Garmin Products & Birth Defects/Cancer?

Options
So, I was totally excited to receive my Garmin Premium Heartrate Monitor Strap to go with my new Forerunner 410 watch, when the fine print flashed in front of my eyes.

It reads: "Warning: This product, its packaging, and its components contain chemicals known in the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects, or reproductive harm. This Notice is being provided in accordance with California's Proposition 65."

It then refers the customer to this website:

http://www8.garmin.com/prop65/

Is anyone else concerned about this? Not only for my own health, but because I would like to try having a baby within the next few months.

Shannon

Replies

• SabKab16
    SabKab16 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I don't have that product, but I'd be 100% worried. Do not use it, and return it right away.
  • inraptorswetrust
    inraptorswetrust Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Don't eat the packaging or product, don't drink the battery acid and you'll be fine.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Those same chemicals are in thousands of other products in your home. I don't see how adding one more will make that big of a difference.
  • bobaloo22
    bobaloo22 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    California will warn you nickel causes cancer. The same warning is on orthodontic wires for braces.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    When you follow the website link and read about it, my husband concluded that it sounded like a "cover your a**" type of thing that companies do, just in case people get sue-happy.

Has anyone else bought a Garmin product and was concern by this warning?

*LOL* I definately don't intend to eat the packaging OR the product.

Shannon
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I'd do a bit more research before you panic. California has some pretty stringent guidelines in place right now. You may find out that the chemicals and such in question are in a number of products in your home right now, but were produced outside of California. Plus, it "contain" those chemicals - are you breathing them in or eating them or are they entirely contained? Try to put it in perspective. Car exhaust has chemicals that can be damaging to babies. Are you going to live in a purified air bubble?
  • icrant
    icrant Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Don't eat the packaging or product, don't drink the battery acid and you'll be fine.
    ^^^ This ^^^
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Don't ever eat corn again then.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    I refer you to this part "Garmin has chosen to provide a warning based on its knowledge about the presence of one or more listed chemicals without attempting to evaluate the level of exposure. With Garmin's products, the exposure may be negligible or well within the “no significant risk” range. However, out of an abundance of caution, Garmin has elected to place the Proposition 65 warning signs on its products."

Really, big fuss about nothing. Less harmful than aspartame or stevia in my opinion.
  • saustin201
    saustin201 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    California is regulated to the hilt. To certain people in California we need to go back and live in the pioneer days.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    Imagine the hissy fit they'd have about the radiation levels in Cornwall!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Pretty much -everything- in California has this label. Seriously. You see this **** in restaurant windows.
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I like how it says "chemicals known in the state of California". Like the rest of us have a different knowledge set or something.
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    California will warn you nickel causes cancer. The same warning is on orthodontic wires for braces.

Pretty much -everything- in California has this label. Seriously. You see this **** in restaurant windows.

It has become a race between CA and NY to see who can set more regulations in place to control your life and scare you into thinking that unless you are eatting the goverment Tofu you will die a Wicked Witch death. I am a male and I do not live in either state but I have relatives who do and I slept at a Days Inn once. I would not concern myself with the warning anymore then be aware it exists just like Gasoline; warm interiors of vehicles; the asphalt.....
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, you've definitely put this in perspective. I would think if things like this were truly harmful, there would be more people out there advocating about it. It's like a few of you said, there are lots of things that we expose ourselves to daily that can be just as harmful.

Shannon
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    It's a California thing. I've seen those stickers on tons of stuff, all specifically directed at the state of California. Can we say over-regulated much?