Food Diary Opinions, Please!

Options
Hey everybody! I was hoping some of you could help me out and take a look at my food diary. I know the calories seem low some days but I am usually pretty satisfied and feel pretty good (not hungry and far from feeling weak).

I am within striking distance of my goal weight (185) and I want to be able to maintain once I get there and not blow back up to where I started (218). Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Oh, and for what its worth, I've been running and doing some resistance training at approximately 400 cals/day. Which of course I will continue at my goal weight.

Thanks!

Replies

• wrecktechno
    wrecktechno Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Where are your vegies? You seem to skip breakfast a fair bit. Also, (sorry if this is blunt, Im getting tired), you seem to have a 'cheat' food almost every day. A beer or whipped cream or cake or whatever. Perhaps you could rein this back a little and keep the cheat foods to one or two days a week.
    Also I think you could eat a bit cleaner. A lot of what you eat appears to be store bought or from a packet. Perhaps you could eat a steak with a side salad or steamed vegies for dinner. Or a grilled chicken breast with vegies. Whilst your calories are pretty low, the calories you've eaten aren't from the best foods. Hope this helps.
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I would think that adding some healthy snack to your day will help you maintain. String Cheese, fruit, carrots, etc. You will be able to change your settings to "maintain current weight", and you will know what your calorie intake should be.

Your diary looks similar to mine. Replace food with the healthier, lower calorie option. Continue to eat clean and good calories, and would will rock it! Congrats on your weight loss!
  • julielynnbush
    julielynnbush Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    What works good for me is to have a serving of protein and carbs at each meal/snack. I count my fruit as a low carb. Sometimes I will have 2 servings of protein for a snack, but I try not to do just 2 servings of carbs at once without a protein. It helps balance things out a bit. You can look at my diary if that helps. Good luck!:smile:
  • poodlelaise
    poodlelaise Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I think your diary and choices look great. Since you are heading for maintenance, you need to keep making the kind of choices you can stick with for life. So I disagree with some of the comments to get rid of the occaisional treats, that is not a winning strategy for the rest of your life.

My only suggestion is to try to eat breakfast everyday, and add a couple of healthy snacks along the way to get closer to your calorie goals. In order to succeed at maintenance you need to begin the habits that will keep you at a stable weight.
  • TheArmadillo
    TheArmadillo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    1) your calories are very low - often under 1000 a day. That isn't sustainable in the long term.

2) you eat very little fruit and veg - here in UK we are told 5 portions a day minimum.

I would make sure you eat 3 meals a day and then add snacks and use those to boost your. Snacks can be a homemade fruit salad, or veg crudites (carrots/pepper/cucumber, or peanut butter or soft cheese & cucumber on oatcakes. My favourites are either a handful of baby tomatoes and a hard boiled egg, 3 brazil nuts and a banana, or fruit salad with strawberries, melon, kiwi fruit and grapes. I would also start adding a side salad or veg to both your lunch and evening meal.
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    Unlike the other writers I see veggies and fruits on your diary. I really like your diary. I kind of eat just like you, feel healthy and lose weight. Keep it up.....
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing what you have been - it's working for you.
  • Susan923
    Susan923 Posts: 61
    Options
    Check out the forum "Eat More To Weigh Less". Take a few hours to just research it and learn all about it. It will change your life forever!!
    Add me as a friend if you would like. I am always available for help or advice. Good Luck!
  • wrecktechno
    wrecktechno Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Unlike the other writers I see veggies and fruits on your diary. I really like your diary. I kind of eat just like you, feel healthy and lose weight. Keep it up.....

Well, in the past week he had 2 days with no vegies and the other days with very limited amounts. Half a cup of vegies wouldn't even qualify as a serve would it? Like TheArmadillo in the UK, here in Australia we are advised to have 5 serves of vegies and 2 serves of fruit EVERY day.

In my opinion, he adds a LOT of calories through dressings, beer and cheat things rather than through wholegrain cereals, fruits and vegetables or quality proteins like chicken, avocado, tuna and nuts.