On low-carb diet, advice on upping carbs for heavy workouts?

Options
2»

Replies

• Geminieve24
    Geminieve24 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Grapefruit is great...low-carb protein bars...a protein drink...just to list off a few things...good luck!
  • banksave
    banksave Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    carbs = bad
    Protein and fats = good

my opinion = :smile:

Just saying :)
  • peasantgirly
    peasantgirly Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    1 hour before your work out, eat carb < 50gr. The amount of carb is depend on how hard you will work out.
    It may kick you out of your keto stage but you body will burn off the carb and you will come back in keto stage after the work out.
    In general, once you are in keto stage, if you eat less 100g of carb a day, you will still in keto stage
    tho your "pee" stick won't show it.

if you do heavy workouts almost every day, check out CKD and TKD diet.. it will how you how to do low carb with med/hi intensity work out daily.
    Thank you!! I will definitely check out those diets you mentioned.

First let me say congrats on adopting this lifestyle!!! Even with all the naysayers... I know I'm in love with low carb... As far as upping the carbs for exercise... I'd say go for it if you want just stag. Under 50 total for the day that's approximately the amount you need to stay in ketosis...going from 20-30 is not a big deal... I'm in maintenance now and my carbs range from 25-50 depending on how much gum I chew that day!!!! Lol congrats on your success so far and please don't let the carb eaters freak you out!!!
    Nah, they don't freak me out. I know what works me for. I wish they wouldn't criticise my choices when I don't criticise theirs. I recognize that one way of eating/weight loss does not work for everybody and I respect their right to eat what they want. I just ask for the same respect. I don't go in their threads and tell them to eat less carbs.

As far as how many carbs I can safely eat, the reason I was so concerned is because anything much more than 20 kicks me out. I am highly sensitive to carbs. I know one poster said anything under 100 will keep you in ketosis even if the Ketostix doesn't show it, and I won't argue the point because I have no idea. What I do know is that anything over 25 or so and my weight loss STOPS cold, so I have to be vigilant.

Grapefruit is great...low-carb protein bars...a protein drink...just to list off a few things...good luck!
    You know, I just realized the other day how low in net carbs grapefruit is, like 3 net carbs for a whole grapefruit! I'll try to remember that for the next hike.

Shoot, I don't know what I was worried about. Even with the berries I'm still only at 21 net for the day. But still, it's good to know. It was something I've been wondering about.

Off to research CKD and TKD diets...

Thanks for all the help guys!!

BTW, any lowcarbers out there feel free to add me!!
  • JCWANNABE
    JCWANNABE Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I hope you have a great hike tomorrow! I've lost over 100 pounds doing low carb (meaning 20 ish carbs a day) in the past and was a total gym rat. I had so much energy eating low carb. As soon as I stopped low carbing I ate the same amount of calories but gained it all back (new hubby did not think low carb was healthy).

In all my going to the gym I never needed any extra carbs. I'm totally with you! You don't "need" the carbs to go on your hike. You might be able to eat an extra ten or so and not be kicked out of ketosis, emphasis on the MIGHT. But, if you don't eat the extra carbs and you go and get all that exercise you will probably see a drop of a pound or more on the scale come Monday. So just kind of weigh your pro's and con's. I LOVE strawberries and totally eat a few when ever I get the chance. They are pretty low carb if you don't end up face planting in the bowl and eating too many. Mmmm. Now I want some cut up strawberries with whole cream drizzled on top. High fat low carb, just the way I like it! A beautiful recipe for weight loss the healthy way!

Oh, and just for the record: I only started exercising again a few days ago. But in the last 7 1/2 weeks I have been scarfing on tons of butter, cheese, red meat, heavy whole cream, and bunches of other low carb yummies. And in that time I have lost 24.6 pounds. That's a lot of weight to lose eating tons, never being hungery, and not exercising. And yes, I am just being kind of a putz to the rabid anti-low carb people who have never tried it but seem to have a lot to say against it ; ).

Oh yeah, the hike! I like to pack lots of things like nuts and beef sticks. Smoked almonds are the best! And they are only 2 carbs an ounce.
  • peasantgirly
    peasantgirly Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I hope you have a great hike tomorrow! I've lost over 100 pounds doing low carb (meaning 20 ish carbs a day) in the past and was a total gym rat. I had so much energy eating low carb. As soon as I stopped low carbing I ate the same amount of calories but gained it all back (new hubby did not think low carb was healthy).

In all my going to the gym I never needed any extra carbs. I'm totally with you! You don't "need" the carbs to go on your hike. You might be able to eat an extra ten or so and not be kicked out of ketosis, emphasis on the MIGHT. But, if you don't eat the extra carbs and you go and get all that exercise you will probably see a drop of a pound or more on the scale come Monday. So just kind of weigh your pro's and con's. I LOVE strawberries and totally eat a few when ever I get the chance. They are pretty low carb if you don't end up face planting in the bowl and eating too many. Mmmm. Now I want some cut up strawberries with whole cream drizzled on top. High fat low carb, just the way I like it! A beautiful recipe for weight loss the healthy way!

Oh, and just for the record: I only started exercising again a few days ago. But in the last 7 1/2 weeks I have been scarfing on tons of butter, cheese, red meat, heavy whole cream, and bunches of other low carb yummies. And in that time I have lost 24.6 pounds. That's a lot of weight to lose eating tons, never being hungery, and not exercising. And yes, I am just being kind of a putz to the rabid anti-low carb people who have never tried it but seem to have a lot to say against it ; ).

Oh yeah, the hike! I like to pack lots of things like nuts and beef sticks. Smoked almonds are the best! And they are only 2 carbs an ounce.

OMG, smoked almonds! If you look at my diary you'll see how much I love smoked almonds, lol. Not so much lately cuz my stash ran out (stocked up when they were BOGO, waiting for the next sale now). But yeah, smoked almonds, mmmmm...

Ask your hubby if being 100 pounds overweight is healthy!: Who is he to tell you what you're allowed to eat? Don't let people control you. Only YOU know what's best for YOU. ohwell:

The hike was actually yesterday and it was great! It was nice to be able to eat strawberries without worrying. Makes me wanna hike more :laugh:
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I will do that, the day I find a sub 10 hours Kona Ironman finisher eating less than 20g of carbs per day. "Slim couch potatoes" might do well with that, but if burning 1.5k calories is your "easy" day, no way this will turn out fine :p
    No idea what those words mean, but http://eatlikeaswede.wordpress.com/2011/05/14/interview-ultraman-world-champion-swedish-athlete-jonas-colting-eats-lchf/ may be your kind of guy