Loss of a Parent

Options

Replies

• slhodge05
    slhodge05 Posts: 3
    Options
    Today is the 8 year anniversary of my mom passing away in a car accident. I miss her everyday, but especially today. I was telling a friend earlier that people tell you time heals, but to me it sometimes still feels like yesterday. You will definitely be in my thoughts and prayers because I absolutely know how you feel.
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    its been 1 year and 7 months since i lost my dad its so hard!
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    I lost my Mom in Nov. 2005, (My Sons 10th Birthday) from cancer. I still miss her today as much as I did then. It has been 13 years since my Dad passed, same thing.
  • stefanieceleste0530
    stefanieceleste0530 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. My mother passed away in March 2007 at the age of 55. I was with her when she took her last breath also - she was in hospice care in her home and I spent the last 2 weeks of her life by her side. She was absolutely my best friend - we did so much together - and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of her and miss her.

You're in my thoughts because I know how difficult it can be. :heart:
  • bellaitalia603
    bellaitalia603 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    i lost my father 8 months ago to his third heart attack, hence me wanting to change my life the way he never could health wise. it is so hard and doesn't get any easier. though he is my motivation in getting through the hard diet/work out times, and i hope that i can make him proud with my results.
  • alli_baba
    alli_baba Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I can completely empathize. I lost my mom over 2 years ago and I still miss her every single day. The pain seems hardest whenever I see women my age out with their mothers -- I would give just about anything to trade places and have my mom back with me to do everyday stuff like shopping or going out to lunch :-(

But life moves on. I'm just grateful to have had her in my life for as long as I did. Best wishes!!
  • blueangel20110
    Options
    Wow, my heart goes out to each and everyone of you. You are all in my thoughts and prayers. I find some peace whether I should or not that I'm not alone. All of your words of encouragement has helped me tonight and I thank you so much. I will light a candle tonight for my mom and for all of your loved ones that have passed as well. God bless you all!
  • natvanessa
    natvanessa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I know the pain :cry:

I lost my dad 8 years ago due to a crazy freak accident (gasoline fire). I didn't get to say goodbye and I think about him every day.
    I had a good cry the other night actually.
  • kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I lost my mom in August of 2003 at the age of 46. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about her and miss her more than words can say.

I will keep you in my thoughts, I know how hard it is.
  • 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    i lost my mother 11 yrs. ago on June 29th. When she went, a part of me went too. I became depressed and isolated myself from the world and cried endlessly. I gained a lot of weight because of the depression and I knew if I gave up on myself and stopped living and enjoying life that she really would be totally gone. I am thankful I have my affairs and life in order and know that through me she will always LIVE! I miss her, love her and still cry after all this time, but; it is not tears of sadness~ but tears of happiness because I am making an effort now every single day to enjoy and live life to the fullest....for her. It is okay to feel the pain when someone we love passes, it is not okay to give up on life to do so. Try to remember her in the goodness and happiest times of her life and not the saddest and loneliest. You will never "get over" her, but you can enjoy all the things she would want to if she were here physically with you still. Best wishes for kind remberence of your dear mother. :flowerforyou:
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I fully understand... my mother passed away 4 yrs ago because of Alzheimer. I find my peace knowing that she is in a much better place not confused any longer, not frustrated during the lucid times ... she was only 62 yrs old.

Keep strong, celebrate her - though we can touch them they are forever with us in our hearts :)

Big Hug
  • MissGraziano
    Options
    I didn't lose my mom but I did lose my dad 7 months ago to Multiple Myeloma, a type of blood cancer. Every day is a struggle for sure.. but I just try my best to remember that he wouldn't want me to be sad. Life just doesn't seem fair after you lose a parent.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss. :(

It does sound like you were able to enjoy a good relationship with her and that she was able to enjoy her life during the younger years. I am very glad for this and I hope you hold on to those memories as much as the later ones.

:)
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    My wife lost her mom around the same time as you. Very sorry. Not a good way to lose a loved one.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Ya that sucks. I know a little bit about death but I dont just focus on my parent I lost as I have had to bury lots of family and friends and they were all special in one way or another. Just in my family and close friends alone I lost my dad, 2 grandpa's, 2 grandma's, 3 uncles, 2 aunts, 3 best friends, 2 good friends, 1 cousin and many animal pet friend, again that is just in my family and close friends alone. I am in my 30's so its been busy. Ya I know a thing or two about death but such is life. At first death was shocking but now its just a process.
    Its always good to remember but dont let it take you into a deep depression as this can become serious. Keep your chin up and remember they would want you to enjoy your life as your journey is unique and one of a kind like those of who you have lost. :flowerforyou:
  • DrGeriK
    DrGeriK Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My heart goes out to all of you. Losing someone is always difficult. I have lost two babies through miscarriages and I think about them often even though they have been gone awhile. Gerilyn would have been 14 yo this past February and Victoria would have been 10 yo in February also. January 2, 2012 I lost my Daddy. He spent his 82nd birthday in the hospital had a defibulator put in the next day and then was discharged from the hospital with a poor prognosis (He had congestive heart failure) He died in hospice with my Mom, his loving wife of 53 years by his side. I miss him so much!!!!! I was blessed to have him in my life for so long, but it's still hard sometimes. Unfortunately, grief is a process that takes time to go through. I ask that God comfort each of you concerning your losses. It is because of my promise to my Daddy (that I would take care of my weight) as well as the recommendation of my Mom that I am here on this site. I thank God for MFP, it keeps me accountable.
  • AriesGrl
    AriesGrl Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I agree itis nice to know your not alone....today is my mom's bday and i was feeling sad till I read this...my mom passed away March 13, 2008 of Lupus...I too sat by her side and watched her take her last breath after choosing to take her off life support...that image never goes away...neither does the fact that im the one that signed the paper to end her life....I was only 24 and her only grandson was barely 18 mo and I hate he dosent remember her....I try every day to hear her voice but its fading....the one thing they cant take away are your memories so relish them and remember the good times with her today....(((((HUGS))))))
  • vfnmoody
    vfnmoody Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Sorry for your loss. I lost my mother in 1985 and think of her everyday.
    You will never forget her. Her influence on the world will live on through you.
    Take the best parts of her time with you and build within yourself a place of comfort and memory.
  • keesh1123
    keesh1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I "lost" my mom when I was 10. She didn't die, she had a hysterectomy and followed by a stroke and slipped into a coma for 2 months. She was only 32. She came out brain dead, blind and paralyzed. She has lived in a hospital since 1985 with no idea who her family or surrroundings are.

I lost my dad and 5 year old brother in a horrific car accident 3 years ago. :sad:

There isn't a day that I don't think about and miss them. You always will, just remember and cherish the good memories you have.

I haven't lost anyone close to me besides my grandmother two years ago, but this ^^^ story was so heartbreaking to me that I had to post and say, "Blessings to you". :heart:
  • Tonika44137
    Tonika44137 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for loss and I can understand how you're feeling..my mom passed away when i was 4 yoa so I dont remember a thing about her so please appreciate the memories you have...I miss my mom more now as I get older than I ever have as a young child so alot of times I sit and cry/talk to her as if she just left so I dont think that hurt/pain ever leaves us..so cry if you have to but know shes always with you (thats what I believe)