Working like a dog and not losing

Options
Hi all, not sure what I'm doing wrong or not enough. Last week I worked out 4X and counted my calories - was under or just at 6 out of the 7 days. Same thing for this week. Last week didn't lose anything, this week gained 2 ounces. I don't get it. Maybe stop the weights for a while and just concentrate on cardio? Suggestions very much welcomed - thx!

Replies

• golferd
    golferd Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Adjust, adjust, adjust. Also review your settings and make everything public.
  • crazy8ts
    crazy8ts Posts: 360
    Options
    As hard as it can be, don't use the scale to judge your progress. Work consistently... keep an eye on your intake... and give it a couple of weeks. Also, make sure you're eating enough... coming in under calories isn't the worst thing, but don't starve yourself in the process... if you're using MFP's calorie counter, then the amount of calories recommended is to maintain your GOAL weight, not your current... so dipping too far below could stall your weightloss...
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Hi all, not sure what I'm doing wrong or not enough. Last week I worked out 4X and counted my calories - was under or just at 6 out of the 7 days. Same thing for this week. Last week didn't lose anything, this week gained 2 ounces. I don't get it. Maybe stop the weights for a while and just concentrate on cardio? Suggestions very much welcomed - thx!
    Chances are you aren't eating enough. Are you eating you MFP calories plus your calories burned exercising? You should be.
  • samtrois
    samtrois Posts: 27
    Options
    Didn't mention if your eating back your exercise calories back or not. also diary not open so this is total speculation, but my guess would be your overestimating your exercise. and possibly being a bit generous, that is, low guesstimates of the foods you eat.

I believe it is simple mathematics, calories in vs calories burnt. I weigh all my food, and have stuck to my calories recommended by MFP for nearly 6 months. and have averaged almost exactly 1.5 lb a week like I should be.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Gained 2 ounces?

Do they make scales that accurate? I don't know how frequently you're weighing yourself bu a 2z fluctuation could be the glass of water you drank half an hour before weighting yourself. There's a concept in accounting called materiality, in a nutshell it means don't sweat the small stuff.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Gained 2 ounces?

Do they make scales that accurate? I don't know how frequently you're weighing yourself bu a 2z fluctuation could be the glass of water you drank half an hour before weighting yourself. There's a concept in accounting called materiality, in a nutshell it means don't sweat the small stuff.

What Brian said! You can't make a judgement based on one week and 2 oz should not even be measureable. You weight can fluctuate up or down based on fluid by a couple of pounds. Weight loss is not a linear experience. There are hormonal factors, factors like the increase in water and glycogen when you lift. Take base line measurements, get an accurate body fat assesment and keep doing what you are doing for 2 months. Then take measurements and get an accurate body fat assesment again. If you live or die by the scale, you are going to put yourself through the ringer! You'll go up and down. You want a downward trend overall but you shouldn't even be slightly concerned with what happens in the course of 1 week!

PS: Tried to look at you dairy to see what your nutrition looked like but it is not open for viewing.
  • iroze
    iroze Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. Been here 6 months and only lost 16 pounds, and gained a pound since yesterday, when I decided to try eating all my calories, including the ones i'd burned. Different things work for different people. My only advice would be to eat smart and be patient. It will happen, I know it will.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    You were "under or just at" what calories? How big is your deficit per day?

If you're new to working out like a dog, weight loss will usually not happen while your muscles are doing a little changing of their own. Ignore the scale and keep doing what you're doing. It takes months, I find.
  • forsythwendy1
    forsythwendy1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate your time and feedback. I'm generally NOT eating back the calories burned. Maybe that's my deal. I'll try to open my diary .... thanks again!
  • melissachipman123
    Options
    I am no expert but I peeked at your diary and it looks like your eating alot of processed foods. Try to have fresh veggies or a big salad or fruit with every meal. How are you measuring your calories burned? Mfp really over estimates calories burned you need a heart rate monitor to get real numbers. You can friend me if you want some more friends.
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options

These might help:

When I was forced to concentrate on the quality of my meals versus exercising like a beast:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/bjohs/view/down-30-pounds-response-to-questions-114202

When I fluctuate in weight (as a female):
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/bjohs/view/small-weight-gain-don-t-panic-127354
  • shbretired
    shbretired Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Muscle is heavier than fat. You're building muscle ☺
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I just wrote this under another topic similar to this one and copied to here as well...

Here is an Awesome site to give you your numbers to go by - MFP calculates a little differently (lower than average):

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

TDEE = The most calories you should eat and stay at the same weight (maintain)

BMR = Least amount of calories that you should ever eat b/c these are the calories you need just to breathe and function

-15% = Cut = The equation that you should most likely use to get your number of calories to eat per day (You eat this amount of calories...Don't eat extra calories from exercise unless you NET under your BMR.

NET = Calories eaten - Calories burned (You can see this number on your News Feed page)

Confusing I know but you will remember it all once you get the hang of it....

I hope this helps you out!! :)
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Definitely need more veggies, less crackers, chips and such. It is not just the calories but where they come from. Also give your body time to adjust, underestimate what you burn, overestimate what you eat.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Don't stop the weights. I know lifting helped me lose the extra weight I had trouble losing otherwise.

Also, are you eating enough? Remember, MFP builds in your deficit already, meaning if you do a long, intense workout, you're going to need to replenish some of those extra calories.
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Also add Sodium and Sugar to your nutrients tracked in your food diary. The answer will most likely be plain as day. Good luck!
  • tdm2592
    tdm2592 Posts: 30
    Options
    I'd suggest you mix in some weight training with the cardio. Im not sure that the slow pace walking that you do is elevating your heartrate enough to burn the calories that you are logging. Ive been lifting weights three days a week and doing interval training cardio three days with a day of rest.

Check into HIIT (high intensity interval training) to jump start your weight loss...
  • kat5556
    kat5556 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    You're sodium is really high some days and that can cause you to retain water. Try some fruit and veggies for snacks and less processed food and I'll bet you'll see a difference in no time at all.
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Muscle is heavier than fat. You're building muscle ☺
    [/quOne pound of muscle weighs the same as one pound of fat but it is smaller and more tonedote]
  • forsythwendy1
    forsythwendy1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I use the counters on the machines at the gym - I think MFP is way over too.