I passed out last night.

Options
LivyJo
LivyJo Posts: 355 Member
This is what happened. I didn't eat a real "dinner". I had a very beefy sandwich for lunch and was snacking on trail mix and fruit in the evening. Just wasn't super hungry. My neighbors across the street were having a party, so I went over to say hello. I was over there about 2 hours, and had one glass of sangria during that time. I had just refilled my glass, but didn't get to drink it.

i was talking to my neighbor out in the driveway, and all of a sudden I started to feel very strange. I told my neighbor, "I am feeling like I could pass out right now." I thought i put my head between my knees, but next thing I remember, I am laying on the concrete asking what happened.

I went down like a rock. Immediatly after, I ran to the street and threw up the sangria.

Now, obviously I was not drunk. I was not starving myself prior. I had been feeling really weak all day, mainly from stress from work I think. But nothing too concerning. I had laser hair removal done on Weds. I have been working out a lot prior to weds, but I hadn't worked out since Weds AM(doctors orders).

Just trying to get all the facts out there.

What do you think happened? I have not passed out since high school, when I was singing in the choir one hot day. I NEVER drink to pass out. Never have blacked out from alcohol. No history of ceizures or anything like that. :huh:

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Are you pregnant?

Could be that your body just didn't want the Sangria- I would call your doc and just get a workup to be sure. Better safe than sorry. :flowerforyou:

No more concrete diving ok?
  • LivyJo
    Options
    Are you pregnant?

Could be that your body just didn't want the Sangria- I would call your doc and just get a workup to be sure. Better safe than sorry. :flowerforyou:

Pretty sure I am not, I have an IUD and am on birth control right now... Double protection! I though the same thing tho...for a fleeting moment.

I'll try not to!
  • LivyJo
    Options
    Are you pregnant?

Pretty sure I am not, I have an IUD and am on birth control right now... Double protection! I though the same thing tho...for a fleeting moment.

I'll try not to!
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I'm sorry that happened! Strangely, I have had similar experiences. One in college in the middle of class (and no, I was not hungover or anything like that), and one in Hollywood while on vacation with my family. Both times I felt very strange for a very short period of time right before hand then BOOM I hit the ground.

I went to 2 different doctors for this, thinking I had to get an answer because if it even happened while I'm going 70 mph down the highway I could easily die. They both said not to worry about it :huh: :noway: So I went to 3 more doctors- basically the same thing. I wanted them to do blood work, etc. and find out what's wrong, but they said that your body is constantly doing different things and that it's nothing to be super concerned about. I wasn't content with that answer, so I went to another doctor and he had me wear a heart monitor for 24 hours and found nothing out of the ordinary. I'm 24 now and it hasn't happened in 7 or 8 years so I've pretty much stopped worrying about it. I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you. My friend had a similar experience and her doctor told her it's more common when a woman has her TOM- don't know if that's the case for you or not.

Good luck, and I hope you're feeling better today. Maybe you should schedule an appointment with your doctor and hopefully you'll have better luck than I did :flowerforyou:
  • fitzfour
    fitzfour Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I had episodes like this a lot when I was younger, and a couple while working out as an adult. What I have found out, is that my blood sugar has a tendency to dip quickly. I usually have problems when I eat or drink something sugary and then exert myself. It could be something similar for you, but you didn't have to exert yourself to get there. The sangria may have had enough sugar to give you a rush and then a crash. Not sure though, it probably was too short of a time period for that to occur. I'd get in to your doctor and have your blood sugar level checked to make sure.
  • bettersusan
    bettersusan Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Maybe you just got a "bug" or perhaps someone put something in your drink??
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    Was it hot out?
    I've passed out like this before too, I was standing in a prison cell with like 20 other people (we were doing a tour, I swear :tongue: ) And I was still wearing my winter jacket and a sweater. All of a sudden I felt kinda funny, then next thing you know I'm on the floor and everyone's panicking.

