tall guys

Options
Im 6'4" and have heard varying stories on how much i should weigh. ive heard i could be as low as 175 which im not totally buying, ive also heard that my current weight (215) is good. tall dudes of mfp lend me your wisdom! how much is a good weight

Replies

• lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    6'3 here. Doctor says 175-190#. I think he is crazy. Lowest I ever been was 230 in my jr. year of high school. I was pretty content @ that weight. I am shooting for 200-220.
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    6'2 and i've always heard i should be around 185 but i would look like a crackhead lol. my goal is 220
  • itsafrappe
    itsafrappe Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    6'3 here. Doctor says 175-190#. I think he is crazy. Lowest I ever been was 230 in my jr. year of high school. I was pretty content @ that weight. I am shooting for 200-220.

i think im with you on the 200-220 although i would like to be on the lower end of that, but with lean muscle. i know i probably have a high percentage of fat still. congrats on your weight loss btw!
  • eesuperstar
    eesuperstar Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm 6'3 and when I was in the Navy the maximum I could weigh was 215. I'm using that as a goal to get back to.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'2" and looked and felt overweight at about 208lbs. I lost 30 lbs and am now 178lbs and look better than I have in a long time. You won't look as skinny as you think if you're losing fat. People will of course tell you that you look too skinny at first because they are used to the "fatter" you. So from personal experience I'm going to agree with the weight range your doc gave you.
  • DonttrythatwithME
    DonttrythatwithME Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    im 6'2 186lbs 12% body fat if that helps?
  • itsafrappe
    Options
    6'2 and i've always heard i should be around 185 but i would look like a crackhead lol. my goal is 220

i was actually told i was starting to look like a cancer patient the other day at work because of my bald head and having lost 25 pounds, but i have to take that with a grain of salt considerin how obese we are as a country people are used to seeing fat and thinking that is the norm instead of healthy. i know skinny doesnt mean healthy but im need to get as much off as i can to help relieve pressure from my joints due to my arthritis
  • bigdal77
    bigdal77 Posts: 69
    Options
    hi i'm 6'3 and my goal is 198 but saying that im gonna go for that and then hit the weights so i will put some back on
    only 19 lb to go and im there so not that long im already 253 lb down so 19 nothing but it's taking its time coming off :)
  • itsafrappe
    Options
    I'm 6'2" and looked and felt overweight at about 208lbs. I lost 30 lbs and am now 178lbs and look better than I have in a long time. You won't look as skinny as you think if you're losing fat. People will of course tell you that you look too skinny at first because they are used to the "fatter" you. So from personal experience I'm going to agree with the weight range your doc gave you.

ok that makes me feel better about what my doc said. he actually told me 195 which is what i set my goal for whereas i heard the 175 from a friend.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options

i was actually told i was starting to look like a cancer patient the other day at work because of my bald head and having lost 25 pounds, but i have to take that with a grain of salt considerin how obese we are as a country people are used to seeing fat and thinking that is the norm instead of healthy. i know skinny doesnt mean healthy but im need to get as much off as i can to help relieve pressure from my joints due to my arthritis

I'm not a tall guy....but am shocked someone would be so rude to say that to you, ugh!!
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Im 6'4" and have heard varying stories on how much i should weigh. ive heard i could be as low as 175 which im not totally buying, ive also heard that my current weight (215) is good. tall dudes of mfp lend me your wisdom! how much is a good weight

Depends on desired leanness and overall muscle mass.. But to get lean enough to see 6 pack - 10-12% body fat, expect a weight of around 195 lbs or so with slightly above average muscle mass. With average or below average, expect 180's.

I'm 6.1", 10-11% body fat, 180 lbs.
  • itsafrappe
    Options

I'm not a tall guy....but am shocked someone would be so rude to say that to you, ugh!!

yeah theres not a lot of couth(sp) where i work, after the initial shock of the statement i realized that meant what i was doing was working. i guess this was their ignoraant way of paying a compliment?
  • itsafrappe
    Options

Depends on desired leanness and overall muscle mass.. But to get lean enough to see 6 pack - 10-12% body fat, expect a weight of around 195 lbs or so with slightly above average muscle mass. With average or below average, expect 180's.

I'm 6.1", 10-11% body fat, 180 lbs.

thanks man this helps