Lost most of my weight, But not Body Fat %! WTH????

Options
I'm a little worried about my body fat percentage. How accurate are scales that measure body fat? How accurate are calculators that go by body measurements to calculate body fat %?
My scale says my Body Fat is 37%. Wowzers!

I have lost lots of weight. My BMI is now 24. And I am roughly 15lbs away from complete goal weight.

My goal is to get a toned body with muscle definition. I planned on starting my strength/weight training today.
Isn't is impossible for me to get muscle definition with that much body fat?

I would love suggestions on how to work towards getting rid of body fat. I was under the false impression that with lbs lost, body fat would follow.
I ave been doing cardio (which I change up) and some basic strength (push ups, squats, lunges, etc). What now?

I feel like I have come to a screeching halt. :( Can't seem to lose any more pounds either.

Maybe this strength/weight training plan is exactly what my body needs at this point. What do you think?

Thanks everyone for letting me vent. :) I really appreciate any help/advice. Thanks.

Can I just go to my doctor to get body fat measured accurately?

Replies

• docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    You should start weight training last week. It sounds to me like you've lost considerable lean mass while losing weight. Just be prepared to gain weight with water retention, bone density increase, etc.
  • DocGu
    DocGu Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Those body fat scales are way too inaccurate to think twice about.
  • obum88
    obum88 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Get caliphers and have someone measure you. Maybe consider a handheld body fat analyzer and also if you can go get dipped that is the most accurate way. Also how is your body inches wise?
  • turquoise_elephant
    turquoise_elephant Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    The most accurate body fat measurement is the immersion method, but it's pricey! The scales won't be completely accurate, but they'll give you a good idea. You don't say what your body fat percentage is so it's difficult to say much about muscle definition, but strength training should have been in your workout routine from the very beginning. As docktor said, it sounds like you've lost lean mass.

Keep up with the cardio to help shift more excess fat, and incorporate strength exercises to build your muscle mass again. Expect the scales to stay the same or even go up as you introduce strength workouts, but after a few weeks it will balance again, and you'll start to see the numbers decrease again.

I don't know what diet you've been following, but if it's low calorie, that could be another reason for losing lean mass. Up your calorie intake if you need to (it should be above 1200 at all times) and make sure you're getting lots of protein in. Good luck!
  • littlewitch1973
    Options
    Definitely do more strength training. Before you do though, take your measurements and put away the scale. You will see the numbers on the scale go up, but the inches go down.... this will mess with your head, so make sure you hide the scale. Take measurements once a week, or once every two weeks - watch how your clothes fit, and also monitor how you feel. I can tell you since starting my strength training, my endurance is WAY up, I am stronger in everything I do, and although I havent lost pounds (I actually gained 5 pounds at one point!) I lost 2 clothing sizes!!

I had a trainer measure my body fat percentage over a period of 3 months. I lost 6% of my body fat once I started strength training, and lowered my cardio considerably. Good luck!!
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Start lifting as heavy as you can and keep going back for more heavy. Build muscle and a nice healthy look that way. Also make sure that your getting enough protein each day. You've done well now you'll finish strong. :flowerforyou:
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Definitely do more strength training. Before you do though, take your measurements and put away the scale. You will see the numbers on the scale go up, but the inches go down.... this will mess with your head, so make sure you hide the scale. Take measurements once a week, or once every two weeks - watch how your clothes fit, and also monitor how you feel. I can tell you since starting my strength training, my endurance is WAY up, I am stronger in everything I do, and although I havent lost pounds (I actually gained 5 pounds at one point!) I lost 2 clothing sizes!!

I had a trainer measure my body fat percentage over a period of 3 months. I lost 6% of my body fat once I started strength training, and lowered my cardio considerably. Good luck!!
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    what kind of strength training do you do?
  • aegisprncs
    aegisprncs Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat and getting ready to start focusing on strength instead of cardio. I, too, am ready for looking firm & fit. Here's to good work outs!
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    You should start weight training last week. It sounds to me like you've lost considerable lean mass while losing weight. Just be prepared to gain weight with water retention, bone density increase, etc.

I really don't think so. :-/
    I've done basic strength and worked my muscles. I also have muscles where I never did before. Such as my legs.
  • Silvercivic
    Silvercivic Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    my scale said I am at 28% BF... then I had a trainer use a caliper to determine my BF and she said that I am at 25% BF. So in my experience the scale isn't so accurate...
  • amandavictoria80
    Options
    what kind of strength training do you do?

Push Ups, Planks, Squats, Lunges, Abs, etc. Just basic.

I also do them a lot on a WBV machine.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Start doing heavy compound lifts.

Barbell Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press, Standing Barbell Shoulder Press

Eat plenty of protein and lift every other day.

Profit.
  • Michelle81285
    Options
    The scales are so in accurate with body fat, you can not believe them. My husband who trains as a body builder has literally no body fat it says he has like 30%!!
  • Susan923
    Susan923 Posts: 61
    Options
    Hit that strength training!! Thats what you need. You will be very happy with what happens to your body. Good luck!!
  • mandypooh2103
    mandypooh2103 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    bump
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who have said up the protein and lift heavy. If you lost weight but your body fat hasn't really changed (provided your calculation method is right) you've lost muscle mass. There's nothing else to lose if you lost weight but body fat hasn't changed much.

Increase cals, increase protein and lift heavy will build muscles and lower your body fat %.
  • amandavictoria80
    Options
    The most accurate body fat measurement is the immersion method, but it's pricey! The scales won't be completely accurate, but they'll give you a good idea. You don't say what your body fat percentage is so it's difficult to say much about muscle definition, but strength training should have been in your workout routine from the very beginning. As docktor said, it sounds like you've lost lean mass.

Keep up with the cardio to help shift more excess fat, and incorporate strength exercises to build your muscle mass again. Expect the scales to stay the same or even go up as you introduce strength workouts, but after a few weeks it will balance again, and you'll start to see the numbers decrease again.

I don't know what diet you've been following, but if it's low calorie, that could be another reason for losing lean mass. Up your calorie intake if you need to (it should be above 1200 at all times) and make sure you're getting lots of protein in. Good luck!

My body fat is 37%. I don't think I've lost lean mass because I have been incorporating strength into my workouts. Just not a weight training plan. Which is what I plan to do now.
    MFP put my calories at 1200 so I don't go above that. And I eat a ton of protein everyday. My nutrition is spot on.
  • turningstar
    turningstar Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I have one of those scales too, and it told me a while back that I was 40% body fat. No way that was accurate. I looked at your diary, and wanted to say that if you really start lifting, you need to eat a lot more. Especially protein. I am doing new rules of lifting for women and love it. I also eat anywhere from 150-200 grams of protein a day and eat at least 2000 calories a day. That is the best way to build REAL, STRONG muscle. If you were doing some strength, but were eating a deficit, you probably did lose some muscle mass. You really have to fuel your muscles to build them. You will never regret it!

Check out the group- eat more to weigh less. A lot of us do weight lifting. Good luck!
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    They aren't very accurate, you could drink a glass of water and then weigh again and it would change