4 Hours Sleep? Really

Options
I'm new to Fitbit and for the past two nights I've slept with the Fitbit on my wrist. Although it says I'm in bed for 7 - 8 hours it shows I'm only getting a little over 4 hours sleep a night. Apparently I woke up 8 times the first night and 12 times the second. I certainly don't recall laying awake, so I'm wondering if this is measuring deep sleep. Although I often feel tired during the day and catch myself yawning a lot, I was incredibly surprised to see 4 hours sleep.

Has anyone else seen such disparity between the time in bed and actual sleep?

Pam

Replies

• Digbysmom
    Digbysmom Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm just bumping this in the hopes someone's had a similar stat.
  • picimadar
    picimadar Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Try changing your fitbit's settings from sensitive to normal on fitbit's website. I have been in bed for 9 hours and gotten 4 hours of sleep, waking up close to 40 times. Most of the time I wake up over 20... I don't get very good sleeps and I know that, but I'm USED to waking up tired. It could be that you are too, or it could just be a fluke!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I haven't shown anything THAT extreme, but I have shown that there were nights that I woke up like 15 times. Look at the red spikes on the graph--did you have wake ups like every 30-45 minutes? were you *awake* for like 5-10 minutes at a time? From what I understand, when you are in a deep sleep, you don't really move much. Somehow it tracks MAJOR moves, like rolling over in bed, as being awake. You may not have been *awake* for 3-4 hours, but you might have had a cruddy, restless night...
  • picimadar
    picimadar Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Yup, that's exactly what it means. By 'awake' it basically means 'no longer in a stage 2 or deeper sleep'. You might not consciously awaken, but your body isn't resting if you're rolling over and waiting to go back into another REM state.
  • Digbysmom
    Digbysmom Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm pretty sure I'm a restless sleeper. I know I toss and turn a lot. I'm adjusting the setting to normal for tonight and I'll see if that makes a difference. Boy no wonder I wake up tired!

Thanks again.

Pam
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    another thing you might want to look into if you are *always* tired despite ample opportunity to sleep, ask your doctor about having a sleep study done. My husband was a LOUD snorer, and got to the point where he spent most of the week nights dozing on the couch, and 90% of the weekend asleep on the couch. When the doctor sent him for a sleep study, he was found to have moderate sleep apnea--he was stopping breathing about 6 times an hour. Once he got a CPAP machine, a good bit of the extreme exhaustion went away.