bicep curls, overhead press, hammer curls, front raises, side raises, kick backs, pull over, tricep extensions, tricep dips and dumbbell rows.
    Are these all exercises I should do? Do I do them all in one workout? Or split my upper body workout into two days? It seems like a lot.

The lower body exercises I wrote down are: Squats, Lunges, Leg Extensions, Hip Extensions and Glutes Kick Backs. What other good ones are there if any? I have a barbell or weighted vest to do my squats, lunges, etc.

Of course, I will also be doing exercises for abs.

I really appreciate any help, suggestions or advice you can give me. It's a lot to get educated about.

Thanks!!!

Good start but I think you need to diversify a little. Upper body has many more muscle groups so I'd try something closer to this:

Chest: Bench Press or Bench Press Variant (Flat, Incline, Decline, Floor, Close-Grip, or Pin Press)
    Chest: Dumbell Bench (Flat, Decline, Floor)
    Back: Chin-ups
    Back: Some kind of rowing exercise.
    Shoulders: Press or shrug
    Biceps: 1 curl exercise
    Tricep: 1 extension exercise or dips
    Ab's

Legs are super simple.
    Main: Back Squats or Deadlifts (rotate between the two)
    Quad: Lunge variant (walking, forward, reverse with a DB or BB), Bulgarian Split Squats,
    Hamstring: Romanian Deadlifts or Good Mornings
    Calves: Calf raises or whatever calf machine contraption is available
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for this. :) It's very helpful and I will use it as a tool.

I'm a little confused about 'Good Mornings'. Aren't they for the lower back?

And I don't have anyway to do chin ups. Would Leg raises with a Captains Chair suffice?
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for this. :) It's very helpful and I will use it as a tool.

I'm a little confused about 'Good Mornings'. Aren't they for the lower back?

And I don't have anyway to do chin ups. Would Leg raises with a Captains Chair suffice?

Chin-ups are a back exercise, I'm not sure how leg raises will help you there.

Good Mornings hit the lower back, glutes, and hamstrings. :)