What style of BBQ do you like?

Options
victoria4321
victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
I'm from NYC so we don't have "real BBQ" up here in the north I hear :cry: I even just learned that bbq and grilling are not the same thing and I realize I've probably never had real bbq.

So how do you bbq? What kind of sauces, rubs, or magic do you like on your meat? What's your favorite meat too?

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I make my own rib sauce, and I love smoked meats. I grew up in Tennessee, and we used to get pulled pork from guys with huge smokers towed by trucks on the side of the road. We'd buy it by the pound then put the sauce on it and chow down.

Your confusion may come from the fact that you CAN smoke barbecue on a charcoal grill, which is also how a lot of people do it.

People on the west side of Tennessee have a dry rub they like to put on their ribs. Also tasty.
  • carinnaj
    carinnaj Posts: 149
    Options
    pulled pork bbq sandwiches with the carolina mustard bbq sauce. yum.
  • 2getgeorge
    2getgeorge Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    bbq cook off @ madison square park starts 11am today.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    All of them. Depends on my mood.

Haven't had Carolina BBQ in awhile, so I'm leaning in that direction at the moment.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    bbq cook off @ madison square park starts 11am today.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: thanks!!
  • aggiesrar05
    aggiesrar05 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    NOTHING beats Texas BBQ... but then again I may be slightly biased on that one.

I like my bbq wood smoked with a spicy sauce!

It was actually quite entertaining... most of our bbq is beef. I went up to IL to visit family and I wanted some bbq and it was all pork. I was like WHA??? where is my brisket??? That was a total fail since at that time I didn't eat pork (and still don't for the most part)
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I like pulled pork with vinegar based bbq sauces! My husband's mom has a Big Green Egg and you can make slow cooked, smoked meats in it. Its expensive, but soooo worth it. I used to live in OK and loved the BBQ, but now that I am back in NH, I have to make my own delicious bbq!
  • BostonMatt
    BostonMatt Posts: 258
    Options
    Texas style for this northern boy.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    My parents have a smoker in our backyard, so I love just going home and chowing down at their house. So parents' style? Haha. But I always put on the sweet and (something or other) famous dave's sauce. I use that sauce all the time for bbq chicken quesadillas, etc, too.
  • summer_tyme
    summer_tyme Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    No BBQ like Memphis BBQ...dry rubbed pork smoked with different choices of wood then slathered with a vinegar based sauce. Probably why I had to join MFP!! Lol!
  • losingthehealthyway
    Options
    Haha I'm from California, so the most authentic BBQ I'll probably find here is Korean. Delicious! :tongue:
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I LOVE IT ALL !

It's slim pickings here in lower NY but there are a few places around ..... I make sure I get to the gym first, then share a few items with my husband & eat light the rest of the day ......

Just recently my husband bought a smoker ...... he's done pork ribs, beef ribs, and brisket so far ..... we might try smoking chicken or turkey next with the dry rub ......

So, I love it all ...... as long as I don't have to make it :drinker:
  • RipperSB
    RipperSB Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    It's all good, I agree. Got to travel all across the States (airshows) and had Texas BBQ, Kansas City BBQ, Memphis BBQ and even Georgia BBQ and I did not have a bad meal anywhere.
  • sizesixorbust
    sizesixorbust Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    bbq only = pulled pork! i get so thrown off when i go to my relatives in new jersey and they say "tonight we're having barbecue" and it's hamburgers haha
    my favorite is anything drenched in vinegar, i guess i'm a carolina girl :)
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    we cook on a charcoal grill and use bbq sauce .. we are to lazy to make our own rubs, sauces etc
    though my husband used to make the bbq sauce for a bbq joint in P'cola (they are had damn awesome bbq)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Texas and Memphis.Love dry rubs and wet mops!
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Hamburgers, hotdogs, and brats.... all cooked over a open flame... sauces are katchup, and mustard... dry rub, salt and pepper.... magic, a prayer that it will not rain