Why can't I eat at night?

Options

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i dont get this either. it makes no biological sense what so ever because you're body needs as many calories as it needs throughout a 24 hour period. i think people who say stuff like you shouldnt eat after a certain time just fail at science :laugh:

i eat all times of the day and it hasnt hindered my weight loss. i've even had times where i've woken up in the middle asleep was HUNGRY. ran to the fridge and grabbed a handful of strawberries and apiece of cold chicken ate it and went back to sleep
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    We eat dinner anywhere from 6:30 pm till 9 Pm. I am in bed sleeping by 9:30 at the latest. I am still losing weight . The only thing I have changed is my portion size.
  • elizaberries
    Options
    eating at night is no big deal. just don't eat carbs at night. don't eat carbs ever, really. i'm exaggerating, but you get the idea.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I've spent WAY too much time on these forums today, but I've seen at least 7 people emphatically state that you shouldn't eat x number of hours before you go to bed (x being 2/3 hrs or a cutoff of 7/8pm which I'm assuming translates to 2/3/4 hrs before bed). I will eat a total of 1500 calories today. I'm eating about 650 of those now (it's 9pm where I am), and I'll probably have another 200-300 in my pj's in my bed in a couple of hours. I'll go to "bed" around 11.

This is my daily routine-except I'm eating dinner earlier than usual. I'm not terribly interested in changing my schedule (unless there is a compelling reason to do so)-I'm just curious why I "can't" successfully lose weight eating at night. Since I've seen it posted several times today-I'm hoping someone can chime in and let me know the physiological reasoning behind why eating at night is bad for me.

You have lost 64 lbs doing what you are doing, I think you are doing it right for YOU!!!!
  • pambaldwin
    pambaldwin Posts: 18
    Options
    Yes, you can eat at night as long as you don't eat junk food. You should be eating every 3 hours or so including at night with no huge meals. It will keep your metabolism working and you have the whole sleeping time to fast. If you have been doing this and you have already lost 64 pounds then it must be okay.
  • BeantownSooner
    Options
    My belief is that if I go to bed on a completely empty stomach my body will consume calories, i.e. fat, while I'm fast asleep even if it's at 50 BPM so that I can stay alive. I just look at it as an BONUS opportunity to supplement my diet and exercise programs.
    The thing is, it's not a bonus at all. If you go to bed on an empty stomach then your body will consume fat for fuel. Sure.

What you're missing is that the same thing would happen throughout the day as long as you're eating at a deficit. Your body will use the food you eat and also some of your fat.

If you prefer to stop eating at a certain time, there's nothing wrong with that. Just know that it's about personal preference, and it won't make you lose weight faster.

I guess my main point is there really is no difference of when you eat. But for me, I prefer that the calories that are burned while I'm sleeping are from by fat *kitten* vs. the food that's in my stomach. So, I consider it BONUS time. To each their own really and just offering a perspective on why some believe that going to bed on an empty stomach is a good thing.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I've spent WAY too much time on these forums today, but I've seen at least 7 people emphatically state that you shouldn't eat x number of hours before you go to bed (x being 2/3 hrs or a cutoff of 7/8pm which I'm assuming translates to 2/3/4 hrs before bed). I will eat a total of 1500 calories today. I'm eating about 650 of those now (it's 9pm where I am), and I'll probably have another 200-300 in my pj's in my bed in a couple of hours. I'll go to "bed" around 11.

This is my daily routine-except I'm eating dinner earlier than usual. I'm not terribly interested in changing my schedule (unless there is a compelling reason to do so)-I'm just curious why I "can't" successfully lose weight eating at night. Since I've seen it posted several times today-I'm hoping someone can chime in and let me know the physiological reasoning behind why eating at night is bad for me.
    It doesn't matter when you eat, it's the number of calories you eat. I eat every night and have lost 20lbs.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I just had my dinner, and it's 10:00 PM. This is how I've eaten all my life, and at my heaviest (when not pregnant or breastfeeding), I weighed 123 lbs.

Unless eating late creates problems for you - inability to sleep, heartburn, reflux, etc. - there is no reason to not.

ETA: I eat carbs too. Lots and lots of it. Just as with eating late at night, there is no physiological reason to eschew entire food groups unless you have issues (diabetes, celiac, etc.).
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    My belief is that if I go to bed on a completely empty stomach my body will consume calories, i.e. fat, while I'm fast asleep even if it's at 50 BPM so that I can stay alive. I just look at it as an BONUS opportunity to supplement my diet and exercise programs.
    The thing is, it's not a bonus at all. If you go to bed on an empty stomach then your body will consume fat for fuel. Sure.

What you're missing is that the same thing would happen throughout the day as long as you're eating at a deficit. Your body will use the food you eat and also some of your fat.

If you prefer to stop eating at a certain time, there's nothing wrong with that. Just know that it's about personal preference, and it won't make you lose weight faster.

