Random Blood donor question!

Options
123Allyxox
123Allyxox Posts: 112 Member
So I donate pretty regularly and have never gotten dizzy or passed out. The only bad thing thats happened was a new phleb blew one of my veins once. But today for some reason I got really hot and started seeing dots, I almost passed out and the phleb lowerd the chair put mt feet up and told me to make myself cough, fot a cold rag and stuff and I was fine. Anywho, my question is- why do they tell you to cough?

Replies

• 123Allyxox
    Options
    :)
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Maybe to focus you on taking a deep breath. Google it or wait for a nurse to read your post :-)
  • 123Allyxox
    Options
    Maybe to focus you on taking a deep breath. Google it or wait for a nurse to read your post :-)

I googled it and all I'm getting is, "how to fake sick."
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,184 Member
    Options
    Ever get a headache from coughing when you have a chest cold? I do. When you cough you increase the blood pressure to your head. That increase in pressure would be enough to counteract the drop in pressure (dizzy/pass out feeling) you experienced after giving blood. This is just a guess....I am not a doctor or in the medical field in any way.:ohwell:
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    So I donate pretty regularly and have never gotten dizzy or passed out. The only bad thing thats happened was a new phleb blew one of my veins once. But today for some reason I got really hot and started seeing dots, I almost passed out and the phleb lowerd the chair put mt feet up and told me to make myself cough, fot a cold rag and stuff and I was fine. Anywho, my question is- why do they tell you to cough?
    You are told to cough, cause it is one of two ways the lungs can clear themselves out... clear lungs means more O2, more O2 in the blood to the brain...means no passing out.

I just took anatomy and physiology, and that was partially covered in the respiratory system chapter
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Actually, the pressure answer is the right one. You weren't hypoxic, no need to clear your lungs. You were having pressure issues, and coughing increases chest,head,neck pressure.