I guess it's pretty common to pass out from the heat/long time standing combo? Maybe that was it?
  • LivyJo
    Options
    The whole thing is really baffling to me. I will go have it checked out w/ my dr. I dont think anyone would have put anything in my drink, and I did feel fine immediatly after I threw up. It wasn't hot at all, it was nice and breezy.
  • LivyJo
    Options
    I had been standing for a while though. and immediatly after, i got all sweaty and hot. right before i threw up.
  • killickj
    Options
    You need to go to the doctor's - not an online chatroom! These people are not medically qualified, it's as simple as that.
  • llywyn
    llywyn Posts: 315
    Options
    I would recommend keeping an eye on your blood sugar. Going from starving to a sugary sweet overload like a mixed drink would cause enough of a spike to do just that. Quick and cheep idea is the over the counter options form grocery/drug stores. You may also want to consider adding a fasting oral glucose test to your next checkup if you get anywhere near this again.

Horchata used to do the same thing to me when I'd drink it for breakfast :( It was the only way I learned I was borderline diabetic.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I've had this happen before. I was slumped over the kitchen stove talking and eating. I started feeling funny and decided to walk to the table and sit down and bam out like a light. My doctor told me there was really no way to tell what happened unless you go to the hospital right after.

Just check with your doctor to make sure. It is rather frightening though.:flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I had been standing for a while though. and immediatly after, i got all sweaty and hot. right before i threw up.

Classic pass out signs!! My body has shut down like that before. I am very careful to eat every 3 hours or so. I break up my meals to do so. If I have a sandwich for lunch I eat 1/2 at 12 and the other 1/2 at 3.....this keeps my blood sugar level......at least that is what the doctor says!

Your body may have needed fuel........mine did. I was eating a lot of protien and not much carbohydrates. Doc told me to even things out and it never happened again. Whew.

Hope you feel better!:flowerforyou:
  • RecliningFigure
    RecliningFigure Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I use to pass out all the time when I drank an alcoholic beverage. It had to do with being allergic to certain kinds of alcohol (it got worse when I was in a closed space with lots of people, I think it had to do with less oxygen). I passed out on half a Corona once. It had nothing to do with not being full, and it had nothing to do with being drunk. You may want to check out your allergies with a doctor.
  • LivyJo
    Options
    You need to go to the doctor's - not an online chatroom! These people are not medically qualified, it's as simple as that.

You can learn a lot from other people's experiences. I'm headed to the Dr's at the end of september and will talk to her then about it. But I have a feeling she will tell me she has no idea. I just had a blood test a month ago and it came back normal. Nothing wrong with hearing if this has hapened to others. If it was happening all the time, I would head straight to the drs. Since this is the first time its happened, i think its fine to wait and see if it happens again.
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    You can find some info here; also when it can be a more serious problem:

http://www.healthlinkbc.ca/kbase/topic/special/tb1772/sec1.htm
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I have felt like this too. I will get head-rushes when I stand, I feel weak and somewhat dizzy, and I have heart palpitaions; I wonder if it has something to do with my blood sugar. Thankfully, I have never hit the ground! Hope you find out what caused it. :flowerforyou:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options

I have to agree with this advice. Passing out is in NO WAY :noway: normal. It can happen for many different reasons, including serious health issues. There are 1882 causes of syncope (passing out) including drinking alcohol, heatstroke, tachycardia, etc.etc.etc......

It is always best to be safe than sorry, god forbid next time you are behind the wheel of your car and you hurt someone else or you are alone and hit your head.
  • SusieSonshine
    SusieSonshine Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    As others have said, there are various reasons for this, one of which is a low heart rate. I wouldn't wait to go in to see the doc. Better safe than sorry!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I have passed out before. My problem is low blood pressure. I did talk to my Dr. about it and he said not to watch my salt intake. I am normally 102/62 or lower. I'm usually fine unless I go from sitting or bending to standing really quickly (I get that *head rush* and then almost pass out).

Definitely talk to your Dr.!!