I guess my main point is there really is no difference of when you eat. But for me, I prefer that the calories that are burned while I'm sleeping are from by fat *kitten* vs. the food that's in my stomach. So, I consider it BONUS time. To each there own really and just offering a perspective on why some believe that going to bed on an empty stomach is a good thing.

Given the same caloric intake, more *kitten*-calories burned at night just means you burned fewer *kitten*-calories during the day.
    The end result is the same.
  • RilantheFirebug
    RilantheFirebug Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I've lost close to 60lbs eating whenever I want, even if its 30 mins before bed. Its about what you eat, how much, and not going over your calorie goals for the day. Your body still burns calories while you sleep to keep your body going...it doesn't just shut down. Eat away!
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

Given the same caloric intake, more *kitten*-calories burned at night just means you burned fewer *kitten*-calories during the day.

Approx how many ounces off *kitten* fat can one expect to burn when burning *kitten* calories?
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options

i eat all times of the day and it hasnt hindered my weight loss. i've even had times where i've woken up in the middle asleep was HUNGRY. ran to the fridge and grabbed a handful of strawberries and apiece of cold chicken ate it and went back to sleep

Lol-I have done this too-but didn't feel the need to air that dirty laundry. But I am under the impression that my calorie burning aliens work 24/7/365. Maybe other people's calorie burning aliens come from another planet where they don't have such a rigorous work schedule? Now I'm just getting silly (even though this is the second thread in which I've mentioned my calorie burning aliens) I know there's no shortage of garbage posted as "advice" (I guess my calorie burning aliens fall under that umbrella) I really was curious behind the reasoning.
  • gypsykitchen
    Options
    I am so glad to have found this thread! I've always wondered why people tell you not to eat past dinnertime, but I've also always been a midnight snacker, and haven't been able to get the late-night cravings under control. I still snack late, I just snack healthier now (before-bed oranges). Thank you all for this information and explanations!
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options

Approx how many ounces off *kitten* fat can one expect to burn when burning *kitten* calories?

All *kitten* calories come from *kitten* fat. It's magik.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    But I am under the impression that my calorie burning aliens work 24/7/365. Maybe other people's calorie burning aliens come from another planet where they don't have such a rigorous work schedule?

Apparently, some people have diurnal calorie-burning aliens.

The insulin-fairie, on the other hand? That b!tch never sleeps!
  • Smiley1Q
    Smiley1Q Posts: 2
    Options
    I guess next time I will try to spell it out for people lol it sounded like he was being smart, but anywho! I always hear from doctors and online and whatnot that it isn't good to eat at night, but I don't think I've ever heard an actual explanation. Logically it makes sense that if you're sedentary at night you wouldn't burn them, but who knows!
    You burn quite a few calories just keeping your organs going, you know. Over 1400 a day for me.

Then there's the fact that if you don't burn all the calories while you're sleeping, you will continue to burn them the next day.

Logic.

again, I don't need the smart *kitten* attacks. I was trying to explain my thought process, which I never said was correct, by any means. I'm done with this post.

Ugh..thin skinned, this one.

No smart assery there either hun...but have a wonderful evening!

The "Logic." statement just wasn't necessary considering it was in response to my "logical" thinking, and yes, I'll be the first to admit I'm sensitive. So be it.

Well, I still hope you have a wonderful night :).

:flowerforyou:

lol right back atcha, thanks.

Dont mind me. I just wanted the reply chain to be really long.
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    I think it doesn't matter when you eat as long as you stay within your calorie limit. I try to be careful eating too close to bedtime only because I sometimes will get heartburn and/or have trouble sleeping. Whether you opt for the bigger breakfast or saving your calories to eat later at night I think is a matter of personal preference. Just my opinion.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz says that "eating at night makes you gain weight" is...a MYTH!! *whew* Glad that's cleared up. NEXT!! :laugh:
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Research says it doesn't matter when you eat your calories. As long as you eat fewer calories overall, you can eat them whenever.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I guess next time I will try to spell it out for people lol it sounded like he was being smart, but anywho! I always hear from doctors and online and whatnot that it isn't good to eat at night, but I don't think I've ever heard an actual explanation. Logically it makes sense that if you're sedentary at night you wouldn't burn them, but who knows!

My uncle is a doctor. He eats two meals a day - a gigantic breakfast at about 6AM, and a gigantic supper at about 10PM just before bed. He's now in his 70s, has done this most of his life, and doesn't judge other people for eating at different times than what he's found works for him. His advice is directed at eating too many calories, or the wrong kinds, or an unwillingness to be flexible and determine what your body handles best.

Me? I'm a snacker. It works for me. He kids me as much for my constant nibbling as I kid him for snarfing down 800-1000 calories at a go. I've lost weight. He's never been heavy. If I ate at his plan I'm sure I'd gain weight, and vice versa. Or maybe not, but I'm comfortable controling my hunger through constant snackery, he's comfortable getting enough to eat by forcing down two ginormous meals a day.

Some of us prefer a constant input of energy. Others seem to be able to tap into reserves more readily.

We're all unique little snowflakes. Isn't it special?