night shift worker needs help

Options
i work at night and sleep all day and need to get some help on how to eat at night. should i eat like it was day or should i munch on small things. Any night workers losing weight pls help!!!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• jasroper
    Options
    I am not a night worker, but a friend of mine reminded me that no matter what as long as we are awake our body is going to want to eat. With that being said, if I were you I wouldn't exactly eat as if I was working day shift if I'm not as active as I would be. I don't think you can go wrong by eating small by frequently throughout your shift, it's better than starving yourself or eating stuff from the vending machines all night :) Night shift or day shift, eating "right" is a challenge...good luck with whatever you do! Put the change back in your pocket and bring fruit / sandwich to work instead! :)
  • blindrn
    blindrn Posts: 12
    Options
    I work nights. I simply eat my daily calories over the course of time that I'm awake and working that night. I don't eat more or less because it is nighttime. Whatever I eat when I first get up for the day is "breakfast" etc. I eat about 75% of my calories for my three main "meals", then have the remaining 25% as snacks between the meals as it fits in. Seems to work for me.
  • zgolub
    zgolub Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I am a night shift worker too. Just stick to your calorie plan. It is tricky to not overeat. I have a variable schedule too, so it's not just nights, every night. On my "long" days, when I am awake at noon and then work till 7am the next day, I wind up having 4 meals with tons of snacks, so the next "short" day, meaning I awake at 5pm and go to sleep at midnight, I have only 1-2 meals. So balance out throughout several days.
  • trynhrd2lose
    trynhrd2lose Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Well night shift worker, I too am having a problem with eating the rights things day or night. I try to eat smaller meals if I am up during the day and TRY VERY, VERY, VERY hard to eat sensible at night. It is a challenge I know. Don't forget what ever you eat after midnight is considered as breakfast for that day. So if you eat dinner during your shift at night, when you get home eat some fruit and go to bed. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!