Needing some help

Options
I just started counting calories and working out at the gym every night of the week. I haven't worked out in years so I'm starting off at a slower pace than hoped for. I weigh 280 lbs and my goal weight is 160. I know I know i have a long ways to go. Although, I'm only eating about 1,000 calories a day and losing 400 a day at the gym. Is this healthy for me to be doing? I need some advice on what foods i should eat for breakfast lunch and dinner also light snack in between. I'm literally stressing myself over this weight so bad I don't even want to eat I just want to work out, but then i know i would die lol... my General Prac. told me to consume 1,200 calories a day and lose 1,200 or more a day working out but right now to me that seems so hard to do, I'm so out of shape... UGH.... someone please help, I have to do something

Replies

• JENNY7634
    JENNY7634 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! Im still pretty new to this too. You definately need to eat at least 1200 calories probably more with the workouts. What I am learning is too few calories will actually not help you lose weight because it confuses your system and your body will start storing food and it will really mess up your metabolism. I think you have to be realistic and accept that this is going to take time...if you do it right you will probably be more likely to stick with it and really keep the weight off!! Dont be so hard on yourself : )
    Feel free to add me if you want....we can help motivate one another!
  • kinghavok
    kinghavok Posts: 104
    Options
    I can not tell you what to eat how to work out or anything like that. All I can say is one step at a time, You have taken a huge step by starting to work out eat healthy and well joining this site. Good luck!
  • Misstaya07
    Options
    Hi,

I just started working out again too. I stopped working out for about 5 years because I gave birth. What I do is for breakfast I will eat 1 whole egg and 1 piece of toast and fruit and drink an orange juice. For snack I will eat a rice cake and drink some water. For lunch I will eat tuna on bread and drink some more water. For lunch snack I will have a few baby carrots and water. For dinner I will eat like a chicken breast and some veggies and drink iced-tea. I work out about 3 times a day and 3 times a week, but that's at home. When I go to the gym I take a cycling class and burn about 600 calories doing so. So 1,200 calories a day is not so hard with a cycling class, you would just need to take 2 classes. 1,200 calorie diet is recommended to stay alive, lol. I am on a 1,500 calorie diet and I have lost 9lbs. Hope this helps! Good luck! :)
  • yarndt52
    yarndt52 Posts: 2
    Options
    Everyone is different when it comes to calories needed.. Here is a good place to start by figuring out your Basal Metabolic Rate which you can actually do on the site! This gives you the calories that your body needs just for your daily activities sleeping, growing hair just bodily functions... So if its 1500 that means you can consume 1500 calories for the day and it would be just what you need to stay alive and breathe.. If you are working out and burning 300 calories a workout the you can consume 1800 without gaining weight... You need to work on creating a calorie deficit.. A deficit of -500 a day will let you lose 1 lb a week.. a 1 lb is made up of 3500 calories.. And its true the other way around... if you consume 3500 extra calories you will gain a lb... As far as a guide on what to eat google Michis Ladder.. Its a 5 tier food ladder.. Eat out of hte top 2 tiers and have a near perfect diet... I'm closing in on 100 lbs lost!! Trial and error but would definatly love to help you out!! Feel free to get a hold of me!! That goes for any one that is needing a little extra help!