How do you just have ONE??

Options

Replies

• fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Usually, once I get a taste, I'm satisfied. It is hard sometimes but ice cream isn't my thing. Now, if it's a cookie and the serving size is only one...I don't even bother...unless its a big cookie :happy:
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    When I actually allow myself to go in to get something like ice-cream, I psych myself up telling myself, the extra calories aren't worth it, the extra sugar isn't worth it, the extra saturated fat isn't worth it...I don't want to be working it off the rest of the day, etc.

And then I get the smallest size telling myself, 'I deserve a little treat, all I really need is a taste to savor and then I can work it off. I can go back and get it whenever I really want to go out of my way for it.'

Then I book it out of there before I take the first bite because if I stick around after eating the smallest size, I will be tempted to get back in line and get more! lol
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I look at the nutrition info before I go. If I want to choose the dairy queen small or large I remind myself that I will have to work out that much harder. I am lazy and don't want to work out any longer than I have to. This reminder usually works.

Great idea! Also - eat slowly and look around inside the DQ at the people. Do you want to look like (some) of them???

^^:grumble: well that is hurtful...I'll just finish my double cheeseburger, jumbo fries , chocolate shake and large diet coke and leave
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm extremely cheap, so thinking of calories like money helps. Knowing how long I have to work (exercise) to earn (burn) enough to afford something... is a 500 calorie dessert worth a 5 mile run? (Sometimes it is!)

Also, finding delicious substitutes helps. I've been subbing protein bars for candy bars. Still get my chocolate fix, but instead of 200 pretty much empty calories, I'm having 200 calories and about 15g of protein.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    My trick for chocolate is to buy the one bit size (dark and good quality of course). Then let the ONE piece melt slowly in my mouth to savor the flavor. If DH wants to share his dark hershey bar, I take only one square and do the same.
  • peacefulsong
    peacefulsong Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Before I eat it, I log it, and then I take a look at my end-of-day totals. If I like what I see, I'll have the treat. If it makes my totals awful, I'm more likely to feel good about NOT indulging. :)

I do this a lot. If I'm tempted to get something I'll log it just to see how it will likely affect my numbers for the day. Quite often that will kill that craving dead, though I've noticed that this works mostly if something is 300 calories or more. If it's under that, somehow psychologically I don't see that as too bad. More than that and I think to myself "WHOA, is it really worth that much more exercise? You know how numb your butt gets if you stay on that bike more than 40 minutes or so." :laugh:
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I look at the calories of whatever it is. If it's a high amount I think about the amount of exercise I'll have to do to make the day work and the other foods I could have instead. That usually makes me decide against it.

I don't dey myself anything so instead I have small amounts. I'll have some of hubby's blizzard from DQ for example. I'll get a small cone instead. Little things like that.
  • nicholawelch
    nicholawelch Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If it is something like doughnuts now i just buy one instead of a box with other things like chocolate for me a little id enough anyway and for anything elase i tend to share with the hubby or kids for example on holiday we had fish and chips so shared mine with my son. I did weigh my portion first only so i could log it but it was enough for us both and i felt satisfied with the amount that I ate. I did finf it all hard in the beginning but now find it a lot easier.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    At restaurants, I decide ahead of time what I'm going to have. I might decide in the morning that I'm going to have a regular size ice cream that evening and then make slight modifications to my meals throughout the day to better fit in into my calorie allowance. I try to be the first one to order so that my choice isn't influenced (negatively) by what the others are getting. I try to eat slowly to make it last, and enjoy each bite.

At home, it's harder for me. We have a candy bowl on a high shelf (I have to jump onto the counter to reach it), and sometimes I make the candy harder to get to by, say, triple-bagging it, or wrapping multiple rubber bands around the bags. Also, a photograph of myself on the cupboard door can be helpful--either an unflattering "before" picture to remind me where I don't want to go again, or one from when I was happier with my size to remind me where I'm trying to go.

It's hard, though!
  • rhndsu
    rhndsu Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I'm a habitual eater in the sense that I'll have something, say a string cheese, then when I get up to throw the wrapper away, I'm like "That tasted really good... maybe just one more..." Then I end up eating like 4! So frustrating! Happens with good food, bad food, ice cream, popsicles EVERYTHING! So frustrating!
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    If you cannot stop after you have started don't start.
  • MNguerita
    MNguerita Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I do a combination of things...I try to avoid these things for he most part, but that doesn't always work. I will break down and buy bags of m&m's etc, but for some reason I don't feel the need to et them...I think just having them there is good enough, and I won't open them or grab any for myself. If my husband or daughter have some and the urge hits, turn I will take one or two from them as they know I am working on my weight and will not let me overindulge. And with a lot of foods in general, if I have a craving, I don't deny it, but if it is something I know will not reflect well in my log, I will only have half, and save the rest for a different meal/day. And though I hate to waste food, I have also finally gotten to the point where I will not eat just to finish a meal, if someone wants to finish it, great, if not then I just let it go, it is not worth losing my battle with weight just to finish what is on my plate.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I just ask myself "If I eat one, is it worth the anxiety to resist having another?" If not, I don't have one. Think of a good substitute that will satisfy you and go that way. I have given up a few things which have been disastrous when trying to limit them. Once you get over the initial feeling cheated mode, you don't really miss them.
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I just order a small of whatever you're craving. If you compare it to a medium or any other size, you realize that when you finish the small you're just as satisfied. Usually when people go out for ice cream it's not because they're hungry, it's because they crave it, so generally a smaller amount will still satisfy the craving.
  • vicky1804
    vicky1804 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Iv just realized that by looking at the calorie content of things they just are not worth eating/drinking.
    Instance - The new mocha frappachino cookie crumble Starbucks do. I would have loved to try it and they did then 1/2 price for 10 days but when I checked the calorie's 300-400 it just wasn't worth it! Knowing how much extra exercise id have to do for it.
    Iv even changed my favorite drink from a regular mocha/normal milk with cream to a small skinny latte with sugar free hazel syrup.

If you want something by all means have it but chose a size smaller than you would usually, till you get to the smallest size.
  • surromom2010
    surromom2010 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    you could always have someone else order for you that way you won't be tempted to get the larger one at the ordering station!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Alot of the time I put myself off sweet things just by thinking about what poor quality they are, how long they've sat around for and that's enough to make me not want it.

I worked for a chocolate company many years ago and when I went to visit the factory and saw how far in advance they make chocolate and it's shelf life, the chocolate didn't seem as appetitising anymore.

I prefer to have something freshly made or something that has quality ingredients in it.
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    My new favourite quote, it applies to pretty much everything "Don't give up what you want most, for what you want now."
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    A large won't taste any different than a small, you don't *need* all that in you if you're just craving the taste.

never thought of it like that before, thank you. I will def keep this in mind!
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    A mini size tastes exactly the same as the bigger one.