Snacking.

Options
Mainly because i work in an office its so tempting to eat crisp/chocolate etc any tips for healthier snacking which is practical.

Replies

• lcroftraider31
    Options
    I always find it filling to eat nuts and fruit together and finish it with water. I like roasted and salted almonds (1/4 cup or 30 grams) and strawberries (1 cup, halves) and blueberries (1/2 cup).
  • LooseWheel
    LooseWheel Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Nuts are great for omega 3's which are great for your brain and memory linking abilities. The right serving size of course. Fruit can be hard to get 'into' of course. If you haven't been used to it, getting it as a regular for the lunch box aint that easy. Started having 'an apple a day' when I gave up cola. Couldn't give up the coffee's at the same time, that failed after a week of headaches. I have a couple of coffee's a day and have heard that is ok for the metabolism. There was no benefit to drinking empty cals with the cola and fizzy drinks. Gotta find foods that are high in fibre as these can fill you up for longer. Chewing gum can also be a distraction until the lunch break comes around. three meals a day and two snacks should get your intake spread out so your metabolism is sorted out in a more level manner, rather than the typical 3 meals a day where we get a 'high' with energy and then a huge 'crash' from it running out so soon.

Best way to avoid and succeed over a sugar craving, or any kind of craving including smoking, can be tensing your muscles.

Hold your hands together with fingers intwind and squeeze them for a few seconds. Do this all over your body, legs, stomach, arms, hands and face. This few seconds of tensing and releasing can be enough to get you through a sugar craving, a cigarette craving or any kind of highly distractive craving you come across. Give it a go.

Dont forget to use this MFP site to its max. Truly write down your foods and movements and be honest with yourself. This is for you foremost. Having to account for your actions can quite often make you more likely to succeed.

And in this last kick *kitten* moment of your weight loss journey, you will do so with a smile on your face right! You are setting out to do it mate. Just bloody do it.

Because NIKE said so ha ha ha!

cheers
    Lou
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Mainly because i work in an office its so tempting to eat crisp/chocolate etc any tips for healthier snacking which is practical.
    This
    I do not know if it is practical in a office but my favorite protein snack is granny smith apple with peanut butter. Also Celery with peanut butter. :)
  • LooseWheel
    LooseWheel Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    You have started my thought processors off well. About to start a new job which will mainly be in an office and I do know from previous experience how bad my weight control gets in this situation. Winter (BAD) and office job (BAD) for motivation.

We gotta power through this mate. Gloves on, going out swinging and gotta wake up from the start telling ourselves we just gotta bloody well do it if we want to lose the last few pounds/kgs. Mine used to bike riding and got the indoor spin bike, but i really dont like it at all. Prior to winter, I used to get on the mountain bike for up to 2 hours, so i know its possible. Just gotta find something as interesting and motivating for the duration of winter.

Got tennis starting up again next week. Thats just one day though. Looking into the rest of the weeks activities that will stick past the 'All too typical fail date of 21 days'. Thats what the average record is for people sticking with new fitness routines. The average fail date of 21 days b4 completely giving up.

Lets set ourselves a new month goal. Get past that 21 day mark and kick our backsides along the way to get there. God knows I need it man!!

cheers. Hey thanks for the newly found motivation. How odd to go out trying to give someone else a little support and motivation to suddenly find focus on my own areas of lacking in fitness stamina huh!

Cheers Mate
    Lou
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite portable snacks is a half an apple and a piece of cheese - either a string cheese stick or one of the Baby Bell mini rounds. Toss the sliced apple into a ziplock, the cheese is already wrapped, and it's good to go. Kinda gives me the salty & sweet combo and some crunch, but good and healthy.
  • tdm2592
    tdm2592 Posts: 30
    Options
    I've found that I can control snacks better if I have a scheduled time during the work day for it. I'll stock up on the stuff (lite yogurt) or 100 calorie portions of stuff that I like. If snacks are available but they aren't part of my plan then it is easier for me to abstain.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Nuts ( pistachio's)