3500 Calories

Options
I have been working out with a trainer for about 2 months...it is really working and I feel great! I have a couple questions tho...and always forget to ask him...

I know that it takes 3500 burned calories to lose a pound...he has told me and I have read it several places...

So lets say I eat 1200 a day...which say in 5 days equals 6000.... do I need to burn those 6000 plus the 3500? I am so confused! I have lost about 8 lbs and many inches...so am feeling good...but am needing some extra push!

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    If you're eating 1200 calories, you're already at a deficit (assuming you're not a ten-year-old kid). At that point you shouldn't be trying to "burn" anything off that 1200 calories. As a warm-blooded animal, a good portion of your calorie intake will be spent just keeping your body warm, along with other processes necessary to being alive.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    do I need to burn those 6000 plus the 3500? I am so confused! I have lost about 8 lbs and many inches...so am feeling good...but am needing some extra push!

Thanks for your help!
    Yes, you need to burn 9500. However, as mentioned above, you automatically burn calories just by being alive, even before you do any exercise. You burn probably somewhere between 1200 and 2200, depending on age, sex, size, and general activity level. Exercise is added on top of that.
  • MattHodder
    Options
    Bit tricky to follow your question, I hope I am answering what you asked.

Firstly you need to know what your daily requirements are, which MFP will tell you based on weight and activity levels. That is your baseline calories which if you ate you should neither lose or gain.

Next you create a deficit of calories by eating under that amount. So if you are recommended to eat say 1800 to stay neutral then eating 1200 will give you a net loss of 600 calories. It is those that count towards the 3500 (calories to lose a lb).

If you exercise as well those calories count towards that net deficit. In the above example if you burned 400 calories one day then your daily loss would be 1000! (600 + 400 lost through exercise)

On the bright side whatever you are doing sounds like it's working so don't fret too much!